Renewal criteria for Elite changed?

Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by State of Trance
OZ also offers lifetime *G for 500k miles. Now going into my 5th/6th years with TK, sometimes I wish I would have chosen OZ initially instead.
Though I would think earning and redemption rate for TK is better than OZ.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by AviationAddict
Though I would think earning and redemption rate for TK is better than OZ.
Earning and redemption rate is much better on TK.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Granite64
Earning and redemption rate is much better on TK.
Does OZ redemption come with high YQ?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
OZ changed as per 01.10.18 status maintaining requirements. Maintaining Diamond(Star Alliance Gold) is 30k miles now, achieving 40k as previously. Membership 24 months.
https://flyasiana.com/C/KR/EN/conten...de-requirement
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: SIXT Platinum, Hertz Gold, A3 Blue, TK Elite, Krisflyer Elite Silver
TK is in fact not clear about this.
The FQA for the M&S elite membership says:

"How do I extend my Elite Membership?
  • In case you earn 30.000 Status Miles within 1 year or 45.000 Status Miles within 2 years from the date you qualify for Elite Membership, your Elite membership will continue for 2 more years. If you do not fulfill any of these criteria, your membership will be changed to Classic Plus.
"

Further down there is:

"How can I extend or upgrade my membership?

If you want to enjoy even more of the exclusive benefits offered by Miles&Smiles, you can earn Status Miles and use these to upgrade your Miles&Smiles membership status.
  • Earn Status Miles on every flight operated by Turkish Airlines and other Star Alliance member airlines.
  • After your second year of membership, purchase up to 10,000 Status Miles for $ 70 per 1,000 Miles.
  • If you're resident in Turkey and earn 30,000 Status Miles in your first year, or a total of 45,000 Status Miles in your second year, your membership will be extended. If you're not resident in Turkey, and earn 25,000 Status Miles in your first year, or a total of 37,500 Status Miles in your second year, your membership will be extended.
  • If you’ve reached 80,000 Status Miles in the past 12 months, upgrade to Miles&Smiles Elite Plus.
"

I would expect to get notified by M&S if the renewal rules change but so far I have not received anything. Therefore I assume there is no change.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by Jaenks
OZ changed as per 01.10.18 status maintaining requirements. Maintaining Diamond(Star Alliance Gold) is 30k miles now, achieving 40k as previously. Membership 24 months.
https://flyasiana.com/C/KR/EN/conten...de-requirement
That's great news!! ^

Originally Posted by Mike1X
TK is in fact not clear about this.
The FQA for the M&S elite membership says:

"How do I extend my Elite Membership?
  • In case you earn 30.000 Status Miles within 1 year or 45.000 Status Miles within 2 years from the date you qualify for Elite Membership, your Elite membership will continue for 2 more years. If you do not fulfill any of these criteria, your membership will be changed to Classic Plus.
"

Further down there is:

"How can I extend or upgrade my membership?

If you want to enjoy even more of the exclusive benefits offered by Miles&Smiles, you can earn Status Miles and use these to upgrade your Miles&Smiles membership status.
  • Earn Status Miles on every flight operated by Turkish Airlines and other Star Alliance member airlines.
  • After your second year of membership, purchase up to 10,000 Status Miles for $ 70 per 1,000 Miles.
  • If you're resident in Turkey and earn 30,000 Status Miles in your first year, or a total of 45,000 Status Miles in your second year, your membership will be extended. If you're not resident in Turkey, and earn 25,000 Status Miles in your first year, or a total of 37,500 Status Miles in your second year, your membership will be extended.
  • If youve reached 80,000 Status Miles in the past 12 months, upgrade to Miles&Smiles Elite Plus.
"

