Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Increased Award Change/Cancel Fees?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
New Increased Award Change/Cancel Fees?

Was just speaking to an agent to get a *A award booked when she read out the new cancel/change fees to be USD 70.00.

Just FYI...
Old Dec 18, 2022, 12:02 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Just booked an award ticket on the app, fee has more than doubled from 25 to 70 usd for reissue or cancellation.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Bad news indeed!

Just keep in mind that (invol) rebooking or full refund is without fee in case of >15min schedule change or cancellation (both are very common with TK).
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Bad news indeed!

Just keep in mind that (invol) rebooking or full refund is without fee in case of >15min schedule change or cancellation (both are very common with TK).
Next thing they do they might make the schedule change >2hrs

Sad to see the development of Turkiye Lira (I think that's the reason why they put up fees like that).
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
That would be a much worse change that the increased change fee. I have stopped counting the times I have rebooked or cancelled M&S award tickets under this generous rule. In fact I have paid the change fee only once (and I have yet to have an award ticket which hasn't been rebooked at least once or twice, including change of destinations ).

Sad to see the development of Turkiye Lira (I think that's the reason why they put up fees like that).
Hmm..That can't be the reason. As long as TK charge the fee in USD the revenue is protected against the fluctuating/decreasing TRL.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by SK AAR
That would be a much worse change that the increased change fee. I have stopped counting the times I have rebooked or cancelled M&S award tickets under this generous rule. In fact I have paid the change fee only once (and I have yet to have an award ticket which hasn't been rebooked at least once or twice, including change of destinations ).

Hmm..That can't be the reason. As long as TK charge the fee in USD the revenue is protected against the fluctuating/decreasing TRL.
Yes it is, so no reason to give TK any idea as this is an open forum

Well, if they increase the change fee it doesn't make them less competitive for the revenue ticket market. It's also weird that they use USD instead of their home currency (I know it has been the case for a while).
Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
The 15 minute rule is set by the Turkish Civil Aviation Authority ( SHGM ) and that is why TK is following that rule.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
I received the following screen after booking an award ticket where the cancellation and change have different fee amounts

This one is weird because change is $70 and cancellation is $25. I think this is just a bug in the system, since it just doesn't make sense.
Alfredbali and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:04 pm

Came here just to rant about this... looks like they are treating the award tickets like ExtraFly tickets.

I guess I can't book award tickets speculatively anymore because $50 I could live with, $140 is too much.
Alfredbali likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by katofunanori
I guess I can't book award tickets speculatively anymore....
Maybe that is one of the reasons for the increased fee...
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by katofunanori
Came here just to rant about this... looks like they are treating the award tickets like ExtraFly tickets.

I guess I can't book award tickets speculatively anymore because $50 I could live with, $140 is too much.
You could always book a round-trip as a single ticket.
No need to book them separately and this includes open jaws.

However, this must be done through the call center or a sales office.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You could always book a round-trip as a single ticket.
No need to book them separately and this includes open jaws.

However, this must be done through the call center or a sales office.
I am not booking it as separate tickets. I am selecting the "round-trip" option and trying to book a simple A-to-B-back-to-A ticket but it is treating them separately I guess.

Will try the call center option next time (this should be fun...).
Old Dec 25, 2022, 1:06 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Also note that in addition to the increased change and refund fee, award tickets are not refundable anymore in case of no-show (used to be 50usd fee).
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Applies to *A awards too?
Old Dec 28, 2022, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
Applies to *A awards too?
I think so.

By the way, *A award taxes have become *extortionate*!

I just was going through the rigamarole with a TK agent (who was slow as molasses) and the BOM-FRA-BLL taxes came out to USD 318!

This is like 3-4x the previously charged amount!

I ended up using LM to ticket (for $87) - as the "wonderful" TK system took my payment, but could not authorize the withdrawal of miles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.