Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
A little less than 9 hours in Istanbul Airport

Hi. I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered in another thread. We just booked an award ticket that takes us home from Tokyo via Istanbul on Turkish Airlines. There is a 8 hours and 45 minute daytime layover at Istanbul Airport. What is advisable for us to do during this time? I read that Turkish Airlines used to do short tours (for free?) in the past but I am not sure if this is even an option, especially in light of this ourbreak. Most websites say 10 hours is minimum length of the layover for us to tour Istanbul on our own. Is our best option just hanging out at the airport? We arrive there around 6 AM, and our flight does not leave until about 3 PM. Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Do business class passengers get any security/immigration fasttrack when transferring between an international and a domestic flight and vice versa? No status with TK/Star Alliance. Thank you.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Do business class passengers get any security/immigration fasttrack when transferring between an international and a domestic flight and vice versa? No status with TK/Star Alliance. Thank you.
Yes, however mostly the international->domestic transfer passport/security checkpoint is empty without any wait.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by psoque
Hi. I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered in another thread. We just booked an award ticket that takes us home from Tokyo via Istanbul on Turkish Airlines. There is a 8 hours and 45 minute daytime layover at Istanbul Airport. What is advisable for us to do during this time? I read that Turkish Airlines used to do short tours (for free?) in the past but I am not sure if this is even an option, especially in light of this ourbreak. Most websites say 10 hours is minimum length of the layover for us to tour Istanbul on our own. Is our best option just hanging out at the airport? We arrive there around 6 AM, and our flight does not leave until about 3 PM. Thanks.
You could go tour on your own, you wouldn't see everything but on 8h45mins you could see some touristic sights.

The Touristanbul service is suspended due to the pandemic and does not operate.

Your other option would be to hang inside the airport or pay for the airport hotel which might be boring during the day.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, however mostly the international->domestic transfer passport/security checkpoint is empty without any wait.
Thank you!
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Thank you!
You're welcome
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:54 pm

Thank you very much. How much extra time should we plan on spending to exit the airport as well as to check-in to the next flight? We don't want to be in a big rush. Hopefully, things might be different by November when we are planning to take this itinerary.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you very much. How much extra time should we plan on spending to exit the airport as well as to check-in to the next flight? We don't want to be in a big rush. Hopefully, things might be different by November when we are planning to take this itinerary.
TK would thru check bags on two separate itineraries.
However, if you are planning to do so on two different airlines, allow minimum 2h30mins.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:32 am

Thanks. This is a 8 hours and 45 min layover between two business class Turkish Airlines flights in November of this year. I was just wondering if it is even worth it to arrange for a tour (I’ve seen some tours exactly for this purpose advertised on websites). Or should we just hang out at Turkish business class lounge?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. This is a 8 hours and 45 min layover between two business class Turkish Airlines flights in November of this year. I was just wondering if it is even worth it to arrange for a tour (I’ve seen some tours exactly for this purpose advertised on websites). Or should we just hang out at Turkish business class lounge?
Too early to speak about November.
We still don't know whether the tours would operate in November ( they don't operate since March 2020 ) or if the lounges would still have reduced service or if the sleeping rooms would be open.

I advise you to come back and ask the same question back in October.
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 4:52 am

If I transit (less than 24 hours and I'll be staying airside) through Istanbul on my way to Mexico and my whole trip is on one itinerary, do I need to take a corona-test?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by drvb
If I transit (less than 24 hours and I'll be staying airside) through Istanbul on my way to Mexico and my whole trip is on one itinerary, do I need to take a corona-test?
No, unless Mexico does not start require it or Turkey from transit passengers. Lenght of transit time is irrelevant when you stay airside.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:09 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Is 'one stop security' for EU originating flights gone?

Is it gone or we were sent to transit security by mistake?

I fully understand this was an unilateral decision to exempt EU arrivals from transit security, but it was making the experience better. Not a big issue now as transit security is fairly empty, but still annoying (remove laptops, cosmetics etc.). Shall we assume 'one stop security' was just a legacy of Ataturk Airport not being able to cope with transit congestion and it will not be back?

Thoughts?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ
Is it gone or we were sent to transit security by mistake?

I fully understand this was an unilateral decision to exempt EU arrivals from transit security, but it was making the experience better. Not a big issue now as transit security is fairly empty, but still annoying (remove laptops, cosmetics etc.). Shall we assume 'one stop security' was just a legacy of Ataturk Airport not being able to cope with transit congestion and it will not be back?

Thoughts?
Before COVID, all EU arrivals were considered as secure.
When COVID started; initially the issue was regarding temperature screening where thermal cameras were installed before transfer security checkpoints.
Now as temperature screening is not required for transfer passengers, I don't have any other idea than TGS not assigning staff at the arrival gates to check onward boarding passes and save money with fewer employees.
TPJ and DaveS like this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Before COVID, all EU arrivals were considered as secure.
When COVID started; initially the issue was regarding temperature screening where thermal cameras were installed before transfer security checkpoints.
Now as temperature screening is not required for transfer passengers, I don't have any other idea than TGS not assigning staff at the arrival gates to check onward boarding passes and save money with fewer employees.
Yes, I transited last night and I miss arriving 'clean' as it were. Something else to add to the long list of hassles.
TPJ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.