Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

*A Gold Baggage Allowance for Business Award Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2021, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I have two questions:

First: Myself and another passenger will be flying DFW-KHI (via IST) on TK in biz (I awards), booked via Aeroplan. Both passengers are *A Gold, but I'm confused as to the extra bag allowance for Gold members. A TK phone agent confirmed that both passengers would get 2 bags each at 32kg as part of the ticket, but the extra bag (following the piece concept, since it's a US flight) would be 23kg. Is this accurate? I had thought the "+1 piece" benefit meant one additional bag at the weight limit of the other bags in the reservation, but apparently, it's 23kg.

What's even more confusing is that TK, on its website, states:
On routes with piece baggage concept, the maximum weight of 1 piece of baggage is 23 kg for Economy Class and 32 kg for Business Class. A one piece baggage weighing 23 kg can be checked-in as excess baggage both for Economy Class and for Business Class. On these routes, 80 USD will be charged per piece for excess baggage weighing between 23-32 kg.
(https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...xcess-baggage/)

So, is the second sentence what TK is going off of to limit the baggage size for the +1 piece to 23kg?

Second: How will the TK agent at check-in know of my Gold status, aside from me telling him/her? Both passengers' AC 50k FF numbers are linked to the reservation, and the TK agent verified this. Is that enough?

Thank you for your help.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Does it really makes a difference if the second bag is 32kg or 23 kg? Are you expecting to bring more than 55kg each person?
Chr04 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
It is accurate - 2x32kg+1x23kg
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Does it really makes a difference if the second bag is 32kg or 23 kg? Are you expecting to bring more than 55kg each person?
Yes, it does. Most of the weight is attributed to gifts for family and friends, which is not uncommon. The extra 9kg each could be the difference between getting an extra bag or not.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BRflyer
It is accurate - 2x32kg+1x23kg
Thank you!
​​​​
Old Dec 5, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Flyer2k21
Hello,

Second: How will the TK agent at check-in know of my Gold status, aside from me telling him/her? Both passengers' AC 50k FF numbers are linked to the reservation, and the TK agent verified this. Is that enough?
Yes - I've received my additional luggage (and other benefits) simply by the FF number being linked to the reservation. It wouldn't hurt to take your gold card (either digital or plastic).
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Deleted
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydunipete
Yes - I've received my additional luggage (and other benefits) simply by the FF number being linked to the reservation. It wouldn't hurt to take your gold card (either digital or plastic).
Great, thank you for that insight. Our FF numbers are already linked, and we both have digital cards, so hopefully, we should be good to go.
sydunipete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.