Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by antobogdan
Is this really true in the case of a mobile boarding pass for the second flight (no physical paper one, for that i would need to go to check in desk)?
Yes, at transfer security, you'll scan your mobile boarding pass and that's it.
Worst case scenario, all airlines do have a transfer desk accross the main transfer security checkpoint where you could ask for a physical boarding pass.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:18 pm

My flight is from JFK-IST (5pm arrival) on Turkish Airline (business class) with 8 hr to spare before the next flight. My plan was to stop at Business Class lounge, and then exit airport for several hours and then come back for connecting flight.

So my question is, since the arrival lounge closes at 1pm, Is it possible to go to departure lounge and then exit airport for tour? Do I need to go through security to access the lounge, and will I be able to exit the airport again after that?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 4:38 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by st50
My flight is from JFK-IST (5pm arrival) on Turkish Airline (business class) with 8 hr to spare before the next flight. My plan was to stop at Business Class lounge, and then exit airport for several hours and then come back for connecting flight.
So my question is, since the arrival lounge closes at 1pm, Is it possible to go to departure lounge and then exit airport for tour? Do I need to go through security to access the lounge, and will I be able to exit the airport again after that?
There is no arrival lounge in IST airport. You can leave your hand luggage at the TK business lounge while going to city.
Generally no additional security when arriving from US and you are able to exit airport for tour.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:51 pm

We are family of 4 and traveling SFO-IST-NBO with a 75 min transit. We will be first time turkish airlines travelers if we chose this option. This is almost $2k cheaper than every other option for dates in June. Is this enough transit time?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Welcome to FT!

Yes, a valid connection and sufficient time if your incoming flight from SFO is more or less on time. You will proceed straight to departures level from the aerobridge upon arrival and don't have to enter Turkey or pass transit security checks.

There is absolutely nothing to consider here with that price difference. Most likely you will make the connection at IST. Worst case scenario is that TK will rebook you to the next NBO flight which you are contemplating now and cost you $2k more if you do it yourself. I don't see anything to loose here...
psmozmail likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:20 pm

Transfer from BA

Hi. My daughter and I are flying from LHR to IST on British Airways. We are then transferring to Turkish Airlines for a flight to Tashkent. Obviously, these are separate tickets.

We will not have checked bags.

I expect we will need to get a boarding pass in Istanbul because my daughter is a US citizen and needs a visa for Uzbekistan which I expect Turkish will want to inspect before they give her a boarding pass.

Will we be able to exit our BA flight, stay airside, go to the transfer desk for our boarding passes, and then transfer without entering Turkey and without reclearing security?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:44 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Entering Türkiye will not be necessary, but after going to the transfer desk you will need to proceed through security again.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Entering Türkiye will not be necessary, but after going to the transfer desk you will need to proceed through security again.
Thank you!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Style guide - do we break out the umlauts?

Has this forum developed a guide on how we should refer to the country? I understand that the diplomatic community has acceded to the request of the Turkish government, but I'm not sure the switch to the endonymic form has entered everyday usage outside Turkey. Employing an umlaut in the written form, and the final ye flourish in speech, will make the transition awkward.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can refer to it any way you want. When speaking in English 98% of Turks that I know still call it Turkey (It has always been Turkiye in Turkish obviously). It is sort of like if you go to MUMBAI, almost everyone calls it Bombay. It should be noted that in most other languages the name has not changed and it is still Turquia, Turkei, Turchia, etc both before and after the "change". Also how few people really use Czechia.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hfly
You can refer to it any way you want. When speaking in English 98% of Turks that I know still call it Turkey (It has always been Turkiye in Turkish obviously). It is sort of like if you go to MUMBAI, almost everyone calls it Bombay. It should be noted that in most other languages the name has not changed and it is still Turquia, Turkei, Turchia, etc both before and after the "change". Also how few people really use Czechia.
It's interesting, though probably OMNI territory!

We're not talking a name-change here, as you point out. Turkey is a nation insisting it should be referred to internationally by its accepted endonymic title, very little different to the current international version. The equivalent of Brazil requesting the world to ditch the z for an s. A complete name change is probably easier to handle (e.g. Rhodesia/Zimbabwe) though still not always universal (hello Myanmar).

City name changes are different, it's more difficult to compel compliance. But Mumbai maybe isn't the best example of an unsuccessful switch. Pretty much all Mumbaikers, except the SoBo crowd (and IIT Bombay), routinely employ the modern version; the rest of India too: I'm not sure how well it's entered the vocabulary of the world outside India, but it seems widely used.
B747-437B and TedToToe like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
All the Indians I know call it Mumbai when speaking Marathi or Hindi or Parsi; a few might call it Bombay if conversing in English to a non-Indian. I strongly suspect from context that you meant almost everyone calls it Bombay when speaking English; sorry for the nitpick.
B747-437B and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:58 am

has anyone use this before ? works well? good internet ?
https://www.igapass.com/en/iga-busin...4006?locale=en
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:34 am

I'll be flying SEA-IST-MLA in business class with an overnight layover in IST. I'll be booking the Yotelair out of convenience (yes, I'm aware of the transit hotel program). Will I be able to enter the TK lounge both in the evening after I arrive from SEA and in the morning before I depart for MLA?
Old Apr 11, 2024, 5:55 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by forthecookies
I'll be flying SEA-IST-MLA in business class with an overnight layover in IST. I'll be booking the Yotelair out of convenience (yes, I'm aware of the transit hotel program). Will I be able to enter the TK lounge both in the evening after I arrive from SEA and in the morning before I depart for MLA?
If your layover is under 24 hours and you’re staying airside the entire time, then yes, you can enter and re enter the lounges as many times as you wish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.