Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Turkish Airlines connecting/transit flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place...

I want to fly from Birmingham UK to Samsun Turkey with Turkish Airlines, which would mean changing flights at Istanbul.

As I've never been on a connecting flight before can anyone explain to me how this would work? I.e. would I have to collect my baggage before getting the second flight etc.

Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Your bags will be checked all the way unless when you booked it said this:

11:15 Birmingham (BHX) 17:15 Istanbul (IST)
22:45 Istanbul (SAW) 00:05 Samsun (SZF)

I hope you booked to connect at Attaurk. So check your ticket. If you did then you are fine, if not, you're in for a surprise.

http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/.../Transfer.aspx

Transfer / Transit Passenger

Transfer Passengers:
(International Transfer Passengers With A Domestic Connection Flight)

Passengers arriving from abroad are subject to visa and passport controls to enter the country at the Arrivals Floor before they proceed for their domestic connection flight. The passenger then proceeds to the Domestic Terminal and finalizes his/her transfer procedure in the relevant lounge by presenting his/her boarding card issued in the country of origin. If a boarding card is not issued at the origin airport then the passenger needs to go through check-in at the Domestic Terminal. If your journey continues on a different airline, please ensure that you have the relevant information on whether or not you need to claim your luggage and check your ticket. According to their procedures, some airlines transfer the luggage automatically onto the connection flight. Therefore, the passenger does not have to claim their luggage in between flights. Please ensure that your luggage is labeled until your final destination to ensure that it is not left in the terminal.

Note:
Should you have time prior to your flight, we recommend that you visit our shopping facilities.

Click for detailed shopping information.

Transfer PassengersInternational Transfer Passengers With An International Connection Flight) A boarding card is issued for the passenger (if not issued in the country of origin) at the transit desk of the relevant handling company on the Arrivals floor. The passenger does not go through passport control. Instead, he/she directly proceeds through the transit area into the International Departures area. Baggage will be automatically transferred to the connecting flight.

Note:
Should you have time prior to your flight, we recommend that you visit our shopping facilities.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Even more specific, you should read this page, go all the way down to "Airports Without Customs Control" and "Airports With Customs Control".

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...ger-procedures

The page is not complete, YKO and OGU should not have customs either. Based on my experiences through IST n times, picking up the luggage and re-checking in doesn't take much longer as you walk by the baggage claim area.

So you'll need to pick up the bag if the final destination is in "Airports Without Customs Control" plus YKO and OGU even if it's tagged all the way there.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
International xfer thru IST on SEPARATE tickets

A similar situation, I am connecting through IST on separate tickets, with about 4 hours connection time.

TLV - IST TK flight on revenue ticket
IST - FCO TK flight on award ticket

According to the TK website, since my flights are on separate tickets, I will need clear immigration and claim my baggage. Then walk to the counter and check-in for my connecting flight to Rome. This seems ridiculous since both flights are on Turkish Airlines.

Any chance they will tag my baggage at TLV all the way through and issue my connecting boarding pass there? I really prefer not to enter the country as I'm travelling with someone who would need a visa just for that brief entry.

Can I call TK reservations to link or cross-reference the PNR's to allow an airside connection?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
You'll be able to get your onward BP by checking in online. Not sure about the thru check though. Turkish visa is easy to do online if you need to get one.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Need info please

I am connecting at Istanbul Sabina Gokcen (SAW) .

I am flying business class from Canada to Israel on the following itinerary: YYC-FRA-SAW-TLV

YYC-FRA on AC
FRA-SAW on TK
SAW-TLV on TK/

As I am not familiar with SAW, I need info about transiting SAW.
Is FRA-SAW and SAW-TLV considered international to international connection and exempt from a visa?

Directions to connect at SAW would also be appreciated.

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.