Search

Original Routing Credit on Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and Smiles
Original Routing Credit on Miles&Smiles

Hi everyone

Hoping you can help here. I had a Star Alliance itinerary booked to Tokyo from Manchester. Unfortunately due to IRROPS, my flights were cancelled and I was then rebooked onto Lufthansa flights which did not give any miles on Turkish Airlines Miles and Smiles program.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience for claiming original routing credit from THY? If so, how do you go about claiming it?

Many thanks in advance.

WillsTKGold
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Theoretically possible, but this is TK so don't hold your breath. Looking forward to any data points about ORC though.

Are we talking about a really cheap Economy fare? It's actually quite strange that a rebooked IRROPs doesn't go into a fare class that earns miles. Often you'll earn far more miles than your original itinerary. And since LH is a M&S partner you might just have to wait until the slower partner transaction comes through...
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by WillsTKGold
Hi everyone

Hoping you can help here. I had a Star Alliance itinerary booked to Tokyo from Manchester. Unfortunately due to IRROPS, my flights were cancelled and I was then rebooked onto Lufthansa flights which did not give any miles on Turkish Airlines Miles and Smiles program.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience for claiming original routing credit from THY? If so, how do you go about claiming it?

Many thanks in advance.

WillsTKGold
When you were re-routed, was your TK FF# included on your new rez correctly, and were you able to see your TK FF# and it's associated status on your LH BP? If YES, then it should credit to your account in sometime (IF you were re-booked in a class that earns). But, I would assume that most last-minute re-routes are booked in a higher class (if not the highest) than what you had originally booked in the same cabin.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and Smiles
Sorry - just re-read my post and it's not clear.

Having checked, both my original itinerary and my rebooked itinerary should have both earned miles. My question is whether I should earn miles for the cancelled portion of my itinerary in addition to the new flights I was booked onto.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: TK E+
... My question is whether I should earn miles for the cancelled portion of my itinerary in addition to the new flights I was booked onto.
No you will only get the miles of the rebooked flights.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:35 am

Sorry - just re-read my post and it's not clear.

Having checked, both my original itinerary and my rebooked itinerary should have both earned miles. My question is whether I should earn miles for the cancelled portion of my itinerary in addition to the new flights I was booked onto.
It happened to me as well. Got rerouted from Lufthansa during IRROPS (original routing) to LOT (new routing via Warsaw) and got lower points from LOT flights (originally Lufthansa flights were going to earn more points). When I tried to claim miles (Original Routing Credit) they replied twice, that I will get only lower miles from LOT flights. Reply from TK is below:

"Please be informed that after our investigation we have seen that your flight under ticket number xxxx has been re-issued. In accordance with the Miles&Smiles program rules, only flown Star Alliance Program Partner flights can be included in your membership account.
We have examined your request in your feedback and found out that the flown flights are included in your Miles&Smiles membership account."
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
TK policy: If they rebook you to a *A carrier you get the points for the flight you fly with.
Once I was flying EWR-WAW-IST with LO ( %100 miles earning originally ) then due to an overbooking and the lack of space at Premium Economy Class the next day I was rebooked EWR-(UA)-CDG-(TK)-IST on a full-fare Business class ticket and ended up with %150 miles for the UA and %175 for the TK leg.

However, I'm not sure if they rebook you on another airline which is not part of the *A .
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
However, I'm not sure if they rebook you on another airline which is not part of the *A .
Most likely not (if they can avoid it). If OAL is the only viable alternative I don't see how TK can insist on rebooking to TK/Star Alliance only.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Most likely not (if they can avoid it). If OAL is the only viable alternative I don't see how TK can insist on rebooking to TK/Star Alliance only.
AFAIR, we had a case ( here in FT ) where someone flying DOH-IST-LED went to a sales office and managed himself to be rebooked on DOH-DME on QR.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:22 am

Many years ago I had a similar situation, but of course with different airlines as it was domestic US. I had a round trip on AA. The route was outbound from a very small airport. The first flight of the outbound was canceled, so they put us on NW flights to our various destinations (pretty much the only other option from that airport). I forgot to ask the AA agent about mileage credit, but they were hustling to take care of a couple dozen passengers anyway as the next NW flight was leaving very soon. As I was checking in with NW, I asked the agent about mileage credit. He said, "I don't know if you'll get the original AA miles, buy you'll get normal NW miles for these flights."

As I recall, I did not get credit for the AA flights I had booked, but I did get the NW credit. It was the outbound of a round trip, and I flew AA on the return as scheduled. And FWIW, I arrived at my destination maybe 30 later than originally scheduled. It worked out great all around, as the NW miles were much more valuable to me than the AA miles. I usually flew NW back then, but due to some AA credit I had I was traveling with them this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.