Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2022, 11:41 pm

Programs: Life
Originally Posted by travels007
The confirmation number did not change. There was always a different confirmation number on the United website versus the Turkish Airlines website.

I did not get a new ticket number when United changed my flight to February 2023. I am only able to find the ticket number from the United website when I click the button to get an emailed receipt. Am I supposed to get a new ticket number?

Given how unhelpful Turkish Airlines call center reps are, what should I tell them? Or should I try emailing one of the US ticket offices?
Yes you must have a new ticket number if your original booking has been successfully changed- have you called the TK sales office in your country?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The ticket def. needs to be reissued (i.e. the ticket will be updated and gets a new ticket No.) and only TK is able to do that. Currently, the flights in Feb 2023 do not match the ticket in the reservation and you will not be able to travel. UA only changed the flights in the reservation but will not be able to/will refuse to reissue award ticket issued by another airline.

You need to contact your local TK ticket office and explain that UA has rebooked/changed the flights and ask TK to reissue the ticket. Hopefully, TK will not object to the fact that the new travel dates exceed the validity of the ticket, but give it a try. But give it a few days; it's possible that UA has requested TK to reissue the ticket (it can take a while to get reissued), but if the ticket No. remains the same as originally issued last year, you need to take action.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Given how unhelpful Turkish Airlines call center reps are, what should I tell them? Or should I try emailing one of the US ticket offices?
For a couple award issues, I had luck writing to the folks in the Houston office. Very prompt and very helpful. YMMV, of course.
sammyg901 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Rule against redeye?

I'm trying to book a ticket on United from the Bay Area to San Juan PR. I see availability both ways on United, AC, ANA, with a stop in IAH. However, TK website and call center can only see the return flight from SJU to SFO, but not the outbound from SJC to SJU together. They can see the flights (SJC-IAH, IAH-SJU) separately and can make a reservation but that leg would cost 15,000 mi instead of the usual 7,500 mi one way. The call center, as helpful as usual, said they don't know why the system doesn't give them an option to book the tickets together. The SJC-IAH leg is a redeye, so I wonder if the system can't handle the two flights leaving on different dates. Any suggestion of what to do?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by northinsouth
For a couple award issues, I had luck writing to the folks in the Houston office. Very prompt and very helpful. YMMV, of course.
my ticket issue also resolved by houston office. great helpful office
sydunipete and monopod like this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:28 pm

I booked an United Airlines flight from SFO to Hawaii for travel in September 2022 using Turkish Airlines miles. I did this on the phone on 12/31/2021 right before my Turkish Airlines miles expired. I can no longer make the trip and am wondering what my options are.

1. If I cancel the flight, will I get the Turkish Airlines back? My guess is probably not since the miles expired on 12/31/2021?

2. If item 1 is right, then my only option would be to change the flight to a future date in February 2022 that I can hopefully use. Will I have to pay a change fee if the original flight I booked was 9am to 11:48am and now the current scheduled time is 8:53am to 11:31am? Is this considered enough of a time change to avoid the $25 change fee?

3. Is the best way to change the flight a call to the call center (they were hit or miss when I was trying to book the initial flight)? Are there any other ways to do the change like email?
An update: After multiple attempts with Turkish Airlines call center to change my flight to an open ticket or to a new date in February 2023 with no luck at all (I called at least 5 times), I tried calling United Airlines as one of the Turkish Airlines reps suggested. Surprisingly, the United Airlines representative was able to change my flight to February 2023 even though my original award booking was done through Turkish Airlines. Maybe it is because there was a small schedule change. One of the Turkish Airlines reps did mention that the Turkish Airlines system was not recognizing the schedule change.

The hiccup is... The Turkish Airlines website still shows the September 2022 date under the Turkish Airlines confirmation number (UXXXXX). The United Airlines website shows the new February 2023 date under a different United Airlines confirmation number (FXXXXX) and also the Turkish Airlines confirmation number (UXXXXX). The United Airlines website also says the ticket status is ticketed Dec 31, 2021. Will I have any issues with this flight in Feb 2023? I assume that as long as United Airlines shows my flight, I should be ok? Has anyone has this issue before?
The confirmation number did not change. There was always a different confirmation number on the United website versus the Turkish Airlines website.

