Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
Originally Posted by asnovici
Whaaat???
I also managed to book a Star Alliance award online just now, using Safari. In "Safari > Settings for this website" I had to tick off the "Enable content blockers". Then my payment was successful (on my first attempt with the box ticked - I never saw the Mastercard 3D authorization)

FYI the flight is OSL-LHR with SAS. 15000 TK miles and NOK 194 for "business" (SAS Plus) Funnily, the booking confirmation / email shows "Economy". Perhaps that text is just based on the booking class I.
asnovici and sydunipete like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by pineapple_juice
I also managed to book a Star Alliance award online just now, using Safari. In "Safari > Settings for this website" I had to tick off the "Enable content blockers". Then my payment was successful (on my first attempt with the box ticked - I never saw the Mastercard 3D authorization)

FYI the flight is OSL-LHR with SAS. 15000 TK miles and NOK 194 for "business" (SAS Plus) Funnily, the booking confirmation / email shows "Economy". Perhaps that text is just based on the booking class I.
Thank you for sharing your experience! This is huge. Great tip on the browser!
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by pineapple_juice

This sounds very promising. I use Windows - can any browser technical people tell us what might be similar to the dis-"enable content blockers" setting in say Chrome, Edge or Firefox?
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
update today: I called TK office this morning in order to cancel the ticket (flight change). Surprisingly the cc agent told me, that UA has not confirmed the ticket yet (but I have PNR and ticket number). She advised me to call UA and ask for confirmation. So i called UA and the cc agent there could not do anything on the 'empty PNR' . They started the pingpong game to give responsibilities to each other....Now I opened a claim at TK feedback site.
I am aware that booking a *alliance flight with TK miles is always a challenge but in this case it is highly recommended to check your bookings/tickets on a daily base.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Love this!
booked 6 X tix for ewr-sfo-ogg for Oct . Best 45k spent!
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:35 pm

Changing/Cancelling United Airlines Mileage Booking

I booked an United Airlines flight from SFO to Hawaii for travel in September 2022 using Turkish Airlines miles. I did this on the phone on 12/31/2021 right before my Turkish Airlines miles expired. I can no longer make the trip and am wondering what my options are.

1. If I cancel the flight, will I get the Turkish Airlines back? My guess is probably not since the miles expired on 12/31/2021?

2. If item 1 is right, then my only option would be to change the flight to a future date in February 2022 that I can hopefully use. Will I have to pay a change fee if the original flight I booked was 9am to 11:48am and now the current scheduled time is 8:53am to 11:31am? Is this considered enough of a time change to avoid the $25 change fee?

3. Is the best way to change the flight a call to the call center (they were hit or miss when I was trying to book the initial flight)? Are there any other ways to do the change like email?

Last edited by travels007; Jul 25, 2022 at 4:44 pm
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Nightmare to call TK. Issued a ticket from BOS - SFO with TK miles on UA.

Unfortunately, I have to change the departure point from BOS to NYC. I checked with UA where some X class availabilities only opened up 3 days before departure.

Called TK 3 times to change BOS-SFO to EWR-AUS-SFO. They have been unable to do so

I slept and gave up. Thinking to go visit the NYC sales office. Fortunately SFO's email works, someone got back to me and issued me with paying 25 USD change fee.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by travels007
I booked an United Airlines flight from SFO to Hawaii for travel in September 2022 using Turkish Airlines miles. I did this on the phone on 12/31/2021 right before my Turkish Airlines miles expired. I can no longer make the trip and am wondering what my options are.

1. If I cancel the flight, will I get the Turkish Airlines back? My guess is probably not since the miles expired on 12/31/2021?

2. If item 1 is right, then my only option would be to change the flight to a future date in February 2022 that I can hopefully use. Will I have to pay a change fee if the original flight I booked was 9am to 11:48am and now the current scheduled time is 8:53am to 11:31am? Is this considered enough of a time change to avoid the $25 change fee?

3. Is the best way to change the flight a call to the call center (they were hit or miss when I was trying to book the initial flight)? Are there any other ways to do the change like email?
I did the same thing last year. I booked a random flight which for sure I know I wouldn't be travelling on that date. I called earlier this year to call center in April and I told them I am not sure when to travel. They changed my ticket to an open ticket.

