Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Many thanks ISTFlyer!
I did message TK on facebook about this but they told me to contact the airport.
Good to know we can use Priority Lanes!
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately your message was probably answered by a cell center agent in Bucharest or some other place that really had no idea how to answer the question!
daisymay2, edelweiss and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by ffay005
I just read somewhere that it is 60 minutes for intl-intl, and indeed booked a ticket for next month, HEL-GYD-HEL, with a 60-min connection both ways. I booked on the TK website.
I flew HEL-GYD today, with HEL-IST arriving at A7 and IST-GYD leaving from B1. I consider myself lucky as the distance between the gates was rather short. I was in row 5 on HEL-IST and managed a toilet stop and a quick Duty Free stop on my way to the next gate, where I boarded immediately.

I am pretty sure that on my way back, I won't make it, as there will be security at IST. We'll see. But without security 60 minutes was doable.

16:07 flight from HEL landed
16:10 scheduled arrival time of the flight
16:24 I was in the terminal
16:38 I boarded the flight to GYD
17:10 scheduled departure time of the flight
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by ffay005
I flew HEL-GYD today, with HEL-IST arriving at A7 and IST-GYD leaving from B1. I consider myself lucky as the distance between the gates was rather short. I was in row 5 on HEL-IST and managed a toilet stop and a quick Duty Free stop on my way to the next gate, where I boarded immediately.

I am pretty sure that on my way back, I won't make it, as there will be security at IST. We'll see. But without security 60 minutes was doable.

16:07 flight from HEL landed
16:10 scheduled arrival time of the flight
16:24 I was in the terminal
16:38 I boarded the flight to GYD
17:10 scheduled departure time of the flight
And I was really lucky on my way back, as the flight landed early, the gate was E2, which is as close to transfer security as possible and my departure gate was A1G. While it's a bus gate, it's also very close to the central terminal. I even managed 10 minutes in the lounge!

13:40 flight from GYD landed
13:53 I was in the terminal
14:00 scheduled arrival time of the flight
14:00 I was at the empty fast track security line
14:05–14:10 quick visit to lounge
14:21 I boarded the bus to the HEL plane
15:00 scheduled departure time of the flight
DaveS likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, KF Elite Gold, GHA Black
If I'm flying TK J Award from SIN-IST-CDG and for the IST-CDG leg it will depart at 1315hrs; if there's availability on the earlier flight 0800hrs, is it impossible to get on to that flight since there's the unspoken rule of the within 4 hours? Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by webbyboy
If I'm flying TK J Award from SIN-IST-CDG and for the IST-CDG leg it will depart at 1315hrs; if there's availability on the earlier flight 0800hrs, is it impossible to get on to that flight since there's the unspoken rule of the within 4 hours? Thanks!
You might politely ask the transfer desk agents at IST and they might do you a goodwill gesture.
Although, be prepared for the worst case scenario which is a "no".
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, KF Elite Gold, GHA Black
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You might politely ask the transfer desk agents at IST and they might do you a goodwill gesture.
Although, be prepared for the worst case scenario which is a "no".
Thank you!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: LifeMiles
Hey FlyerTalk!

I will be flying business class Germany to Colombia (through IST) and I was wondering how the transit hours are counted. I have several options departing from Germany into IST. They are all scheduled to arrive around 23:00 (+ 20min) and the flight to Bogota is the next day around 8:05 (+20min). So I'm right around the 9h cutoff for the sleeping rooms vs transit hotel. I was wondering if the hours are counted from the scheduled departure/arrival times or if they're updated "live"?

I think it would be more convenient to stay in the sleeping rooms rather than leaving the airport and having to go through security again in the morning so if the hours are counted depending on the schedule, I would try to book one that's under the 9h cutoff. And in case I'm over the 9h and cannot get a sleeping room, what's the lounge like in the evening? Any hot food available?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by LDB2016
Hey FlyerTalk!

I will be flying business class Germany to Colombia (through IST) and I was wondering how the transit hours are counted. I have several options departing from Germany into IST. They are all scheduled to arrive around 23:00 (+ 20min) and the flight to Bogota is the next day around 8:05 (+20min). So I'm right around the 9h cutoff for the sleeping rooms vs transit hotel. I was wondering if the hours are counted from the scheduled departure/arrival times or if they're updated "live"?

I think it would be more convenient to stay in the sleeping rooms rather than leaving the airport and having to go through security again in the morning so if the hours are counted depending on the schedule, I would try to book one that's under the 9h cutoff. And in case I'm over the 9h and cannot get a sleeping room, what's the lounge like in the evening? Any hot food available?
Hi LDB2016 and welcome to FlyerTalk!

The 9h cutoff for sleeping rooms are counted according to the scheduled arrival and departure times thus you would not be able to benefit from them with a 9h5min transfer. If that's the shortest possible connection, you could benefit from the hotel option.

I haven't been to the Miles&Smiles Lounge in late night since COVID so I can't comment about the food spread, although, I know that breakfast offerings are being placed to buffets at 04:00 in the morning.
B747-437B and LDB2016 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:43 am

Hi,

I have a long overnight layover for both legs of my flight. If I don’t leave the airport, I don’t need a transit VISA right? I’m 99% sure I don’t need it but just wanted to triple check. I know I’m fine for departing but I’m not certain about returning flight.

Departing:
LAX -> IST -> LIS

Returning:
LIS -> IST -> LAX
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wuwu
Hi,

I have a long overnight layover for both legs of my flight. If I don’t leave the airport, I don’t need a transit VISA right? I’m 99% sure I don’t need it but just wanted to triple check. I know I’m fine for departing but I’m not certain about returning flight.

Departing:
LAX -> IST -> LIS

Returning:
LIS -> IST -> LAX
Hi Wuwu and welcome to FlyerTalk!

You would not need any kind of visa if you would remain in the international transfer zone during your entire transfer at Istanbul Airport.
If you have a long layover and would like to benefit from the hotel service, or go landside for any reason then you would need to comply with entry requirements of Turkey.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Hi Wuwu and welcome to FlyerTalk!

You would not need any kind of visa if you would remain in the international transfer zone during your entire transfer at Istanbul Airport.
If you have a long layover and would like to benefit from the hotel service, or go landside for any reason then you would need to comply with entry requirements of Turkey.
Wow thank you so much for the fast reply. You are amazing! Both overnight layovers are 13 hours so I’m either going to stay at Yotel Hotel Airside or do Sleepod + Lounge. I don’t want to deal with getting a transit VISA. I can visit the lounge and sleepod for free since I have the Priority Pass.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:18 pm

Traveler Entry Form

Hi,

One more question. Do I need to fill this out? I think it’s only for people that actually enter Turkey.

“A completed “Traveler Entry Form” must be presented at check-in and upon arrival.”
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wuwu
Hi,

One more question. Do I need to fill this out? I think it’s only for people that actually enter Turkey.

“A completed “Traveler Entry Form” must be presented at check-in and upon arrival.”
That form is only for those entering Turkey.
Passengers like you who would remain in the international transfer zone are not required to fill out that form.
DaveS likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but another return to normality. I transited IST on Sunday from London. We were directed straight to departures level from the aircraft (no security).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.