Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:12 am

I went to the TK airport ticket office yesterday and paid $25 to get ticket reissued for Feb 2023. Got a new ticket number and flight was showing up in my Turkish airlines app. I check again today and now both the Turkish airlines and United Airlines apps show 3 flights on my itinerary! There is one flight for Sept 2022 and two flights for the same day in Feb 2023. Who should I be talking to now? Turkish or United and what should I ask them? This is becoming such a mess.

Confirmation number hasn’t changed
gogooo likes this.

Last edited by travels007; Sep 4, 2022 at 2:20 pm
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: Life
Originally Posted by travels007
I went to the TK airport ticket office yesterday and paid $25 to get ticket reissued for Feb 2023. Got a new ticket number and flight was showing up in my Turkish airlines app. I check again today and now both the Turkish airlines and United Airlines apps show 3 flights on my itinerary! There is one flight for Sept 2022 and two flights for the same day in Feb 2023. Who should I be talking to now? Turkish or United and what should I ask them? This is becoming such a mess.

Confirmation number hasn’t changed
Well done You dont need to call anyone you are set for your Feb 2023 dates Try removing and then adding the trip on your apps.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree. Give it some time/to let the dust settle. Did you try to look up the itinerary on the TK web?

Confirmation No. should be the same/ is not suppose to change. What matters is the ticket No. Try to enter the ticket No. on Saudi webpage to see the segments in the ticket. SAUDIA | Book Flights | Hotels | Holidays Packages
gogooo likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I looked up exact UA flight numbers and transferred 15000 miles to my account before calling the TK 800 number. Explained I wanted to book an award flight for 2 people both one ways. The phone agent took about 15 minutes to come back and tell me that TK doesn't operate flights on IND-SAN route, and that there are other airlines that do, but she can't book those airlines. I asked if me giving her exact flight numbers would help and she said no. She told me to call a ticket office. I did and the recording that played said to call the TK 800 number to book tickets with miles....

I was given a 312 number to call for the Chicago ticket office. Is this who I should be calling?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:29 pm

I called all of the US based ticketing offices and none of them answered...

I'm on call #4 to the 800 number.

Last edited by pwd847; Sep 6, 2022 at 1:39 pm
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by pwd847
I called all of the US based ticketing offices and none of them answered...

I'm on call #4 to the 800 number.
I have had better luck emailing them in the US.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by northinsouth
Which email address and exactly which ticket center does that address go to?

What information do I include?
Name
DOB
Date
Flight numbers?

But then I suppose I'd be concerned about them charging me 15000 points instead of 7500 because there is a layover and I have exactly 15000 points in my account.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by gogooo
Well done You dont need to call anyone you are set for your Feb 2023 dates Try removing and then adding the trip on your apps.
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I agree. Give it some time/to let the dust settle. Did you try to look up the itinerary on the TK web?

Confirmation No. should be the same/ is not suppose to change. What matters is the ticket No. Try to enter the ticket No. on Saudi webpage to see the segments in the ticket. SAUDIA | Book Flights | Hotels | Holidays Packages
I ended up going back to the airport again to talk to the sales office at TK. It was the same agent who reissued the ticket so it was easier to explain. She ended up cancelling the extra flights in the TK system but the United airlines website still showed 3 flights. I went over to the United Airlines check in desk and they deleted the Sept 2022 date but was not able to do anything for the duplicate Feb 2023 date because it was too far out. They suggested to wait and see. After waiting about a day, both United and TK apps show one flight in Feb 2023 finally. I also checked my ticket number on the Saudia website and it shows one flight in Feb 2023.

The only thing off now is that when I request a receipt from United Airlines, it still shows two Feb 2023 dates but this is just a receipt, so it should be ok right?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: Life
Originally Posted by travels007
I ended up going back to the airport again to talk to the sales office at TK. It was the same agent who reissued the ticket so it was easier to explain. She ended up cancelling the extra flights in the TK system but the United airlines website still showed 3 flights. I went over to the United Airlines check in desk and they deleted the Sept 2022 date but was not able to do anything for the duplicate Feb 2023 date because it was too far out. They suggested to wait and see. After waiting about a day, both United and TK apps show one flight in Feb 2023 finally. I also checked my ticket number on the Saudia website and it shows one flight in Feb 2023.

The only thing off now is that when I request a receipt from United Airlines, it still shows two Feb 2023 dates but this is just a receipt, so it should be ok right?
UA has nothing to do with the ticket. Just relax and enjoy the flight
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
"Open itinerary" - what happened here?

Around the end of 2021, to use up some expiring Miles and Smiles points, I booked a reward ticket on Air Canada. Flight was in May 2022. At the time, all good, I had an AC PNR as well as the TK one, all the flights showed up as expected on both sites.

About a week before the trip, I had to pull the plug on it, so rather than lose the miles, I rescheduled to the earliest available award dates I could find on the same route, which was October 2022. I called up TK, they changed the dates for me, told me there would be a $25 USD fee for it. I had to pay that fee a day later on a different phone call, but the payment went through and I got an email confirming the change and it showed the new dates that I was meant to travel.

The first sign that something was wrong was emails from Air Canada to check in for my original flights in May. Viewing the booking at AC using their PNR still showed the original May dates. But I had a look on TK's site and it showed the October dates, so I figured something just hadn't synced up.

Yesterday I opened the itinerary on AC and it shows the May flights as having been flown. I opened the itinerary on TK and it doesn't show any segments at all. I rang up TK and they told me that the segments for October had been deleted, and that I now have an "open itinerary". As far as I knew I had done everything correctly, paid my $25, so what happened? The guy from TK said to file some feedback and they could get this fixed for me, but I've had a look at available award seats on AC and they aren't there for the dates I want to fly anymore, so I'm doubtful that TK will be able to get this sorted out.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by northinsouth
Email worked. Thanks!

But in the meantime the flight I wanted changed to nonsaver. Oh well.

The paperwork they have you fill out is pretty difficult to understand.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Following up on my own saga a couple of posts ago, Turkish Airlines are claiming that my flights on Air Canada have been cancelled. However, they haven't been, as I can still book them for cash today.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Booked a *A award on UA for my in-laws departing tomorrow (Sep 13), and they can't fly it. I've tried canceling or changing over the phone 8-10 times with TK, with no luck. Unfortunately I haven't had time to go to the airport ticket office to change it.

Does it make any sense to call UA and tell them we will no show? I don't know if there's any way to preserve the value until after Sep 13 so that I have time to go change or redeposit the ticket.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You can rebook or cancel the TK award even after travel date. No-show is no issue for TK.
milypan likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by SK AAR
You can rebook or cancel the TK award even after travel date. No-show is no issue for TK.
Thanks! I did notice in their T&Cs that the mileage redeposit fee for a *A award no-show is no different than the standard *A award redeposit fee, but nice to hear that confirmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.