Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Brief Flight Report -- TK8 IAD - IST on June 20, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brief Flight Report -- TK8 IAD - IST on June 20, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:58 pm

Exclamation

disgusting experience....TK totally fall in my eyes.and all these "bla bla covid measures", just another peace of populism.
btw - how about alcohol?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGGDEL
Thanks for the detailed report. Curious to know how long the meal service took then? With everything boxed and limited drinks I'd have to imagine it was quick and then everyone off to bed!?
I'm taking ORD-IST soon - fingers crossed - with kids and those lights can't go out fast enough! Hard to convince a 4 yr old to go to bed when everyone else is watching tv/eating/chatting etc.
very quick. They’ve started an hour after departing and all the J passengers got their boxes and drinks in 5 minutes or so.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raporot
disgusting experience....TK totally fall in my eyes.and all these "bla bla covid measures", just another peace of populism.
btw - how about alcohol?
honestly, I’m happy that we could fly. There were some rumors that TK wouldn’t start USA flights until September, and other options are also quite limited at this moment. Therefore, I didn’t care that much about the lack of service.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:20 am

Such a service is NOT acceptable for a long-haul flight in a premium class. Very sure they will switch to the old (normal) on-board service & dining experience sooner we would expect. This general hysteria & enhanced health/safety measures are becoming ridiculous.
no_idea, daisymay2, TPJ and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Is it just me but surely all the wrapping is done by hand, is that more dangerous than normal catering ? Just asking ?
no_idea, daisymay2 and raporot like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:37 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Is it just me but surely all the wrapping is done by hand, is that more dangerous than normal catering ? Just asking ?
The people working in kitchens wear gloves, masks and head covering routinely COVID or no COVID. I imagine it's no more dangerous than normal catering. In fact, normal catering shouldn't be dangerous at all, especially once cooked (viruses die when heated) - it's all a cost-cutting measure.

The only argument I can potentially see from a safety point of view - if it takes longer to eat, you'll be without a mask longer. If you're infected, this could potentially expose others to your virus for a longer period of time.
daisymay2, cheltzel and DaveS like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
1- Yes, the normal check-in baggage allowance for J + *G is the same. The only difference is that you have to check-in the carry-on as well, and it is included in your total allowance (So for *G flying in J, the baggage allowance is 3 regular suitcases up to 70 lbs each and 2 carry-on suitcases up to 17.6 lbs each)

2- It is only one piece of personal item such as a small backpack or a laptop bag. A hard-sided carry-on would not be allowed and this rule is the same for business passengers as well as economy passengers. Basically, anything that would not fit under an economy seat is not allowed. Having said that, I could use the overhead bins without any issues.
Great! Thanks for the info max_kolesne !
max_kolesne likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Thank you for this warning about TK product in J.
QR proves service and a good product can still be provided, so guess who will get my business..
no_idea, TPJ, cheltzel and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Thanks max_kolesne for the TR. Yes, I agree that this is a 1st world problem and a day in a coal mine would have been definitely worse, but the overall experience seemed quite depressing to me. Anyway, as I'm price sensitive, if TK sells J tickets at least 20% cheaper than QR I can still bear the downgrade, otherwise I'm also ready to move.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 12:05 pm

https://www.google.it/amp/s/amp.dw.c...ers/a-53936823

I would expect TK to switch back to the old onboard service & dining experience very soon after this news. Lufthansa Group is to increase number of flights significantly within the next weeks and their onboard service was not drastically reduced after Covid-19, unlike Turkish Airlines.
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Thanks, OP, for this great information.

Wow, TK must be saving so much money by eliminating the business class meal and bar experience. Er - I mean, um, they must be making the flying experience so much safer.

Jokes aside, I am glad to see them in the skies once again. And thanks again for the trip report.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thank you max_kolesne for sharing this report with us,
- For boarding at IST, when they are two jetbridges connected, they dedicate the front jetbridge for Business Class but in IAD, the contracted Swissport agents couldn't think that way. Obviously no priority boarding for Elites & *G's.
As a general information: TK (and possibly some other operators) do not allow an airbridge to be docked to door 1L on the 787s. The reason is that the pitot tubes are in the near vicinity of the head of the airbridge that docks on the 1L door. and airline fears these may get damaged in case of a small off-axis docking. This information, I have directly obtained from an airbridge operator at IST.
DaveS and max_kolesne like this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mafaky
As a general information: TK (and possibly some other operators) do not allow an airbridge to be docked to door 1L on the 787s. The reason is that the pitot tubes are in the near vicinity of the head of the airbridge that docks on the 1L door. and airline fears these may get damaged in case of a small off-axis docking. This information, I have directly obtained from an airbridge operator at IST.
Interestingly, I've heard the same thing. On all of my TK 787-9 flights ( 2 until now ), the front door ( 1L ) was not opened but I remember seeing a TK 787-9 which was docked to both jetbridges.
This might be the reason behind this.

However, it's still strange not to allow Business Class pax to board anytime as they would turn left from door 2L instead of passengers turning right.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

However, it's still strange not to allow Business Class pax to board anytime as they would turn left from door 2L instead of passengers turning right.
Maybe the've decided it's simpler for all concerned if boarding is carried out in the same way for all aircraft types and cabin layouts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.