Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Change or cancel award flight that used expiring miles

Old Dec 18, 19, 3:58 am
Original Poster

I purchased a business class award for 47,000 miles a month ago for a 1-way flight in March 2020 that covered all expiring miles for this year and next year. For simplicity, say that 20,000 miles were expiring this year and 27,000 were expiring next year.

What will happen in these scenarios:

1) Cancel flight in 2019
2) Cancel flight in 2020
3) Change flight (make change in 2019) to different date (flight occurring in 2020)
4) Change flight (make change in 2020) to different date (flight occurring in 2020)
Old Dec 18, 19, 4:11 am

I'm not sure of the answer but please report back what happens.
Old Dec 18, 19, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Expect to lose 20k if you do anything in 2020 that requires cancellation or ticket re-issuance.

I expect that a pure date change (exact same route, carrier, etc.) would still be fine, but there are no guarantees with TK.
FlyTK likes this.
Old Dec 18, 19, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

I got through to an agent who sounded very knowledgeable. She said:

1) Cancel flight in 2019: Back to where we started with previous expirations
2) Cancel flight in 2020: Lose the 2019 expiring miles and keep the 2020 expiring miles
3/4) All flight changes, including different airport or different carrier is no problem and will not lose any miles. Cost is 25 USD.
FlyTK and mlqsko like this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 12:31 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
hmm. I would be sceptic about the replies you received to 3/4 - sounds too good to be true.

Except for pure date changes, I would expect any changes to the ticket, i.e. flight No, carrier or destination, would require re-issue of the ticket, and I would expect TG to deal with it as a cancellation and rebooking of the ticket. Admittedly, no first hand experience though.

Anyway, please let is know how this turns out when you make changes to the ticket in 2020.
Old Dec 19, 19, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
hmm. I would be sceptic about the replies you received to 3/4 - sounds too good to be true.

Except for pure date changes, I would expect any changes to the ticket, i.e. flight No, carrier or destination, would require re-issue of the ticket, and I would expect TG to deal with it as a cancellation and rebooking of the ticket. Admittedly, no first hand experience though.

Anyway, please let is know how this turns out when you make changes to the ticket in 2020.
+1.

Anybody paying attention to the TK board knows that TK phone agents often don't have a clue. With the website also useless in many areas, crowd-sourced information on FT is often the most reliable source.

That said, hopefully the OP does become a guinea pig for this issue and reports back in 2020...
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:52 am

Anyone knows what happens if you X transfers expiring miles to Y? Do they have the same expiry?
Old Dec 19, 19, 9:18 pm

Programs: TG G, TK G
Originally Posted by mlqsko View Post
Anyone knows what happens if you X transfers expiring miles to Y? Do they have the same expiry?
No, they will be valid for 3 years. But you need to pay 10USD/1,000 miles (same as extending the validity of miles on your own account).

https://www.turkishairlines.com/th-t...les/index.html
Old Dec 19, 19, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Fraserman View Post
No, they will be valid for 3 years. But you need to pay 10USD/1,000 miles (same as extending the validity of miles on your own account).

https://www.turkishairlines.com/th-t...les/index.html
Yeah, I know there's a fee, but I need to consolidate our family accounts anyway. Thank you!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: