Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Increased Award Change/Cancel Fees?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2023, 2:26 am

Programs: KF
Im newbie with TK, but been with KF for years.. I was with call center today booking an award tix for me and my wife as the website kept giving me an error. The agent was very patient through out the process and even telling me the refund and reissue penalty of 70 usd. During the payment stage of the booking, the agent said, "oh before I forget, in case of refund, miles are not refundable, it will not be returned to your account:. I was astonished but doesnt want to argue, so i told him that I will think it over and hang up. On retrospect, Im thinking probably its like the SQ version of spontaneous award redemption which is very restricted??. For reference. the flight is from Europe to SE Asia, on Y class, 30k one way per pax and written as promotional economy fare which I assumed is the equivalent of Saver in KF version. Any idea? please enlighten me.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Have your miles expired? This is the only situation that you won't get a refund of your miles.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I was wondering - I made a change, supposedly *after* the new rules, but the ticket was issued a long time before and we were charged the $70.00 for a cancellation.

Is this the same scenario? Or would this stand as per TK's thinking?
They certainly should only charge the $25 fee, so a refunbd would be in order.

This was confirmed in the Jeddah sales office where they initially wanted $70 for rescheduling, but when I pointed out the purchase date (and after a good measure of key-pressing by the agent), i was charged $25
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: KF
Originally Posted by nacho
Have your miles expired? This is the only situation that you won't get a refund of your miles.
Nope. Miles was transferred to my mm accounr just merely 3 days ago and the fliight is on June.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by wanderer9020
Nope. Miles was transferred to my mm accounr just merely 3 days ago and the fliight is on June.
Then your miles should be refunded.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
Originally Posted by wanderer9020
Im newbie with TK, but been with KF for years.. I was with call center today booking an award tix for me and my wife as the website kept giving me an error. The agent was very patient through out the process and even telling me the refund and reissue penalty of 70 usd. During the payment stage of the booking, the agent said, "oh before I forget, in case of refund, miles are not refundable, it will not be returned to your account:. I was astonished but doesnt want to argue, so i told him that I will think it over and hang up. On retrospect, Im thinking probably its like the SQ version of spontaneous award redemption which is very restricted??. For reference. the flight is from Europe to SE Asia, on Y class, 30k one way per pax and written as promotional economy fare which I assumed is the equivalent of Saver in KF version. Any idea? please enlighten me.
Welcome to TK's customer service where agents are notoriously known to be providing incorrect information. I'm not surprised by it, but I can understand how it can be shocking. Your miles would be refunded indeed unless they're expired.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 8:56 pm

did i understand right that the change/cancel fee for a roundtrip / open jaw ticket (single PNR) is $70, and not $140?

also, has anyone been successful in getting TK to waive the fee when there is a 15 min change in schedule?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
did i understand right that the change/cancel fee for a roundtrip / open jaw ticket (single PNR) is $70, and not $140?

also, has anyone been successful in getting TK to waive the fee when there is a 15 min change in schedule?
1- One single ticket has a $70 fee; the number of segments in the ticket is irrelevant in this case.
2- Yes, the fee is waived for schedule changes over 15 minutes.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
But might not be waived for a schedule change of exactly 15min (this was how I read the Q from the OP). But give it a try.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
1- One single ticket has a $70 fee; the number of segments in the ticket is irrelevant in this case.
2- Yes, the fee is waived for schedule changes over 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
But might not be waived for a schedule change of exactly 15min (this was how I read the Q from the OP). But give it a try.
thank you both . once cancelled , how quick does the refund of miles and fees, respectively, come back to you?
Old Nov 27, 2023, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Zzzzyi
Hi! If I book an M&S award ticket for the end of March this year, how likely do you think a >15min change is going to happen? I'm hesitant about whether I should book a 45k business promotional ticket on a not-as-good date in the hope that an involuntary change will happen and I can reschedule it to my ideal date. This is for a ticket from North America to IST. Thanks!
Just to report back on the result: I booked a late March BOS-IST-ASR ticket in January, and by the time of March 1st, the two legs have each had a 5-minute change. It didn't qualify for the >15 minute requirement, but I was able to change my flight to a JFK-IST-ASR ticket without cost, since I fortunately found a 45k business availability one day earlier and my trip plan was flexible enough to accommodate that. So to summarize: I lost on my original gamble, but it still worked out in the end.
SK AAR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.