Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Even though Uber is active in Istanbul, they are operating illegally and if you get caught using an Uber by the police ( at the airport you definitely would, %95 ) you and the driver would both be subject to a fine so I won't suggest to use Uber in Turkey except their taxi product which is legal. However, you could use the taxi option at Uber on the way back which a yellow cab would come to pick up you up from the hotel.
I’m glad I asked...!

thanks again ISTFlyer
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by CoweyB; Apr 9, 2019 at 3:10 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Arrived from VIE last night and didn’t have to go through security.

Noticed them playing a video before arrival that mentioned ‘short connection points’: If your connection is under 75 minutes, you should use the “international short connection points”.

Sounds interesting if they help with tight connections, but couldn’t see any further signs or references after leaving the jetway, so I don’t know what these short connection points are or what they do.

and yes, taxiing took a while.

...and prepare for long walks, it’s a hike from the end of the spokes to the hub!

Last edited by gr8pirate; Apr 9, 2019 at 12:21 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

...and prepare for long walks, it’s a hike from the end of the spokes to the hub!
I'm little worried about this walks. We'll be arriving from HRG and 1h35min connection at 6 in the morning i just hope everything will go fine.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by TM78
I'm little worried about this walks. We'll be arriving from HRG and 1h35min connection at 6 in the morning i just hope everything will go fine.
You would make it. The walks are long but it's being exaggerated by many people. The maximum walk between your arriving gate to the nearest short connection security checkpoint and from there to your departure gate won't be longer than 25 minutes unless you walk really slow like tourists inside a museum.
TM78 and Squalusss like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
You would make it. The walks are long but it's being exaggerated by many people. The maximum walk between your arriving gate to the nearest short connection security checkpoint and from there to your departure gate won't be longer than 25 minutes unless you walk really slow like tourists inside a museum.
ISTFlyer thank you so much again. We're both very fast walkers. You just made my day once again. Even for Atatürk we were told it takes time but we had no problems with connections there. We like to hike and walking is no problem for us.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:44 pm

I'm looking at some award flights on from central Europe (BUD, PRG or VIE) to Seychelles on TK with a connection in IST. All the European flights arrive around midnight, which the flight to SEZ departs at 1:50 am. How much of a delay can I afford/buffer do I have given the 1h45m - 2h connection time? The VIE-IST and PRG-IST flights seem to have better on-time performance, and I'm wondering if I should base my choice on that.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
Noticed them playing a video before arrival that mentioned ‘short connection points’: If your connection is under 75 minutes, you should use the “international short connection points”.

Sounds interesting if they help with tight connections, but couldn’t see any further signs or references after leaving the jetway, so I don’t know what these short connection points are or what they do.
I also couldn't find the short connection points during my first transit though IST, but I was able to find them today. It is a bit counterintuitive as the short connection points are at the end of each international pier (i.e. away from the main terminal hall). There are some signs as you get out of the aircraft. The short connection point is essentially a mini transfer security. Not sure though what exactly they will do after the screening - put you on a buggy and drive you to your next gate?

Cheetah_SA, Eurocity and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:06 pm

Fully agree with ISTFlyer! My walk from the very far end of D pier to the Havaist bus outside the terminal took 25 minutes - including passport control. Admittedly, I was lucky that I was the only one using the fast track lane at immigration, I knew my way and I am also a fast walker... but it is doable!
TM78 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Gold
Glad to hear that it’s doable. I’m flying through IST next month and got 75 mins BHX-IST-LJU and 85 mins on the way back to BHX
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Greg0rE
Glad to hear that it’s doable. I’m flying through IST next month and got 75 mins BHX-IST-LJU and 85 mins on the way back to BHX
On your flight to LJU you should be able to use the short connection points (see post #22). If you end up taking one of the short connection points, it would be great if you could report back how it went.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:48 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
'escaping' from departures airside

At Ataturk I quite often went to the lounge on a transit, had a shower and left my bag, and then escaped back through arrivals (along to the food court and down the stairs) to go into Istanbul for some meetings.
Does anyone know if this is still possible/the suggested route at new IST? No immediate plans but likely to be trying to do that sometime in Q2.
Thanks
tobiashenry likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
At Ataturk I quite often went to the lounge on a transit, had a shower and left my bag, and then escaped back through arrivals (along to the food court and down the stairs) to go into Istanbul for some meetings.
Does anyone know if this is still possible/the suggested route at new IST? No immediate plans but likely to be trying to do that sometime in Q2.
Thanks
I also wonder if that's possible. I've seen videos that it seems like there are stairs going down to the arrival levels.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
I also wonder if that's possible. I've seen videos that it seems like there are stairs going down to the arrival levels.
surely this must be possible somehow?

I have a trip To Baku via Ist in May. Will try to do it then
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DL,EK
Transit security at IST?

If I book GVA-IST-ORD, will I need to go through any security in IST? Both flights are on Turkish.

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
If I book GVA-IST-ORD, will I need to go through any security in IST? Both flights are on Turkish.

Thanks.
No, just make sure you go to connections instead of arrivals when you exit the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.