I did not get a new ticket number when United changed my flight to February 2023. I am only able to find the ticket number from the United website when I click the button to get an emailed receipt. Am I supposed to get a new ticket number?

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The ticket def. needs to be reissued (i.e. the ticket will be updated and gets a new ticket No.) and only TK is able to do that. Currently, the flights in Feb 2023 do not match the ticket in the reservation and you will not be able to travel. UA only changed the flights in the reservation but will not be able to/will refuse to reissue award ticket issued by another airline.

You need to contact your local TK ticket office and explain that UA has rebooked/changed the flights and ask TK to reissue the ticket. Hopefully, TK will not object to the fact that the new travel dates exceed the validity of the ticket, but give it a try. But give it a few days; it's possible that UA has requested TK to reissue the ticket (it can take a while to get reissued), but if the ticket No. remains the same as originally issued last year, you need to take action.
Update 2:
a. I called United and they told me the ticket number associated with the Feb 2023 date is actually the old ticket number with a 2 at the end.. So 239XXXXXXXXXX2 (14 digits total). When I asked how I can see the ticket number on the United website, the agent didn't have an answer. He emailed me a receipt but the receipt showed the old ticket number, 239XXXXXXXXXX. The United agent told me I should be OK to travel in Feb 2023 but told me to ask Turkish Airlines why the Turkish website is showing the old reservation.
b. I emailed a few US ticket offices and got a response pretty quickly from the LAX office. They told me I have to call the 1-800 call center number and cancel my ticket and pay a change fee (which wouldn't work because my Turkish airlines miles are now expired).
c. I called Turkish Airlines 1-800 call center number and explained how I changed my flight through United but the Turkish airlines website was still showing the old flight info. The agent told me that their system can't see updated United airlines information and told me I should be fine to travel. Then the agent offered to add the new ticket number to my account, so I gave her the new ticket number with the 2 at the end. She said she put it into the system and it should update in a few hours. Of course, it has been over 12 hours and the new flight doesn't show up on TK website.

After getting off the phone, I googled and found that Turkish airlines ticket numbers are 13 digits so the ticket number that United sees is kind of odd.
1. Is it weird to have a 14 digital ticket number? If United has a 14 digit ticket number associated with the new Feb 2023 flight, should I be OK? I am able to pick a seat on the United app for the Feb 2023 flight.
2. Should I be concerned that the receipt in the United system shows the old ticket number but the agent on the phone told me there is a 14 digit ticket number for the Feb 2023 flight? The receipt shows the new Feb 2023 flight date.
3. Any suggestions on what to do next? I live near SFO so I could go to the ticket counter at the airport but I am not sure if they would be able to do anything.

Last edited by travels007; Aug 30, 2022 at 1:38 pm
Old Aug 30, 2022, 4:33 pm

You dont have a ticket for your new dates and your miles wont redposit if you cancel, There is a slim possiblity of calling TK and extend the validity as here.
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...tending-miles/
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your TK ticket No. is def. not 14 digits. It is 235 followed by 10 digits. The info you got from UA (14 digits) is wrong; I'm surprised that the TK agent didn't realise that and offered to insert it in the TK reservation.

The issue is here that TK can't see the rebooked segments in the TK reservation (when rebooking done by UA). Hence, TK has no grounds for reissuing the ticket. Maybe you should call UA again explaining that TK can't see the rebooked flights in their system and consequently can't reissue the ticket - and ask if UA has a different way to relay to updated information?