I would expect to get notified by M&S if the renewal rules change but so far I have not received anything. Therefore I assume there is no change.
Yep! ^
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
This! Just checked it again, it says that 25,000 / 37,500 status miles for 1st / 2nd year respectively for Elite requalification for non-Turkish residents, are required. For ELPL: 40000 status miles / 60000 status miles to requalify!
Hmm
Just reached 38000 miles in my second year and I see I reached a 100%. Means 37500 is still the right amount for a 2 year renewal.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: TK*G
Me too. I think status miles from that day don't count for the next renewal, right? Since the day of my renewal i earned only bonus miles
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I did an analysis of TK VS OZ for my pattern of travel. Here's my comparison of the two - of course YMMV based on your travel patterns:
  • Number of points I would earn based on this year's travel TK = 29848, OZ = 27892
  • Miles needed each 2 years to maintain *A Gold (TK Elite, OZ Diamond) TK = 37500, OZ = 30,000 (I'm non Turkey resident)
  • The most important redemption for me is SYD-ARN J rtn TK = 150,000, OZ = 120,000 or 160,000 (it's a bit confusing)
  • Taxes for above redemption TK = $778 AUD. Can anybody help me with the OZ redemption taxes?
  • Miles Expire after TK = 3 years, OZ = 12 years (assuming Gold)
  • Family Pooling TK = Yes, OZ Sort of (I travel with my wife so pooling allows us to build a useful number of points before they expire)
  • Other factors TK offers discounted partner redemption rates, OZ offers a 10% bonus when flying OZ metal (rarely for me), Lifetime *A Gold is available, there are some short peak periods where redemption rates are higher

Are there any other factors I should consider?

I know this is a little bit off topic, but since TK Vs OZ has been discussed here I thought I'd share the results of my analysis. Moderator feel free to move if needed.
rdlmitedu likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:06 am

What is the criteria for TK to be a Turkish resident? Im a Turkish citizen but Ive been living abroad for quite a while, and my formal residency is in the country where Im living. Does TK still consider me a Turkish resident?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
What is the criteria for TK to be a Turkish resident? Im a Turkish citizen but Ive been living abroad for quite a while, and my formal residency is in the country where Im living. Does TK still consider me a Turkish resident?
If your legal residency is other country than Turkey, then you are a resident of that country where you actually live, regardless of citizenship.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Jaenks
If your legal residency is other country than Turkey, then you are a resident of that country where you actually live, regardless of citizenship.
then another customer service call for me is waiting as my renewal criteria is the same with the Turkish resident one.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by max_kolesne

then another customer service call for me is waiting as my renewal criteria is the same with the Turkish resident one.
Thats odd and I hope it wont be a hassle to get changed. Did you open the account while still living in Turkey?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Thats odd and I hope it wont be a hassle to get changed. Did you open the account while still living in Turkey?
yes but got my status and most of my miles when I was living abroad.

Edit: Just called them and of course they directed me to the feedback form online. Apparently even if my address is up to date, and they can see my foreign residency, their system shows my residency as Turkish. I was told to send a feedback form with evidence of my residence to update.

Last edited by max_kolesne; Jan 12, 2019 at 11:35 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by sydunipete
I did an analysis of TK VS OZ for my pattern of travel. Here's my comparison of the two - of course YMMV based on your travel patterns:
  • Number of points I would earn based on this year's travel TK = 29848, OZ = 27892
  • Miles needed each 2 years to maintain *A Gold (TK Elite, OZ Diamond) TK = 37500, OZ = 30,000 (I'm non Turkey resident)
  • The most important redemption for me is SYD-ARN J rtn TK = 150,000, OZ = 120,000 or 160,000 (it's a bit confusing)
  • Taxes for above redemption TK = $778 AUD. Can anybody help me with the OZ redemption taxes?
  • Miles Expire after TK = 3 years, OZ = 12 years (assuming Gold)
  • Family Pooling TK = Yes, OZ Sort of (I travel with my wife so pooling allows us to build a useful number of points before they expire)
  • Other factors TK offers discounted partner redemption rates, OZ offers a 10% bonus when flying OZ metal (rarely for me), Lifetime *A Gold is available, there are some short peak periods where redemption rates are higher

Are there any other factors I should consider?

I know this is a little bit off topic, but since TK Vs OZ has been discussed here I thought I'd share the results of my analysis. Moderator feel free to move if needed.
Requalifying for 30k miles is a good option of course on OZ. But does anybody here know if they would match for example TK Gold card in order not to start from scrach?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.