Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:58 am

Hi,

i be arriving to IST in 1050am and my connecting flight is next day 0135am on J class

just wondering is it possible to get into airside to use the lounge and leave to landslide later for a tour in Istanbul.

thanks

p/s: if there is any tips/benefits please let me know
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:52 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Puddited
Hi,

i be arriving to IST in 1050am and my connecting flight is next day 0135am on J class

just wondering is it possible to get into airside to use the lounge and leave to landslide later for a tour in Istanbul.
Possible. Just search this forum for a detailed instruction how to leave the departure area...
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:34 pm

Apparently i couldn’t get a private room in the business lounge due to my transit time is too long. But it’s not 24hrs so I couldn’t get a hotel room.

any alternatives?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Apparently i couldn’t get a private room in the business lounge due to my transit time is too long. But it’s not 24hrs so I couldn’t get a hotel room.

any alternatives?
A hotel room would be given if your layover is more than 9 hours ( assuming that you are flying Business Class ), however, your connection must be the shortest possible option for the day. For more details please consult the transit hotel section at the WIKI at the relevant thread.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:30 pm

any alternatives?
Try the YotelAir in the airport. Have stayed there about a half a dozen times and would recommend.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:05 pm

I am flying into IST on a Canadian passport from Nepal on TK727 in Y mid-May.

I arrive at noon.

I am hoping to travel onward to Beirut (or possibly somewhere in Europe) later that day on a separate ticket. I will be returning to Turkey for a week or so, then flying onward.

I will have checked baggage.

Will I need a visa as I transfer to the flight to Beirut?

If I do need a visa due to having to collect checked baggage, if I book a flight with TK, and get my baggage checked through to Beirut, will I still need a visa?

Thanks for any information/advice.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by kalderlake
I am flying into IST on a Canadian passport from Nepal on TK727 in Y mid-May.

I arrive at noon.

I am hoping to travel onward to Beirut (or possibly somewhere in Europe) later that day on a separate ticket. I will be returning to Turkey for a week or so, then flying onward.

I will have checked baggage.

Will I need a visa as I transfer to the flight to Beirut?

If I do need a visa due to having to collect checked baggage, if I book a flight with TK, and get my baggage checked through to Beirut, will I still need a visa?

Thanks for any information/advice.
If you need to pick-up your bags at IST, yes, you would need an e-visa as a Canadian citizen.
If you manage to transfer your bags to your final destination, you would not need a visa if you don't leave the transfer and departures area of the airport.

However, it would depend on the check-in agent to transfer your bags to your final destination. Be prepared for a "no" at Kathmandu and allow extra time for your connection at IST, don't risk a connection shorter than 3 hours if you have checked baggage.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you need to pick-up your bags at IST, yes, you would need an e-visa as a Canadian citizen.
If you manage to transfer your bags to your final destination, you would not need a visa if you don't leave the transfer and departures area of the airport.

However, it would depend on the check-in agent to transfer your bags to your final destination. Be prepared for a "no" at Kathmandu and allow extra time for your connection at IST, don't risk a connection shorter than 3 hours if you have checked baggage.
Thanks IF.

I wll get my visa prior to my first arrival.

cheers

kl
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
Thinking of flying the following: ATH-IST-ADB in May, all on one ticket (TK issue), looks like the connection time in IST is 2 hours.

Given that this is an international - domestic transfer, how crazy are the passport control lines? Is a 2 hour transit in IST safe? Traveling with my wife and parents, mum's got a dodgy knee these days so doubt she can motor through the concourse at speed.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cuzzybro
Thinking of flying the following: ATH-IST-ADB in May, all on one ticket (TK issue), looks like the connection time in IST is 2 hours.

Given that this is an international - domestic transfer, how crazy are the passport control lines? Is a 2 hour transit in IST safe? Traveling with my wife and parents, mum's got a dodgy knee these days so doubt she can motor through the concourse at speed.
There are dedicated passport booths for international-domestic and domestic-international transfer and they are usually empty. The transfer is doable and you should have enough time to do the connection, however, no one could guarantee that your flight from ATH wouldn't arrive at a gate which would require a longer walk to the passport control point, so you might end up walking kilometers inside the airport. If your mother requires assistance due to a knee injury, you could ask for mobility assistance from TK.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:24 pm

Yes, you would need to go back downstairs and leave the departure hall in order to enter Turkey. So, you would need to;
- Clear transfer security after arrival
- Go to the lounge
- Leave the lounge when you are ready and follow signs to gate F1. Go in towards the secret door which would take you to the arrivals level.
- Clear passport control and leave the baggage claim area

When arriving back at the airport, you would take the same process as a passenger originating in IST.
Hi, I had a follow up question to this please. I'm planning to do the same with my wife, visit the Turkish Airlines lounge on arrival, and then go to immigration to head to the city (we have a 26 hour stopover, and the arrival lounge doesn't seem to be open yet). We will have checked in bags with us, which I doubt we'll be able to through check in till JFK (due to the stopover). Any clue what happens to our bags in this case, if we decide to go to the lounge first airside for a shower and quick breakfast? Do they leave them lying at the carousel or they're taken somewhere else? Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akg88
Hi, I had a follow up question to this please. I'm planning to do the same with my wife, visit the Turkish Airlines lounge on arrival, and then go to immigration to head to the city (we have a 26 hour stopover, and the arrival lounge doesn't seem to be open yet). We will have checked in bags with us, which I doubt we'll be able to through check in till JFK (due to the stopover). Any clue what happens to our bags in this case, if we decide to go to the lounge first airside for a shower and quick breakfast? Do they leave them lying at the carousel or they're taken somewhere else? Thanks!
Unfortunately, in your case, you would not be able to visit the lounge. You need a qualifying onward departure boarding pass in order to access airside and TK won't produce you one at JFK as you have a layover more than 24 hours. If your JFK-IST flight is delayed by more than 2 hours, you would be able to obtain your boarding pass at the transfer counter and visit the lounge by passing through transfer security.

For unattended bags, I have no idea.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
There are dedicated passport booths for international-domestic and domestic-international transfer and they are usually empty. The transfer is doable and you should have enough time to do the connection, however, no one could guarantee that your flight from ATH wouldn't arrive at a gate which would require a longer walk to the passport control point, so you might end up walking kilometers inside the airport. If your mother requires assistance due to a knee injury, you could ask for mobility assistance from TK.
Thank you ISTFlyer, will check if she wants the theatrics of being wheeled around
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:58 pm

Unfortunately, in your case, you would not be able to visit the lounge. You need a qualifying onward departure boarding pass in order to access airside and TK won't produce you one at JFK as you have a layover more than 24 hours. If your JFK-IST flight is delayed by more than 2 hours, you would be able to obtain your boarding pass at the transfer counter and visit the lounge by passing through transfer security.

For unattended bags, I have no idea.
Thank you for your reply! In that case we might just spend some time at the airport waiting to check in for the next flight.(we land 630am so won't get our hotel that early anyway). Just hoping there's no issues with our bags.Thanks again
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: hahaha
I'm thinking of flying YUL-IST-GNY. Will I need to re-check my bags at IST since that is the customs port of entry?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.