Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK's Flagship IST *G Lounge [2018 onwards Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zeer0
Lounge Location
IST International Terminal. Near Gate 220

Video walkthrough of the lounge made on 2016-05-25

IST TK Lounge Walkthrough - YouTube

Getting In

Opening Hours: 24 hrs per day

Entrances: 2 entrances - one in the main terminal, another from the far-left side of the check-in area of the airport with separate passport control, Only for TK Business Class passengers or TK Elite Plus in Y, but not Elite or other *G cards, you need to go through main passport control and enter from airside). Entry in the main terminal is done by automated gates. You need a boarding pass with your status on it, if that is not present, please ask the lounge matrons and they'll manually let you in. It is also necessary to consult the front desk if you're bringing a guest(s).

Dedicated entry from the check in area (far left side as you face security/immigration) is only open from 5am to 12am midnight, outside of those hours you must enter the main terminal first and use that entrance.

Prior noted in this wiki, was that there was three entrances, however that one is an exit only that can be found in the lower level of the lounge.

Bag Storage: There are lockers right next to the main entrance on both floors. Lockers are emptied at night.

Eligibility:
Business Class travellers on international flights operated by Turkish Airlines,
Miles&Smiles Elite and Elite Plus members (they may invite their families or one guest),
Star Alliance Gold members (they may invite one guest),
First and Business Class travellers on flights operated by Star Alliance member airlines.

Must travel on Turkish Airlines or Star Alliance

The lounge cannot be accessed through Priority Pass or by paying at the entrance. There are many other pay lounges at IST.

Multiple Entries:
If you're connecting and want to visit Istanbul, you can enter the lounge with your connecting BP, enjoy the lounge then go back to Immigration, enter Turkey, and come back to the lounge after your visit.

To go landside from the lounge: leave the lounge on the upper level and walk straight toward the food court. Just before the food court there is a set of stairs on the left (look for signs to the mosque) that takes you down to the arrival level, and then to the immigration counters.

Facilities

Working
Free Wi-Fi (you get the code by scanning your boarding pass at machines dotted around the lounge)
Showers
Printers and computers

Eating
Extensive Food and Drink Areas

Upstairs:
Turkish desserts, ie baklava
Nut station
Coffee station + Demel cakes
Kofte/grill station
Pasta
Mezze
Beverages (alcoholic/non-alcoholic)
Fresh fruits
Fresh pide
Olive bar
Nut bar

Downstairs:
Turkish "special of the month"/chef's station
Coffee station + Demel cakes
Simit cart
Kofte/grill station
Manti
Pasta
Mezze
Make-your-own-tea/wellness tea station
Beverages (alcoholic/non-alcoholic), stands throughout the lounge
Fresh fruits
Fresh pide
Olive bar
Nut bar

Early morning food differences
"Turkish special of the month" chef's station serving breakfast foods instead (e.g. gozleme)
Kofte station replaced by made-to-order omelette bar/breakfast items
Mini-simits, croissants, and other breakfast pastries
Demel cakes not taken out until ~ 8am
Turkish desserts not taken out until after 8am
Mezze station replaced by muesli, yogurt station

Smoking
This is a non smoking lounge, smoking area is upstairs at the far end of the terminal.

Relaxing
Relaxation Rooms (see below)
Ironing service
Newspapers and Library
Media wall
Pool Table
Golf simulator
RC car track
Self-playing piano
2x PS4 systems with FIFA and NBA

Sleeping in the Lounge

There are 5-7 relaxation rooms.

Eligibility:
4-7 hour layover for TK Business and Elite Plus customers in Economy Class.
International to International connections only

You can only use them only if you are connecting to/from a longhaul Turkish Airlines flight (8+ hours) AND your layover is between 4 and 7 hours.
Couches throughout the lounge.

You may be eligible for a free hotel outside the airport.
Print Wikipost

TK's Flagship IST *G Lounge [2018 onwards Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:32 am

It's been 2 years since passing through Istanbul and I didn't realize about the elite entrance through security and all to the lounge last time. Just so I have my bearings, we will be coming in from the metro. If I remember correctly, we'll be entering from the right side if looking at the security entry. We should pass that, heading towards the wall at the end, and there will be an entrance on our right into that elite entrance. Does that sound right? We're in biz on TK, so we can access it, but I just want to make sure we are heading the right direction so I gain points from the Mrs and Child!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Was in the IST lounge this past Sat/Sun for the first time.
Arrived around 11pm Sunday for a 2am flight to Male.
My observations in no particular order:
Very busy upon entry only to get busier.
Wifi is cumbersome to get access to with the kiosks and very slow. Ended up using my data instead.
Food selection at various stations was excellent and plentiful until around 00:30 Sunday, then started to disappear.
Wine unavailable past around 00:30 as well, but hard stuff was still there.
Pool, golf, race track, TV pit all great entertainment if so inclined.

