Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK USA Gate Security Screening

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

TK USA Gate Security Screening

Was on TK 81 IST to BOS today. The flight was delayed but the monitor is displaying “go to the gate”even with 2 hours before the flight. As I was disappointed with the offerings in the business lounge and remembered the long walk from the A Gates, so I headed to gate B3. When I neared the gate, there was a very, very, long line to get into the gate area. It look like a line from a Disney ride! As I have status and was on had a business ticket, I got to bypass this line, but I had to go through the gate security screening. My iPad is in an Otter-box case, and they had me to remove it from the case. This is not easily nor quickly accomplished. They swabbed the iPad, case, my shoes and my person. After I finally put the iPad in the case and packed my carry on, I observed them doing the same procedure on every person. They only have room to screen and swabbed 4-5 persons at a time, so now I know the reason for the long line at the gate. I am not complaining about the gate security screening, matter of fact I am glad to see it. Just wanted others to know to allow plenty of time to get to gate for a US flight, especially if you have no status with an economy ticket.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:37 pm

That’s been the same for a very long time.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
This is the reason that I don't prefer flying TK on transatlantic flights. Believe or not, the last time I flew TK transatlantic was back in 2012. I prefer arriving to IST 1h15 before my flight and making a connection in FRA or LHR ( maybe CDG for future travels ) and relax at the lounge over there instead of arriving 2 hours earlier to the airport and arriving to the gate 1h30 mins before the departure time. Before the UK laptop ban, BA check-in desks closed 45 minutes before departure and I always arrived within the 50-55 minutes period before the flight even when I was traveling to the USA. Of course making a connection is cheaper than flying direct, that's another reason that TK is not my top priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.