Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU261 with TK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have now waited for 8 weeks on a second response. I've sent two replies thru the feed back form asking why there is no response but besides the automatic reply have not heard anything. Is there any trick to make Turkish Airlines to response. This is related to the EC261 claim made where I did get an initial offer of some miles.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:35 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
I have now waited for 8 weeks on a second response. I've sent two replies thru the feed back form asking why there is no response but besides the automatic reply have not heard anything. Is there any trick to make Turkish Airlines to response. This is related to the EC261 claim made where I did get an initial offer of some miles.
It seems to take more time if you don't have status. But if they initially offered you miles, they will/should come back with a cash offer in the following stage. Hopefully soon. With Elite status, I don't think I've waited more than a week for a response from them.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:17 am
TSE

Programs: BA, LH, AF, TK
Regarding the original question, does the length of the connection in Istanbul affect the eligibility? I recently had 28 hours between an EU and a (subsequently cancelled) non-EU flight (booked on the same PNR). I know that 24 hours is used to distinguish between a connection and a stopover in other contexts but not sure whether this affects the jurisdiction of a potential compensation claim.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Most likely it will be viewed as separate flights when a IST stopover rather than connection. Just my assumption.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:18 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Most likely it will be viewed as separate flights when a IST stopover rather than connection. Just my assumption.
I would assume the same. If pax chooses connection that is over 24 hours, the ticket becomes a multi-city ticket and those segments would be regarded as individual flights for EC261 purposes.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Finally got my case partially resolved after 4 months of waiting. The problem is that they issued a payment for only one of the three passengers in the claim....so back to waiting to see what happens.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:45 pm

Programs: TK ElitePlus, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
I recently had to stay overnight in IST due to the missed IST-ZRH segment as a result of a delayed MLE-IST.

Since the return flight originated outside of the EU I was wondering if I'm out of luck or some other regulations may apply here, like the document https://web.shgm.gov.tr/doc4/shy-passenger.pdf linked earlier in this thread
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EU Reg 261/04 doesn't apply. You can try the Turkish regulation adopted by TK, but give it a try and write to TK about comp. and see what happens.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 10:06 am

“Disruptions due to reasons beyond our control”

My flight (TK1682 April 16th 2024) was originated from FCO got delayed causing my connecting flight to be missed and us arriving 5 hours beyond the original time of our arrival. I sent a feedback asking compensation (EC261) through their website, but they refused to pay compensation saying, “However, even though all our flight preparations are completed, in some cases problems may occur that we cannot control.”

Am I out of luck? Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why was the flight delayed? They are basically telling you that the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances which exempt the airline for paying compensation for delay under EU Reg. 261/04. If true, you don't have a claim.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Why was the flight delayed? They are basically telling you that the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances which exempt the airline for paying compensation for delay under EU Reg. 261/04. If true, you don't have a claim.
The flight was delayed due to the late arrival of the aircraft (TK1861). I, however, do not know why the previous flight was delayed..
Old Apr 25, 2024, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. Then it is difficult to tell if the delay of the incoming aircraft was indeed caused by extraordinary circumstances. Fact is that it will be difficult to get money out of TK for this one when you have received this answer, so you may have to consider how much time you are going to spend on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.