Is it a nice lounge compared to most others that I have seen? Yes.
Would I show up early just to experience the lounge? No.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
Greetings all,
I am travelling on TK in J from MIA-IST-HAM in Feb. Have a 3 hour layover in IST. I assume I will have access to this lounge? What (if any) are there security or passport controls prior to accessing the lounge? Long lines? Fast Track?
Any info is appreciated.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Arrival from MIA is considered clean, so there are neither security nor passport checks before you can access the lounge.
airmarc likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I had an excellent experience at this lounge, albeit I found the lounge uncomfortably warm. That said, I'm not a person to take photos of everything when traveling, but on the main floor, by the showers, there was a meat station. It was some Turkish recipe, and it was on a skewer. It was absolutely delightful. In the off chance someone knows what I'm speaking of, what is it called? It was a chicken of sorts.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:58 am

I've never seen skewered meat in the lounge. The meat station serves small kebabs and grilled chicken breast.

Shuly
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:07 am

Inconsistent

I visited the lounge three times earlier this week. One was around 6pm: long lines for entering (only one gate was open, not sure why, and a person was scanning boarding passes); very crowded; no locker space upstairs; food stations empty. Another was late night (around 9pm), and it was very different. When I arrived, the place was calm, lots of space, plenty of food and more was coming constantly. Before midnight, toward the early am flights east, the lounge became much more crowded and less pleasant. Finally I was there around 1pm, and it was OK.

Some things I've noticed: it was hard to find wine glasses, let alone the rare cognac glasses. The level on many of the bottles was low, sometimes almost empty. Some of the more expensive brands are gone (they used to have Woodford Reserve, didn't they?) I also recall they used to have people strolling around with canapés (cheese etc.), I haven't seen those for a long while.

It's still a very nice lounge, even if the quality is slowly deteriorating. But I wouldn't get out of my way to spend much time there. And like everything TK, the experience is very inconsistent. Looking forward to seeing what they're planning for the new airport.

​​​​​​​Shuly
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by joeags
It's been 2 years since passing through Istanbul and I didn't realize about the elite entrance through security and all to the lounge last time. Just so I have my bearings, we will be coming in from the metro. If I remember correctly, we'll be entering from the right side if looking at the security entry. We should pass that, heading towards the wall at the end, and there will be an entrance on our right into that elite entrance. Does that sound right? We're in biz on TK, so we can access it, but I just want to make sure we are heading the right direction so I gain points from the Mrs and Child!
Once you get up from the metro and to the Departure level, as you face/look at the security lanes the entrance to the lounge for Business Class passengers is as far left as you can go. You come first to the *G lanes and the temptation is to go in that way but keep on walking with the lanes on your right and you will come to it. I've never had more than a few minutes wait and last time there was someone just inside greeting arriving guests.

Last edited by CoweyB; Feb 2, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by shuly
I've never seen skewered meat in the lounge. The meat station serves small kebabs and grilled chicken breast.

Shuly
​​​​​​​Upon checking with my wife you are correct. She put it on a stick utensil device for me. The grilled chicken breast. Anyone have a name for that dish?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
​​​​​​​The grilled chicken breast. Anyone have a name for that dish?
It's called "Tavuk Külbastı" in Turkish. Its not a specialty dish or anything. Just grilled chicken breast, probably marinated with some spices.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Really lived up to my expectations. Definitely the best *A lounge I've visited. Fantastic breakfast spread, beautifully decorated, and so many fun things to spend time doing. Oh and I loved the ability to take a water bottle with me. Such a simple feature that so few *A lounges have.

I would note 2 things though. I had to show my physical *G card as my LH boarding pass would not scan. And I was unable to connect to the WiFi, even with the printed out username/password. Not sure what was going on there, but I had a Turkish sim so it wasn't too big of a deal.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by zeer0
And I was unable to connect to the WiFi, even with the printed out username/password.
Never had a problem with their WiFi.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:52 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by zeer0

I would note 2 things though. I had to show my physical *G card as my LH boarding pass would not scan.
Yes - this is like this - these scanners cannot read B/Passes issued for non-TK flights.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
For the first time I will have a shortest possible overnight conection at IST, 8,5 hours which does not qualify for hotel (10h) and neither relaxroom (4-7hours).
I am elite+ flying Y. Ane bending of rules, experience, if I might access the relaxroom if lucky?
Any other good choices? It will be short for sleep anyway but too hard enough to dwell in the lounge all night
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:08 am

The common wisdom here says that there's very little flexibility by the lounge attendants. But it never hurts to ask nicely.
An alternative would be the airside airport hotel. I've done it while ago and it's very convenient.

Shuly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.