Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Yizhu
Every time I called to request my United Airlines flight cancellation and refund mile points, the agent told me the system is under maintenance.

anyone have any luck with the phone agent with flight cancellation?
I've had this going on for a month now. Any experts out there know who to contact or what to do? Can I cancel in person at a ticket office? I'm starting to think the only option may be a chargeback for the cash portion and small claims court for fair value of miles?
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by moe8555
I've had this going on for a month now. Any experts out there know who to contact or what to do? Can I cancel in person at a ticket office? I'm starting to think the only option may be a chargeback for the cash portion and small claims court for fair value of miles?
Ticket office maybe.

However, try calling United and asking if you can change the date - and then cancel later...when the TK system is back online.

I have had major problems with many many award tickets where TK simply refuses to accept refunding miles and fees!
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Titanium Member
I had to book the damn ticket by calling Turkish Airlines, and it took me 2 attempts! The first agent didn’t know what she was doing, she said she found the Itinerary, but couldn’t process the ticket. I told her the website wasn’t working, and she could say was “TA is working on it,” then I asked her how can I book this ticket then? She said call later.

The second agent was much more competent.

At least I booked a United Transcon flight in real Polaris for only 12.5k Turkish miles!

I suppose it was worth it considering how little miles I had to fork over, but still how hard is to update your website??
Old Aug 25, 2021, 10:37 am

We are going to Turkey next year. I plan on using United miles for some of the Turkey flights , on Turkish. Has anyone had problems with that? I read a thread about a baggage problem. Don't remember if it was this one, or another. Just thought I would ask before trying to do them. LOL
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy

I have had major problems with many many award tickets where TK simply refuses to accept refunding miles and fees!
So what was the solution in the end for these various tickets?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Ticket office maybe.

However, try calling United and asking if you can change the date - and then cancel later...when the TK system is back online.

Did you try via the Feedback form on the website? I managed to get some old tickets refunded this way when the call centre had been useless.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Did you try via the Feedback form on the website? I managed to get some old tickets refunded this way when the call centre had been useless.
How did they handle paying the $25 cancelation fee though?
Old Aug 28, 2021, 5:01 pm

Just wanted to update that the cancellation has been successfully carried out, but it was quite an involved process that I'm not so sure a "typical/non-savvy" consumer would consider or be capable of doing (called direct to Turkey, used a foreign non-U.S. credit card, etc.)
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:09 pm

Anyone tried booking Lufthansa first class successfully?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:57 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by tboons
Anyone tried booking Lufthansa first class successfully?
Wiki page shows F is not available, since 2019
Old Aug 30, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
What's the best sales office to call for trying to change a TK award – to add one more sector at the end (LH)
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
It appears Turkish is running a promo for middle east destinations from ATL and DFW. I locked in ATL-IST-DXB on the 787 and A350 in J for 47,000 miles next May.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by lsed
Wiki page shows F is not available, since 2019
It does, but no report of anyone actually trying that for many months. I was wondering the same recently. TK support didn't help me (generic answers both at the website and in Facebook) and local office is not working. Will try calling the international support later.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Unless there is a change within the last few days, TK can't issue F awards on *A partners.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 6:44 pm

Ouch. I thought the first class has several sweet spots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.