Wiki Posts
Search

Miles for canceled flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Miles for canceled flight?

Hi,

I was booked on a TK flight that was canceled; they re-booked me on another airline. Am I still entitled to miles for my original itinerary? If I am, what would be the best way to request them? My experience with leaving messages on their on-line customer service form is not great.

Thanks a lot,

Shuly
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Answering my own question: I went to my Miles and Smiles account and chose "claim missing miles" (under "Mile"). Entered the details of my two canceled flights, and the miles were immediately credited to my account! Unbelievable.

I must say I have boarding cards for these two segments; I don't know whether this would have worked had the flights been canceled a few days earlier. But it seems that if one is checked in for a flight that is subsequently canceled, one can claim the miles immediately.

Shuly
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
That's impressive and good to know. While most FFPs will credit miles for cases of involuntary reroutes (i.e. flight gets cancelled and they put you on another airline), in most programs I have had such cases with it takes a lot of documentation and sweat to get the miles.

Good to see that TK is quick & simple for once.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Nice to know - thanks from sharing...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Just to clarify, did they credit the miles of your cancelled flight or did they credit the miles of your new flights on the different carrier? Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AznMadSci
Just to clarify, did they credit the miles of your cancelled flight or did they credit the miles of your new flights on the different carrier? Thanks!
The canceled flights, of course. I don't think it would have been possible for TK to credit miles on routes they don't fly (I had to be re-routed).

Shuly
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Update

Update: The miles were deducted from my account. There was no notice, of course. I'm now trying to get a person to look into it, but finding a person at Miles and Smiles Customer Service is not an easy task...

Shuly

Originally Posted by shuly
Answering my own question: I went to my Miles and Smiles account and chose "claim missing miles" (under "Mile"). Entered the details of my two canceled flights, and the miles were immediately credited to my account! Unbelievable.

I must say I have boarding cards for these two segments; I don't know whether this would have worked had the flights been canceled a few days earlier. But it seems that if one is checked in for a flight that is subsequently canceled, one can claim the miles immediately.

Shuly
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by shuly
Update: The miles were deducted from my account. There was no notice, of course. I'm now trying to get a person to look into it, but finding a person at Miles and Smiles Customer Service is not an easy task...

Shuly
The same thing just happened to me. 2013 I retro-claimed a flight I flew ALY-IST in October and got it credited, now in this month's statement I see that it has been deducted..

Please let me know if you manage to solve it, I need to solve mine as well.

Last edited by Gnopps; Aug 24, 2014 at 11:54 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Problem solved

Originally Posted by Gnopps
The same thing just happened to me. 2013 I retro-claimed a flight I flew ALY-IST in October and got it credited, now in this month's statement I see that it has been deducted..

Please let me know if you manage to solve it, I need to solve mine as well.
I filled a customer service web form on the TK web site. I then e-mailed the local CTO with the details, and included the web form reference number. At first they replied with a form letter, but I insisted that they escalate it and they did. I got an e-mail this morning from the local marketing person, who told me she contacted Istanbul about it, and within three hours I got an e-mail from the Istanbul customer service office telling me that the miles were re-credited. And they were.

All in all, a very satisfactory (if not straight-forward) solution.

Shuly
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:41 am

Due to the snow-induced meltdown in IST on 18/FEB, I am now in the same situation as the OP. The one cancelled flight in question is the one making me Elite+, so I am quite keen on these miles.

The automated retro-claim form did not work for me, so I used the online contact form to request mileage credit. I've attached 1) boarding pass for cancelled flight 2) screen shot of cancellation 3) original ticket.

Will see how it goes...
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:00 am

So, 2 1/2 weeks after submitting a request for my cancelled flight, I got the following response from TK:
According to Miles&Smiles program rules if the flight is not flown, it is not possible to claim your miles.
. Not happy with this attitude - I will now definitely demand a refund for the unused coupon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.