FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Renewal criteria for Elite changed? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1932470-renewal-criteria-elite-changed.html)

axxoo25 Sep 25, 2018 2:13 pm

Renewal criteria for Elite changed?

1. change: No difference where you live now.
2. change: The amount of miles you need to keep your status.

In case you earn 30.000 Status Miles within 1 year or 45.000 Status Miles within 2 years from the date you qualify for Elite Membership, your Elite membership will continue for 2 more years. If you do not fulfill any of these criteria, your membership will be changed to Classic Plus.

old rules:

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...ils/index.html

new rules:

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-d...ges/index.html

AviationAddict Sep 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Hmm actually not really - if you scroll to the bottom it still says:

How can I extend or upgrade my membership?
If you want to enjoy even more of the exclusive benefits offered by Miles&Smiles, you can earn Status Miles and use these to upgrade your Miles&Smiles membership status.
  • Earn Status Miles on every flight operated by Turkish Airlines and other Star Alliance member airlines.
  • After your second year of membership, purchase up to 10,000 Status Miles for $ 70 per 1,000 Miles.
  • If you're resident in Turkey and earn 30,000 Status Miles in your first year, or a total of 45,000 Status Miles in your second year, your membership will be extended. If you're not resident in Turkey, and earn 25,000 Status Miles in your first year, or a total of 37,500 Status Miles in your second year, your membership will be extended.
  • If you’ve reached 80,000 Status Miles in the past 12 months, upgrade to Miles&Smiles Elite Plus.

I know at the top section it did say you need 30,000/45,000 miles to extend. But oh well, we all know how good or bad the TK IT/website is. I also logged in and checked my account on my progress to keep my Elite status, it remains 37,500 for non-Turkish residency.

AvidFlyer1990 Sep 25, 2018 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by AviationAddict (Post 30245450)

I know at the top section it did say you need 30,000/45,000 miles to extend. But oh well, we all know how good or bad the TK IT/website is. I also logged in and checked my account on my progress to keep my Elite status, it remains 37,500 for non-Turkish residency.

This! Just checked it again, it says that 25,000 / 37,500 status miles for 1st / 2nd year respectively for Elite requalification for non-Turkish residents, are required. For ELPL: 40000 status miles / 60000 status miles to requalify!

axxoo25 Sep 26, 2018 12:00 am

Originally Posted by AviationAddict (Post 30245450)

I had a call yesterday with TK customer hotline for Elite members, right after opening this thread.

They approved, that the new criteria is valid from now on, but members who have fullfilled their criteria already are not effected.

AvidFlyer1990 Sep 26, 2018 1:29 am

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ecd2b2f9a8.png

See this!

Originally Posted by axxoo25 (Post 30246389)
I had a call yesterday with TK customer hotline for Elite members, right after opening this thread.

They approved, that the new criteria is valid from now on, but members who have fullfilled their criteria already are not effected.

Question: Are you a Turkish resident? It is clearly mentioned that the criteria still remains THE SAME for non-Turkish resident. See the attached pic.

axxoo25 Sep 26, 2018 2:37 am

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 (Post 30246592)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ecd2b2f9a8.png

See this!

Question: Are you a Turkish resident? It is clearly mentioned that the criteria still remains THE SAME for non-Turkish resident. See the attached pic.

No, I am not a Turkish resident.

It is clearly mentioned, that the cirteria has been changed from now on, as you can see in my first post, which I edited already.

If you don't believe it, giva a call to TK's CR.

If you still are not willing to believe/accept it, I can live with your opinion. ;)

AvidFlyer1990 Sep 26, 2018 2:47 am

Originally Posted by axxoo25 (Post 30246699)
No, I am not a Turkish resident.

It is clearly mentioned, that the cirteria has been changed from now on, as you can see in my first post, which I edited already.

If you don't believe it, giva a call to TK's CR.

If you still are not willing to believe/accept it, I can live with your opinion. ;)

Understand your point. But, my question is, assuming we take what the TK reps said as true (**sarcasm** and we all know how accurate they are (at one point they blatantly told me that Air India (AI) is not a member of *A)), how do you explain the second sentence of the 3rd point of the pic that I posted? From what I understand, the new requirements are for TK residents. Like @AviationAddict mentioned, even I logged into my account, and **touchwood** , all seemed okay (although, I did overqualify a fair bit, and I did qualify under the new rules ;) ).

Happy to be corrected / proven wrong!

axxoo25 Sep 26, 2018 3:45 am

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 (Post 30246723)
Understand your point. But, my question is, assuming we take what the TK reps said as true (**sarcasm** and we all know how accurate they are (at one point they blatantly told me that Air India (AI) is not a member of *A)), how do you explain the second sentence of the 3rd point of the pic that I posted? From what I understand, the new requirements are for TK residents. Like @AviationAddict mentioned, even I logged into my account, and **touchwood** , all seemed okay (although, I did overqualify a fair bit, and I did qualify under the new rules ;) ).

TK's IT and web-presentation is not the best, which is not a secret. Same goes for information given by TK reps.

But the second link I have posted in my first post is enough imho. And as I wrote already, members who have fullfilled the old criteria already are not effected, but all other are.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think so.

Let's wait and see.

Granite64 Sep 26, 2018 4:57 am

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 (Post 30246723)

I noticed what OP also noticed in August, I sent TK a message on Twitter and they confirmed that it is 25k/37,5k for non-Turkish residents.

nacho Sep 26, 2018 6:33 am

I thought I was the only one - I started a thread similar to this a couple of months ago.

Now I'm booking flights for next year to run to renew Elite status and right now I'm aiming for 25k within a year.

sydunipete Sep 26, 2018 6:59 am

I'm a non TK resident, my latest statement and the app show the 25k/37.5k as the requal levels.

If all else fails - change to Asiana. Very similar levels (40k in 2 years) and the customer service can't be any worse can it?

AvidFlyer1990 Sep 26, 2018 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Granite64 (Post 30246957)
I noticed what OP also noticed in August, I sent TK a message on Twitter and they confirmed that it is 25k/37,5k for non-Turkish residents.

That's good news! I hope other FT'ers can chime in regarding the updated requirement.

Originally Posted by axxoo25 (Post 30246837)
I hope I am wrong, but I don't think so.

Let's wait and see.

I hope you are wrong too! ;) :(

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 30247226)
I thought I was the only one - I started a thread similar to this a couple of months ago.

Now I'm booking flights for next year to run to renew Elite status and right now I'm aiming for 25k within a year.

Planning to do an MR (even though I have hit the new requirements), to get over the 50k threshold (not that it's required). Starting next year, I am aiming for 30k / yearly.

Granite64 Sep 26, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 (Post 30247595)
That's good news! I hope other FT'ers can chime in regarding the updated requirement.

I hope you are wrong too! ;) :(

Planning to do an MR (even though I have hit the new requirements), to get over the 50k threshold (not that it's required). Starting next year, I am aiming for 30k / yearly.

My requalification period ends in 4 days, I fulfilled the criteria by getting 37500 miles over two years so I should be good..

State of Trance Sep 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by sydunipete (Post 30247326)
I'm a non TK resident, my latest statement and the app show the 25k/37.5k as the requal levels.

If all else fails - change to Asiana. Very similar levels (40k in 2 years) and the customer service can't be any worse can it?

OZ also offers lifetime *G for 500k miles. Now going into my 5th/6th years with TK, sometimes I wish I would have chosen OZ initially instead.

AvidFlyer1990 Sep 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by State of Trance (Post 30248746)
...sometimes I wish I would have chosen OZ initially instead.

Me too! :(