Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Is mileage run worth it to achieve elite + status? Need 8500 miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Having a hard time understanding Miles and smiles! Would it be worth a mileage run from ORD ( UA platinum as well) to meet elite+ goal? Currently need 8500 to do so. Might that be best to get those flying UA? Seems the TK best fares actually accumulate fewer miles than some UA promo fares.

i know this is a subjective question but I appreciate your input.

and one last question, do you have one year from the date of the first flight of the accumulating year or to the end of the month 12 months later?

gratefully
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:05 pm

You can buy the miles for $630 without flying. 4 upgrades in two years, and easier renewal (40k miles in a year, 60k miles in two years) are the things that I would consider when making my decision.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
You can buy the miles for $630 without flying.
If TO is in the second year.

I would do it, because you would have *A Gold for another 4 years.

You say, you have UA-Platinum. I dont know which one (TK or UA) is easier to renew the status. I just checked UA, and they will change their qualification-rules..
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
*A Gold for at least 4 years instead of 2.

Requalifying for E+ at 40k in year 1 is relatively simple. You might never get this close again.

If you can use the upgrade certificates on TK, they are well worth a mileage run.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by axxoo25
If TO is in the second year.

I would do it, because you would have *A Gold for another 4 years.

You say, you have UA-Platinum. I dont know which one (TK or UA) is easier to renew the status. I just checked UA, and they will change their qualification-rules..
i bought 9k status miles last September and I qualified for Elite Plus for the first time. There was a discussion about this on the forum that buying status miles worked for many folks who were qualifying for the first time. Thus, I don’t think TK enforces the 2nd year rule.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I say do it, except maybe not within US with UA since those accruals are paltry. Try to book flight to Asia and check if it gives 8500 miles in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.