Community
Wiki Posts
Search

using Bonus Miles - how?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:04 am
Original Poster

using Bonus Miles - how?

I have some status or bonus miles on this Miles and Smiles program. How do I use them? In particular, I simply want to use them for a cheaper ticket on Turkish Airlines they next time I fly with them. But how? It includes "Welcome Miles" as Bonus Miles. They say I have 843 Status Miles in total for a related flight. Baffling. Thanks

Last edited by ukthesis; Jul 3, 2014 at 3:17 am
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
When it comes to redemptions, you can use the total available balance in your account. The "status miles" are the part of your total balance that counts towards obtaining a higher status in the program. But for the sake of using your miles, they are immaterial. Your total account balance matters.

Miles can be used for free tickets, but not for "discounts". You need to have enough miles for a free ticket on the route you want to travel. The M&S website has the redemption grids.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Other than calling TK, use this site to start planning to get award ticket:

https://online.turkishairlines.com/i...oking/login.tk

Log in and see how many miles you need for a ticket. I disagree about award/bonus miles being immaterial (Of course, status miles are the most important part), they can be substantial if you make it to E/E+. For as low as 3750 miles, you can get an award/capacity-controlled one way domestic ticket. Obtainable with just one cross-continental trip in US with UA.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
How many miles do you have in your account?

If you don't have enough for award ticket it's sadly not possible to use them as a co-payment for a flight. Some airlines do offer this feature, but don't unfortunately.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:28 am
Original Poster

I can show you a screenshot of my account but where do I insert attachments here?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:31 am
Original Poster

At any rate, it says I have total miles of 16.455. But of interest is the fact that on the same route, it calculates different class categories (even though they were all economy class) and also different bonus and status miles. For the same journeys. I plan in the next few weeks to return on the same routes and probably again using Turkish Airlines, if it's the cheapest.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Which route are you flying? If it's a long haul route, your miles won't be sufficient for an award ticket. But they are enough for flying a shorter route, e.g turkish domestic or a one-way from Turkey to Europe. Also the earning varies depending on your booking class. Cheaper tickets earn less miles and vice versa.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:13 am
Original Poster

I have a total of 16,455 miles, according to the Miles and Smiles statement. It includes three trips to Chisinau, Moldova from Manchester, UK, going via Ataturk airport. I have earned 843 Status Miles on a "related" flight, it advises. What do I do with these and how please?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Here is the table showing how many miles you require for a free ticket with TK. The 16'455 miles are what matters - where you earned them and how many are "status" is irrelevant. Follow instructions on the Miles & Smiles website to redeem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.