FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html)

SFOTraveler1984 Feb 21, 2021 1:11 am

Originally Posted by daslax (Post 33051149)
I’ve had such a hard time with getting the sales offices to respond, is this really the only way to process the refund?

Yes, unfortunately this is the only way. I had this a few times in the past. If a ticket is changed too many times, the refund cannot be processed anymore by the hotline. I believe this is because the hotline agents have limited power and if the refund information doesn't come up automatically they are stuck. The agent then sees no refund amount at all, or amount = 0 or some amount in Turkish Lira (even though the ticket was in a different currency). I had all of these cases.
I have tried Feedback forms, called again - all the things that sometimes work with TK.
But for this problem, it has to be a sales office... I was told by a sales office that only the sales office of the originating airport would assume responsibility and process the refund. I know, pretty ridiculous ...

ISTFlyer Feb 21, 2021 3:16 am

If you have a sales office in your city, I would suggest you to go there in person as it expedites the process.

As your location is NYC, there is a sales office in JFK Terminal 1 that could help you. Yes, sales offices might not open the phones of the customer or not reply to their e-mails, however, they do not turn back passengers who show up in person.

Scandinavian traveler Feb 24, 2021 6:58 am

I have just had a trip to the Seychelles in April cancelled by Turkish Airlines. I assumed that I would be able to reschedule for next year (or end of this year), but I understand from post #3 that tickets can only be changed by up to 30 days after original departure? I don't even think Turkish Airlines is resuming flights at that point. Would it be possible to be rebooked for next April or November/December if I call Turkish Airlines or show up at the sales office in my town (which I assume is currently closed)?

ISTFlyer Feb 24, 2021 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler (Post 33058486)
I have just had a trip to the Seychelles in April cancelled by Turkish Airlines. I assumed that I would be able to reschedule for next year (or end of this year), but I understand from post #3 that tickets can only be changed by up to 30 days after original departure? I don't even think Turkish Airlines is resuming flights at that point. Would it be possible to be rebooked for next April or November/December if I call Turkish Airlines or show up at the sales office in my town (which I assume is currently closed)?

There is a TK policy in place that for cancellations ( not schedule changes ), you are able to rebook once until 31 December 2021 and complete travel by then. Again, the fare difference would be waived for only the first change and once you accepted new dates, you would be no longer get a refund or change your tickets without paying a fare difference. If you still don't have precise dates, I would strongly suggest you to convert your ticket to an open ticket for now and schedule flights when you have a definitive date to travel; still, no fare difference would be collected for your first rebooking. You should be able to call or contact a sales office for this transaction.

Traveling in April 2022 would be impossible for your case unless you get a refund and purchase a new ticket or convert your ticket to an open ticket and hope that TK extends the validity COVID-19 rebooking policy.

By the way, thanks for alerting me, in the next update, I would update post #3 about involuntary cancellations allowing rebooking until 31 December 2021.

Scandinavian traveler Feb 24, 2021 7:16 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 33058508)
There is a TK policy in place that for cancellations ( not schedule changes ), you are able to rebook once until 31 December 2021 and complete travel by then. Again, the fare difference would be waived for only the first change and once you accepted new dates, you would be no longer get a refund or change your tickets without paying a fare difference. If you still don't have precise dates, I would strongly suggest you to convert your ticket to an open ticket for now and schedule flights when you have a definitive date to travel; still, no fare difference would be collected for your first rebooking. You should be able to call or contact a sales office for this transaction.

Traveling in April 2022 would be impossible for your case unless you get a refund and purchase a new ticket or convert your ticket to an open ticket and hope that TK extends the validity COVID-19 rebooking policy.

By the way, thanks for alerting me, in the next update, I would update post #3 about involuntary cancellations allowing rebooking until 31 December 2021.

Thanks for your quick reply, ISTFlyer. Do I need to convert to an open ticket or schedule new flights prior to the cancelled flights departure time or what would happen if I just did nothing now and took action at a later point in time?

ISTFlyer Feb 24, 2021 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler (Post 33058526)
Thanks for your quick reply, ISTFlyer. Do I need to convert to an open ticket or schedule new flights prior to the cancelled flights departure time or what would happen if I just did nothing now and took action at a later point in time?

If you're offered alternative flights, you need to take action until 2 hours before the first flight departs.
If not, you could wait and not take action at this point until you decide.

Converting your ticket to an open ticket and not taking action is almost the same thing if TK didn't offer you alternative flights.

Another reminder that if you have booked with a travel agency, I suggest that you take action as they might screw up your booking at a later stage. If you booked with TK directly follow the steps above.

Scandinavian traveler Feb 24, 2021 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 33058547)
If you're offered alternative flights, you need to take action until 2 hours before the first flight departs.
If not, you could wait and not take action at this point until you decide.

Converting your ticket to an open ticket and not taking action is almost the same thing if TK didn't offer you alternative flights.

Another reminder that if you have booked with a travel agency, I suggest that you take action as they might screw up your booking at a later stage. If you booked with TK directly follow the steps above.

Thanks a lot, ISTFlyer!

Flights to/from Istanbul have been rescheduled slightly, so I guess I'll have to convert to an open ticket or change dates prior to the day of departure. Luckily booked with TK directly.

freefalcon Feb 24, 2021 10:13 pm

Will PCR test be required to enter Turkey after March 1st, are there any updates about that?

ISTFlyer Feb 24, 2021 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by freefalcon (Post 33060367)
Will PCR test be required to enter Turkey after March 1st, are there any updates about that?

I haven't heard anything about the restriction being extended, though, on TIMATIC the date "1 March" has been removed and I would interpret this as it's been extended until further notice.

kaspars Mar 1, 2021 10:15 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 33060464)
I haven't heard anything about the restriction being extended, though, on TIMATIC the date "1 March" has been removed and I would interpret this as it's been extended until further notice.

Fully correct... now without any deadline:
Passengers must have a medical certificate with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) PCR test result. The test must have been taken at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point.
This does not apply to passengers younger than 6 years.

ffay005 Mar 2, 2021 4:34 am

This probably isn't the right thread, but I didn't find anything better. In November, when I flew TK last time, they force-checked all carry-ons as some covid requirement. Has this ended?

If the only carry-on I'm bringing is a 55x38x19 cm rollaboard, can I take it in the cabin with me? Flights are next week. Thanks!

ISTFlyer Mar 2, 2021 4:36 am

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 33071480)
This probably isn't the right thread, but I didn't find anything better. In November, when I flew TK last time, they force-checked all carry-ons as some covid requirement. Has this ended?

If the only carry-on I'm bringing is a 55x38x19 cm rollaboard, can I take it in the cabin with me? Flights are next week. Thanks!

Yes, that restriction has ended.

ffay005 Mar 2, 2021 4:47 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 33071483)
Yes, that restriction has ended.

Perfect, thanks! I was counting on you to answer :) Also, it appears that Y catering will still be paper bags and bread rolls, right? HEL-IST-TGD and back.

ISTFlyer Mar 2, 2021 4:50 am

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 33071495)
Perfect, thanks! I was counting on you to answer :) Also, it appears that Y catering will still be paper bags and bread rolls, right? HEL-IST-TGD and back.

HEL-IST -> Sandwich, cake, juice, water in a paper bag
IST-TGD -> Only water would be served

Dselvan Mar 2, 2021 5:02 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 33071498)
HEL-IST -> Sandwich, cake, juice, water in a paper bag
IST-TGD -> Only water would be served

Any idea when they are going to stop the downgraded catering and go back to normal catering?
Got long haul business class flights in May and wondering if it is likely to return by then (if we are allowed to travel of course)?