Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatürk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by nov11
Does anybody know if Turkish has reopened showers in their lounge (I've checked replies all the way back to Jan. 2021 and it seems like they were still closed then).
Last Thursday(4th March) were still closed
Old Mar 10, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by more4less
Last Thursday(4th March) were still closed
Thank you for letting me know
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:25 pm

on March 7th, at TK lounge shower was closed with very limited food and soft drinks only..
Meatballs worth the trip though. But desert station was closed, only couple of high sugar cheap stuff no baklavas..

At IGA lounge shower was open, they serve liquors but food was not very good. We ate dinner at Turkish lounge than spent rest of the time at IGA lounge. They serve booze at the bar with server, no self service..

If you priority pass you can also use IGA Sleepods. We tried first time for a quick 1 hour nap and it was better than I expected. You can store your carryon under the pod. It has electric inside, and feels spacious inside. With priority pass you can use up to 3 hours.

Overall it was fun to spend 8 hours in Istanbul at the airport during our layover.. Hopefully Turkish lounge will go back to full service soon..
Only one complaint though, It was raining like crazy when we landed and they built the biggest airport in the world but still after 13 hours of flight it was not fun to catch a bus to the airport terminal. I have no idea why planes can not connect to the airport directly..
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by freefalcon
Overall it was fun to spend 8 hours in Istanbul at the airport during our layover.. Hopefully Turkish lounge will go back to full service soon..
Only one complaint though, It was raining like crazy when we landed and they built the biggest airport in the world but still after 13 hours of flight it was not fun to catch a bus to the airport terminal. I have no idea why planes can not connect to the airport directly..
Thanks for the report!

I'm back in the TK lounge now as well after a long hiatus from flying Turkish. Can't say I'm too excited to spend the entire day here from 6am til 8pm... fun it is certainly not without any booze! And I miss my sweets/baklava/Turkish coffee!

How it was before...

How it is now..

Before COVID

And right now... sigh!

I still think its bizarre that you can get booze at the IGA lounge/SkyTeam lounge at IST - but not at the TK lounge. Like COVID-19 cares on which side of the central airport hall you drink a glass of wine, or whether you take a coke or beer at the TK lounge..
daisymay2, TPJ, DaveS and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Thanks for the photos Romanianflyer and freefalcon.
Very helpful indeed.
Intrigued by the photo with signage by an escalator which signposts Pets Toilets.
Is this really a toilet for pets?
DaveS likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I miss the Ataturk TK international lounge...
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I miss the Ataturk TK international lounge...
The pool table yes! And the design had something nice too.. But I certainly do not miss the crowds and the lack of power sockets..
DaveS likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
The pool table yes! And the design had something nice too.. But I certainly do not miss the crowds and the lack of power sockets..
Yes, I ended up sitting on the floor too many times.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If I would like to add some nostalgia, the upper level in the TK International Lounge in Atatürk was always crowded, however, the lower level was significantly less crowded than the upper level. Many people enjoyed sitting near the coffee/dessert station and the pide station which made the upper level crowded.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 1:02 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Originally Posted by DaveS
Yes, I ended up sitting on the floor too many times.
And I don't miss these quite uncomfortable chairs ... But always got a place to sit though
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
The old lounge just felt more homely and more welcoming. Was it carpeted and the new lounge at IST is bare floors?
bcnfish and zeer0 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: TK MS *G, LH MM *G
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
The old lounge just felt more homely and more welcoming. Was it carpeted and the new lounge at IST is bare floors?
Indeed, there was something special about the old lounge. The new lounges are big, but definitely lack the character. Also the observation about the lower level being less crowded is spot on. The bag lockers near the lower level were always empty, toilets cleaner, etc. Oh, I miss TK at its peak...
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and how fleeting it was.....People forget that prior to 2012, the lounge was garbage, and when the renovation was done, it was about 20% of the final size, with them first expanding sideways, doubling the capacity, the downstairs - taking the employee cafeteria, expanding perhaps another 120% and then the top floor another 20% when "Cafe Creme" disappeared. So the progression was roughly 2012, 2013, 2015 then 2016, and then by the end of 2018 it was gone........
DaveS likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by hfly
and how fleeting it was.....People forget that prior to 2012, the lounge was garbage, and when the renovation was done, it was about 20% of the final size, with them first expanding sideways, doubling the capacity, the downstairs - taking the employee cafeteria, expanding perhaps another 120% and then the top floor another 20% when "Cafe Creme" disappeared. So the progression was roughly 2012, 2013, 2015 then 2016, and then by the end of 2018 it was gone........
Based on the years you've quoted, I think I only visited when the Ataturk lounge was complete. But I enjoyed every minute in there and would rate it above the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR, which many rate as the best Business Class lounge out there. I've only visited the new IST Business Lounge once - and that was before Covid - and found it less appealing than the Ataturk lounge. I think the IST Business Lounge is less welcoming, but I'm glad much of the food/drink offering came with the piano from Ataturk. I look forward to hopefully being able to visit a full-service IST Business Lounge later this year
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 2:20 pm

If flying on a codeshare flight operated by a partner (but with TK flight # and being a TK Stargold holder), can I access the TK lounge in IST?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.