Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK post-COVID Long-Haul Operations and Scheduling Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Palal
The up-to-date information about TK long-haul operations could be found here in this WIKI. Please keep in mind that the schedule is always subject to change and the information in this WIKI could be invalid anytime.

This WIKI is last updated at:
08 July 2020

The CURRENT FLIGHT PLAN is published here, but SHOULD NOT BE TRUSTED, as Turkish Airlines published a list of services that were to resume in July. Many of these promised services have since been cancelled.
It is advisable that you DO NOT TRUST ANY PUBLISHED SCHEDULES FROM Turkish Airlines as the airline has changed schedules at a moment's notice, leaving passengers stranded.
A number of cancellations have occurred 1-2 days before a long-haul flight was due to take place in early July (e.g. LAX)
The airline call centers are hard to reach if you want to change your flight.
If you buy a ticket you will not get your money back until the situation is over.
Thus it is advisable to look at historical on-time performance for the route you are considering booking and seriously consider alternative options if you want to get to your destination and not be stranded.

Routes that are Suspended until August

Beijing ( resuming 1 Aug )
Bogota ( resuming 2 Aug )
Guangzhou ( resuming 1 Aug )

Hanoi ( resuming 1 Aug )
Ho Chi Minh City ( resuming 1 Aug )
Xian ( resuming 1 Aug )

Routes that are Suspended until September

Buenos Aires ( resuming 3 Sep )

Routes that are Suspended until October

Caracas ( resuming 1 Oct )
Colombo ( resuming 1 Oct )
Durban ( resuming 1 Oct )
Havana ( resuming 1 Oct )
Male ( resuming 1 Oct )

Maputo ( resuming 2 Oct )
Phuket ( resuming 1 Oct )

Routes that are Suspended until the S21 season

Osaka
Tokyo Narita

Seasonal Routes that are Suspended for the S20 season

Moroni

New Routes that their Inaugural Flight has been Postponed

Newark ( postponed to 1 Aug )
Vancouver ( postponed 1 Sep )
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold

Hey Guys

I have a flight booked for 9/27 from ORD-MLE and just realized today that turkish has canceled all flights from IST-MLE until 10/1... or rather, they’ve stopped selling them (my segments have not been canceled yet).

I booked my ticket using AC aeroplan miles, but was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen on other routes? unclear whether TK is actually halting all flights to MLE until october which seems kinda wild considering the maldives are (likely) re opening to all nationalities in july (to be confirmed on 6/15)... this this would mean that TK will be missing out on a lot of potential revenue for 3 months if they halt the route all together...

if anyone has any news on this, any clarity would be much appreciated!

Last edited by rvlcr; Jun 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
So, first, if the Maldives is opening on 15 June, this does not mean that there would be a pre-COVID demand and the loads would be similar. Also keep in mind that with the reduced flights across the network of TK, many people would avoid long layovers/stopovers in IST.

As far as I see, Male and Colombo are both cancelled until 1 October and the summer seasonal Moroni route has also been cancelled for the S20 season.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:13 am
Original Poster

thx. i was just very surprised to see this since the ME3 have kept all their flights to MLE and qatar is scheduling a second daily flight in september. i guess we shall see what happens in the upcoming months.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
I'm in the same boat with the cancellation as I had an IST - MLE segment booked for July 18th and return on August 3rd. Best *alliance option at this point appears to be through Singapore until August 1st when other carriers appear to have things scheduled. ME3 really does appear to be the only viable route in outside of SIN.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:31 pm
soy

Programs: various
HKT is toast until Oct also. I had a flight for Aug (which I did not expect to take) and also got an email today
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:59 am
Original Poster

i wonder if they’re actual cancellations or just reshuffling timings. it appears that so many tourism focused destinations are getting canceled which makes sense but they’re really cutting a lot of their network by doing this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
In case of HKT, cancellation until October is probably sensible. The way the discussion goes in Thailand currently re opening for tourism, I do not see any chance for Europeans to get in any time before October. Thailand seems to be in talks with some Asian countries for some tourism before October.

I have a QR Flight to HKT in August - I guess it won't happen...
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
So the current long-haul cancellation list

Beijing ( resuming 1 Aug )
Buenos Aires ( resuming 3 Sep )
Caracas ( resuming 1 Oct )
Colombo ( resuming 1 Oct )
Durban ( resuming 1 Oct )
Guangzhou ( resuming 1 Aug )
Hanoi ( resuming 1 Aug )
Ho Chi Minh City ( resuming 1 Aug )
Male ( resuming 1 Oct )
Maputo ( resuming 2 Oct )
Moroni ( seasonal route - not operating on S20 )
Newark ( new route starting 1 Aug )
Osaka ( not operating until S21 )
Phuket ( resuming 1 Oct )
Tokyo Narita ( not operating until S21 )
Vancouver ( new route starting 1 Sep )
Xian ( resuming 1 Aug )
DaveS, rvlcr and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
In case of HKT, cancellation until October is probably sensible. The way the discussion goes in Thailand currently re opening for tourism, I do not see any chance for Europeans to get in any time before October. Thailand seems to be in talks with some Asian countries for some tourism before October.

I have a QR Flight to HKT in August - I guess it won't happen...
yes, if the country is closed for tourism until october then the decision is sensible since nobody will be on those flights. i know that the maldives is for sure opening in July for tourism, and a bunch of people have non-refundable bookings hotel that they made a long time ago for holidays this summer and in september... so im sure there will be some sort of demand becasue a lot of these bookings, if the country is seemingly open for tourism, are no longer going to be cancelable.

i guess we will wait and see what happens. Lets hope TK changes their mind as otherwise im not sure how else i will be able to get to MLE using AC miles.

Last edited by rvlcr; Jun 14, 2020 at 8:19 am
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: TK Elite+ Delta Platinum Medallion
IstFlyer any Insider Info on when JFK Flights may resume ?? Could it be July or does it look like August ?? Our Covid 19 situation in NYC is way better than some North America destinations that TK is flying into in June.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave69NewYork
IstFlyer any Insider Info on when JFK Flights may resume ?? Could it be July or does it look like August ?? Our Covid 19 situation in NYC is way better than some North America destinations that TK is flying into in June.
Sorry, I don't have any insider information about USA routes.
When I check the inventory I could see that inventory is available from 1 July but I assume that JFK would not be x3 daily if it resumes in July.

I expect to see more details on this soon.

And dear mod,

Could you please rename this thread as " TK post-COVID Long-Haul Operations and Scheduling Issues " or something similar.
I would create a WIKI here in the upcoming days ( probably until Tuesday ), related to long-haul schedules and postponements.
I do not want to open a new thread as there was a decent amount of long haul speculations here other than the Male route, here in this thread and we could use this one for a general overview.

Thank you.
DaveS and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:08 am

what with Bogota?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
For BOG I believe you need to look under PTY/Panama.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
Data point. My flight from Mauritius (MRU) to Istanbul on July 9th was cancelled by TK three days ago.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Thanks for this.
I can't see anything for MAN-IST?
We fly MAN-MRU although not until December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.