I agree with the previous poster that you have a serious issue here because your (current) TK ticket doesn't match the new flights, i.e. the information from the UA agent that "all is good" is wrong. Ask them to dig into the ticket to see each segment (if UA is able to do that); then the UA agent should be able see the issue.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
2 possibilities come to mind for what the 14th digit is: 1) if OP's ticket has more than 4 coupons, it could be the sequential ticket (e.g. ticket 235XXXXXXXXX1-2), or 2) the 14th digit is the coupon number (i.e. segment 1, segment 2, etc.).

Regardless, sounds like OP doesn't have a valid ticket and needs to get it reissued ASAP. I would recommend going in person to a TK sales office if no other methods have worked.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flight Tomorrow on OW Partner, Ticket Not Issued Correctly - FlyerTalk Forums

Although this is not TK and UA, this is classic example of what happens when the ticket is not reissued, i.e. the ticket segments do not match the flights in the reservation.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Regardless, sounds like OP doesn't have a valid ticket and needs to get it reissued ASAP. I would recommend going in person to a TK sales office if no other methods have worked.
I agree. The issue is that TK can't see the rebooked flights/changes UA made to the reservation.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
2 possibilities come to mind for what the 14th digit is: 1) if OP's ticket has more than 4 coupons, it could be the sequential ticket (e.g. ticket 235XXXXXXXXX1-2), or 2) the 14th digit is the coupon number (i.e. segment 1, segment 2, etc.)
I agree; most likely the last digit is the coupon number. You often/always see the coupon No. printed on BP.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:32 pm

I called United and told them Turkish can't see the update in their system. So, the United rep said they did something so that Turkish can see the update in their system.

I called Turkish about 30 minutes later and told them I changed the flight with United to Feb 2023 and that I need the ticket re-issued. The Turkish rep said he didn't see the Feb 2023 date in the system but he tried to re-issue the ticket for Feb 2023 anyway. He tried to price it out to see what I would have to pay and said I can't get the ticket re-issued to Feb 2023 because my ticket is only valid until Dec 31, 2022 (1 year after date of issuance).

It seems like I may be out of luck with this situation? Turkish won't re-issue the ticket because they don't see the update from United and also because of the ticket validity issue. I wonder if showing screenshots of my phone at the airport ticket counter would help at this point. It is odd that United Airlines even agreed to change my flight to Feb 2023 in the first place. Any ideas on what I can say to the ticket counter at the airport to maybe get this fixed?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 12:03 am

I called United and told them Turkish can't see the update in their system. So, the United rep said they did something so that Turkish can see the update in their system.

I called Turkish about 30 minutes later and told them I changed the flight with United to Feb 2023 and that I need the ticket re-issued. The Turkish rep said he didn't see the Feb 2023 date in the system but he tried to re-issue the ticket for Feb 2023 anyway. He tried to price it out to see what I would have to pay and said I can't get the ticket re-issued to Feb 2023 because my ticket is only valid until Dec 31, 2022 (1 year after date of issuance).

It seems like I may be out of luck with this situation? Turkish won't re-issue the ticket because they don't see the update from United and also because of the ticket validity issue. I wonder if showing screenshots of my phone at the airport ticket counter would help at this point. It is odd that United Airlines even agreed to change my flight to Feb 2023 in the first place. Any ideas on what I can say to the ticket counter at the airport to maybe get this fixed?
You dont have a ticket at this point for the Feb 2023 dates so the rest of the permutations you mention are moot. Call the local office and sort it as everyone has suggested, you will need to travel before 31.12.2022. If not pay the miles extension at the local ticket office for your Feb 2023 ticket if thats a possiblity.
Hate to keep repeating but really you do not have a ticket to travel for your Feb 2023 dates. The only company which can issue Miles&Smiles ticket is Turkish airlines!!
SK AAR and craigthemif like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
My wife and I have 17k each to burn via TK, and won't be using TK metal this year. I'd like to *A a one-way out of ATL to anywhere stateside, but am not finding anything at all--not coach, not biz. The only one route I'm seeing is from JFK/EWR either TATL or to LAX/SFO. I'm happy to fly the West Coast, but it would be best if it's from our home airport. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wait for availability to possibly re-appear later. Now everything is dry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.