Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TK Destinations for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think MEX can do well, I really do not see many package holiday people from Asia or the Middle East (nor Turkey for that matter) heading to CUN. I do not see people in Spain or wherever in Western Europe backtracking to IST to connect to go to CUN, when this is the definition of a bucket and spade route, with almost no Business travel, and much of it sold at rock bottom fares (i.e. if you can buy a flight MAD-CUN, ORY-CUN, DUS-CUN for 499 EUR or 699 EUR nonstop including hotel, I do not see how a TK offering where one would have to fly backwards 4 hours to then connect a couple of hours, to then fly 11 hours (and not only repeat it on the return, but have a MEX stop on the return as well) would make any sense, when one could just do it in 7 hours directly at rock bottom fares. The hot and high thing may be a reason, but as both Aeromexico and ANA fly there from NRT nonstop which is a greater distance, I do not think it really an issue especially as CUN is a less than 500 mile difference
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hfly
I think MEX can do well, I really do not see many package holiday people from Asia or the Middle East (nor Turkey for that matter) heading to CUN. I do not see people in Spain or wherever in Western Europe backtracking to IST to connect to go to CUN, when this is the definition of a bucket and spade route, with almost no Business travel, and much of it sold at rock bottom fares (i.e. if you can buy a flight MAD-CUN, ORY-CUN, DUS-CUN for 499 EUR or 699 EUR nonstop including hotel, I do not see how a TK offering where one would have to fly backwards 4 hours to then connect a couple of hours, to then fly 11 hours (and not only repeat it on the return, but have a MEX stop on the return as well) would make any sense, when one could just do it in 7 hours directly at rock bottom fares. The hot and high thing may be a reason, but as both Aeromexico and ANA fly there from NRT nonstop which is a greater distance, I do not think it really an issue especially as CUN is a less than 500 mile difference
But surely it's going to be IST MEX CUN IST rather than a full tag, following the Bogota/Panama model. I've no idea how pressing the technical requirements for this are, but the stop is unlikely to make much difference in marketing terms, Quintana Roo incentives might be offered, global O&D analysis might have thrown up something interesting about Cancun AND the place is going to be much cheaper for crew stops

And who knows? Someone Important might have a financial interests, a holiday home or lover in Cancun...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:47 am

I was just playing around with fares.
The Cancun looks like a technical stop, rather a destination. However, it might still be too early to tell.
The inaugural flight to MEX is opened to sale but all business class seats are blocked.
However the return is available.

Sounds like an interesting inaugural.

Carfield
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had assumed IST-CUN-MEX-IST, or IST-CUN-MEX-CUN-IST depending on the aircraft.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hfly
I had assumed IST-CUN-MEX-IST, or IST-CUN-MEX-CUN-IST depending on the aircraft.
OK. MEX is a little further from IST than BOG, though not quite so high. So there could be an issue with a non-stop inbound. Hopefully someone with greater technical knowledge and skills than I (not difficult!) will be along to give us chapter and verse on that
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:49 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Carfield
The inaugural flight to MEX is opened to sale but all business class seats are blocked.

Carfield
TK Execs going for vacation Company business trip
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by ushuaia
Turkish Airlines decided to launch flights to Mexico City via Cancun on August 29, 2019.
Accordingly, Istanbul-Mexico City-Cancun flights will be performed between 3 frequencies per week.

Source in Turkish:
THY merakla beklenen hatt?n aç?l?? tarihini belirledi
Airlineroute Website (which usually a trustworthy one) indicates an earlier date:

Turkish Airlines on Tuesday (08JAN19) opened reservation for its planned service to Mexico, scheduled with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. From 21AUG19, the Star Alliance carrier will operate Istanbul – Mexico City – Cancun – Istanbul route, 3 times a week.

TK181 IST2055 – 0410+1MEX0530+1 – 0750+1CUN0920+1 – 0525+2IST 789 357

Reservation currently available until 26OCT19 inclusive.

Note: So the flight leaving Istanbul during the evening of say, Wednesday, will be returning to Istanbul at early mornng hours on Friday, and so on.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Does anyone have any news on the flights to Sydney? It was planned for this year right ?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:11 pm

Australia is still a "Dreamland" as far as direct Istanbul to Australia (Sydney or Melbourne) flights are concerned. There's not even any indication yet regarding any Aussie flights with a technical stopover!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by mafaky
Australia is still a "Dreamland" as far as direct Istanbul to Australia (Sydney or Melbourne) flights are concerned. There's not even any indication yet regarding any Aussie flights with a technical stopover!
Oh ok, I saw something up this thread I think and also this:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/turkish-air...s-by-june-2019
so was hopeful. I think at the time they were discussing using Bali route? Anyway nothing to do then.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:19 am

0410+1MEX0530+1 – 0750+1CUN0920
Ugh... was so looking forward to the TK arrival, but an 0530 departure and then having to sit around in CUN for 1.5hrs before a long TATL flight... ugh
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Airlineroute Website (which usually a trustworthy one) indicates an earlier date:

Turkish Airlines on Tuesday (08JAN19) opened reservation for its planned service to Mexico, scheduled with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. From 21AUG19, the Star Alliance carrier will operate Istanbul – Mexico City – Cancun – Istanbul route, 3 times a week.

TK181 IST2055 – 0410+1MEX0530+1 – 0750+1CUN0920+1 – 0525+2IST 789 357

Reservation currently available until 26OCT19 inclusive.

Note: So the flight leaving Istanbul during the evening of say, Wednesday, will be returning to Istanbul at early mornng hours on Friday, and so on.
The return flight to IST looks awful! Depart. time and tech. stop in CUN will make this a big NO!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus; UA Gold Elite; Marriott Platinum Elite
Anyone have any updates on when EWR will resume TK flights?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by egokcen
Anyone have any updates on when EWR will resume TK flights?
Looks like (sadly) it will be postponed until 2019 Winter Timetable!

Pls. see: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411801&start=100#p20969583
and also,
https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...t=50#p20969781
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
Oh ok, I saw something up this thread I think and also this:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/turkish-air...s-by-june-2019
so was hopeful. I think at the time they were discussing using Bali route? Anyway nothing to do then.
Well, indeed a rather strange/mysterious case. Maybe TK is still considering the Bali-Denpasar stopover (a technical one or not...) but I guess they first want to start their IST-DPS flights and later add more flights as an extended leg to Australia. Say, 3 weekly only to DPS and 4 weekly DPS+SYD/MEL weekly type of operation. Also we don't know if TK will be allowed any 5th freedom rights between DPS-SYD/MEL, which may be unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.