Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Does any airline have more in-flight announcements than Turkish Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Turkish Airlines, from what it feels like to me, has an endless amount of announcements in multiple languages, that is unmatched.

On ~2 hr flights, I hear announcements almost the entire flight every 20 minutes. On longer flights, my (or my baby daughter’s) sleep time is cut in half.

I am not asking for advice about how to ignore the announcements but I am just curious, any airline out there that outdoes Turkish?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:28 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
I never thought TK had more announcements than usual but to answer your question, try flying Ryanair..... "scatchcards!!!"
raporot likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: MM silver, Flying blue Platinum, A3 gold, Marriott platinum, IHG gold
Originally Posted by katofunanori
Turkish Airlines, from what it feels like to me, has an endless amount of announcements in multiple languages, that is unmatched.

On ~2 hr flights, I hear announcements almost the entire flight every 20 minutes. On longer flights, my (or my baby daughter’s) sleep time is cut in half.

I am not asking for advice about how to ignore the announcements but I am just curious, any airline out there that outdoes Turkish?
I agree with you. On Tuskish there are so many announcements that watching the whole movie on the planes when flight takes around 2 hrs is almost impossible. Except if you choose really short one
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Mbcan
I agree with you. On Tuskish there are so many announcements that watching the whole movie on the planes when flight takes around 2 hrs is almost impossible. Except if you choose really short one
Hm, the only true inflight announcements I recall are the recorded announcements to fasten seat belts. These announcements in Turkish and English are played every time the seat belt sign is switched on - which I also find a bit too much, especially during night flights when people try to sleep. Don't think any other airline does it like that.
Apart from that, I only recall the usual announcements after departure and before landing (after departure: keep seat belt fastened even when sign is off / before landing: cabin preparation / taxiing: keep seated, our aircraft has not arrived at final position - all recorded announcements in both Turkish and English).
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Hm, the only true inflight announcements I recall are the recorded announcements to fasten seat belts. These announcements in Turkish and English are played every time the seat belt sign is switched on - which I also find a bit too much, especially during night flights when people try to sleep. Don't think any other airline does it like that.
Apart from that, I only recall the usual announcements after departure and before landing (after departure: keep seat belt fastened even when sign is off / before landing: cabin preparation / taxiing: keep seated, our aircraft has not arrived at final position - all recorded announcements in both Turkish and English).
On some TK flights they also do announcement in a third language, depending on the destination. However most airlines do the same. AC even do 4 languages (English, French, Cantonese, Mandarin) on HKG flights.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by starflyergold
I never thought TK had more announcements than usual but to answer your question, try flying Ryanair..... "scatchcards!!!"
Indeed!

And then there are airlines (KLM for example) with communicative FAs and pilots who feel the need to mention every single detail "aaaand we are now flying over city X - if you look five minutes later out of the window to the right you will see Y". Which can be something positive or negative depending on your point of view! But I never found this the case with TK.

On thing which I do think that TK has a lot is pre-departure videos. On my last flight there was the safety video played twice (in Turkish and English - fortunately it was not the annoying LEGO one), then there was the one of Ridley Scottand the new IST airport, and then there is even a fourth video of TK's efforts to curb plastic waste and to help saving our oceans. I might even forget a fifth video. Now that is a lot!
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
On thing which I do think that TK has a lot is pre-departure videos. On my last flight there was the safety video played twice (in Turkish and English - fortunately it was not the annoying LEGO one), then there was the one of Ridley Scottand the new IST airport, and then there is even a fourth video of TK's efforts to curb plastic waste and to help saving our oceans. I might even forget a fifth video. Now that is a lot!
I have stopped using the Turkish IFE for several years now, just relying on my phone instead because of the endless stream of videos and announcement ("Ladies and gentlemen and dear children..."). They explain their flying route, the weather, the time, the airplane, the loyalty program, random announcements, one of the longest and most annoying safety videos (how are these even allowed - they don't really pass on the information coherently), new airport, what they had for breakfast, how their dog is doing, what their mother in law thinks about their marriage
raporot and daisymay2 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:37 am

That is precisely the reason I won't fly with them anymore. It seems like such a small thing, but I find it incredibly irritating, especially when watching a movie on a reasonable volume and you're at a key point in the movie: "Jack, I've always loved-" *volume explodes* "TURKISH AIRLINES WOULD LIKE TO REMIND YOU THAT WE ARE NOW FLYING AT 40,000 FEET."
raporot and daisymay2 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The things that become tedious on TK are when.............

1) They set the system to do 2-4 language announcements. which obviously lengthens each announcement.
2) When you have an exceptionally lazy crew that pulls the fasten seat belt card repeatedly despite no turbulence whatsoever, and each time the whole announcement thing runs through again and again.
3) Unfortunately when TK has launched a new campaign, but is still running the old campaign, whereby you can be bombarded by not only by 2-4 campaigns but depending on the campaign and how they dubbed or subtitled it means that you might watch 3 pieces of video twice! (Inane Ridley Scott video, followed by free diver video, followed by pollution video, followed by Star Alliance video, proceeded by the safety video 2 or 3 times in different languages).
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
I find the fasten seatbelt announcement the most annoying. Why does it have to be said so slowly? And the long delay between the Turkish and English versions whilst keeping the IFE locked out Many years back when I used to fly Emirates, I complained to them as they used to be far worse than TK. For the last half hour of the flight it was non-stop partner promotions for hotels, car hire, cookies, washing machines, the kitchen sink etc in Arabic and English.
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by DaveS
I find the fasten seatbelt announcement the most annoying. Why does it have to be said so slowly? And the long delay between the Turkish and English versions whilst keeping the IFE locked out Many years back when I used to fly Emirates, I complained to them as they used to be far worse than TK. For the last half hour of the flight it was non-stop partner promotions for hotels, car hire, cookies, washing machines, the kitchen sink etc in Arabic and English.
This is the main reason I travel with a decent tablet (loaded with my own entertainment media). I always pay attention to the core of the safety video, or at least look very attentive.

After that, I am off on my personal IFE system.
DaveS and IAN-UK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.