Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Smoker caught on TK9, met by police at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum

I was on TK9 yesterday and at a certain point someone set off the smoke alarm by lighting up a cigarette in one of the rear Y bathrooms. FA's were on him right away, took his passport and he was met by police on arrival LAX. Not sure what happened to him after that.

CC handled the situation very well, I'm grateful this didn't escalate into an air rage / detour situation. Amazing that someone would take that chance this day and age!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
Amazing that someone would take that chance this day and age!
It's amazing nicotine isn't classified as a "Schedule" drug like heroin- when I used to work in Boston I'd have to walk by Mass General on the way to work, and in the wintertime (which was no joke) I'd see people smoking outside, in their buttless gowns, coatless, with the machines still hooked into their arms.

When I see someone less than ~30 smoking I just pity the poor fools.
DaveS, TPJ, nwflyboy and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
I was on TK9 yesterday and at a certain point someone set off the smoke alarm by lighting up a cigarette in one of the rear Y bathrooms. FA's were on him right away, took his passport and he was met by police on arrival LAX. Not sure what happened to him after that.
Hopefully suitably beaten. If you cannot manage 13+ hours without a smoke, don't fly.
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveS
Hopefully suitably beaten. If you cannot manage 13+ hours without a smoke, don't fly.
A medium Singapore caning maybe?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DaveS
Not sure what country you live in but in U.S. jurisdiction law enforcement doesn't beat you up. The max he got is a secondary inspection by customs and a fine.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
... but in U.S. jurisdiction law enforcement doesn't beat you up.
?!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Good one!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Well...they aren’t supposed to beat you up :-)

edit: (Omni territory, but still) US police are more famous for shooting people than beating them up, so there’s that.
RoyalFlush likes this.

Last edited by gr8pirate; Aug 16, 2019 at 11:07 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the US is famous for having a media that talks a lot about the Police shooting people. There were about 1000 people shot and killed by the Police in 2018, There are something like 330 million people in the US, so your chance is something like one in 330,000. If one posits that 95% of all shootings are in relation to a serious crime, then , your chances of getting shot and killed by the Police in the US is something closer to 1 in 6,000,000. BTW your chances of getting shot as a white person are about TWICE that of a black person, just saying............
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
No, the US is famous for having a media that talks a lot about the Police shooting people. There were about 1000 people shot and killed by the Police in 2018, There are something like 330 million people in the US, so your chance is something like one in 330,000. If one posits that 95% of all shootings are in relation to a serious crime, then , your chances of getting shot and killed by the Police in the US is something closer to 1 in 6,000,000. BTW your chances of getting shot as a white person are about TWICE that of a black person, just saying............
The comparative figure for England & Wales in 2018 is just 1 person killed by its unarmed police forces...
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hfly
No, the US is famous for having a media that talks a lot about the Police shooting people. There were about 1000 people shot and killed by the Police in 2018, There are something like 330 million people in the US, so your chance is something like one in 330,000. If one posits that 95% of all shootings are in relation to a serious crime, then , your chances of getting shot and killed by the Police in the US is something closer to 1 in 6,000,000.

BTW your chances of getting shot as a white person are about TWICE that of a black person, just saying............
I'm not not entirely comfortable with throw-away treatments of statistics, but i get the point in the first section of your analysis.

It's the second part I find troubling. It's unclear if you are claiming the proportion of the caucasian population killed by the police is higher than proportion of the african-american population killed by the police; or the absolute number of white deaths is higher than that of black deaths.

The first interpretation is indeed surprising; the second less so, given that african-americans represent only around 1 in 8 of the population.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/...e-data/595528/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2019/
gr8pirate likes this.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Aug 17, 2019 at 4:14 am Reason: adding a link, or two
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:21 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Since we are moving wildly off topic I am closing this thread now.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
cheltzel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.