After a few months, I know when I will want to use this flight. I changed my destination and departure point. The ticketing hotline seems to have some difficulty issuing this ticket. The sale office at YUL was very helpful and changed my flight by email back and forth.

I guess you can try to see if the ticketing hotline to see if your flight can be changed to open ticket.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
I did the same thing last year. I booked a random flight which for sure I know I wouldn't be travelling on that date. I called earlier this year to call center in April and I told them I am not sure when to travel. They changed my ticket to an open ticket.

After a few months, I know when I will want to use this flight. I changed my destination and departure point. The ticketing hotline seems to have some difficulty issuing this ticket. The sale office at YUL was very helpful and changed my flight by email back and forth.

I guess you can try to see if the ticketing hotline to see if your flight can be changed to open ticket.
Interesting, what exactly is an open ticket? They cancel my current flight and keep the confirmation number to reserve the miles?

What is the length of validity on the open ticket?

Once I am ready to book, I will need to call or email to book using the open ticket?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by travels007
Interesting, what exactly is an open ticket? They cancel my current flight and keep the confirmation number to reserve the miles?

What is the length of validity on the open ticket?

Once I am ready to book, I will need to call or email to book using the open ticket?
Exactly! You should be able to have an option for an open ticket that would keep your reservation. Once you are ready to travel, you can call them back to rebook your flight.

If my memory serves me correctly, the validity was 1 year. But I am not 100% sure.

However, back in April, changing tickets were free under the so-called COVID flexible travel rule. I am not sure if you are liable to a 25 USD fee nowadays as TK seems to levy this fee again
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:48 pm

On Turkish Airlines website, went to "Buy Star Alliance award tickets", but can find no available flights at all. Could this be because I have 0 miles? I am considering transferring miles/points from another program, but wanted to actually see available flights online before doing the transfer. But maybe the website won't show me any flights because I have no miles?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:51 pm

[QUOTE=jcatx;34461251]On Turkish Airlines website, went to "Buy Star Alliance award tickets", but can find no available flights at all. Could this be because I have 0 miles? I am considering transferring miles/points from another program, but wanted to actually see available flights online before doing the transfer. But maybe the website won't show me any flights because I have no miles?[/QUOTE

You will see availability even if you have zero miles.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:30 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
After trying for last month , I was able to book Award ticket on Star Alliance Partner. Booked 2 tickets business class DEL-LIS , First segment DEL-WAW ( on Lot polish) , connecting with WAW-LIS ( on Tap Portugal) . After checking availability on United website , I checked on Turkish Airlines website ... did not find same seats. Fortunately on calling customer care ,they found award seats ,requested them to issue PNR ... in mean time I transferred miles to Miles n Smiles. Finally able to get ticketed . Cost per Pax 30000 miles + 52 USD as taxes.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:07 pm

I'm trying to use expiring turkish miles for ATL-OGG. I can see (x) saver award fares on United and Aeroplan sites for my dates. However, Turkish doesn't show the flights. For outgoing, Turkish does not have the 7:30am flight from ATL-SFO leg. Instead, it only shows a later ATL-SFO flight. Then an overnight layover, which makes it 15k turkish miles one way instead of 7500. I also can't locate on Turkish the return through DEN. I've called the Turkish call center 10 times with nobody able to see availability. Both layovers are less than 4 hours, so I don't think that is the issue. Advice?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by rk324
I'm trying to use expiring turkish miles for ATL-OGG. I can see (x) saver award fares on United and Aeroplan sites for my dates. However, Turkish doesn't show the flights. For outgoing, Turkish does not have the 7:30am flight from ATL-SFO leg. Instead, it only shows a later ATL-SFO flight. Then an overnight layover, which makes it 15k turkish miles one way instead of 7500. I also can't locate on Turkish the return through DEN. I've called the Turkish call center 10 times with nobody able to see availability. Both layovers are less than 4 hours, so I don't think that is the issue. Advice?
​​​​​​The same here. Called and wrote already 5 times... I see availability for IAH LAX layover of 14 hours and then LAX HNL next day. The answers I get from them exceeds the stupidity level I had imagined... Seems that they get they agents from the street without any knowhow about even airport codes...

Maybe the layover is too long but I am prepared even to pay more miles fot the ticket...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.