Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Slightly OT: Meet the Turkish Airlines Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:36 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

On hurriyetdailynews:

Turkey’s flagship carrier Turkish Airlines (THY) is renovating two waterfront Ottoman houses to establish a seven-star hotel along the Bosphorus to host its most distinguished passengers as part of efforts to consolidate Istanbul’s position as a flight hub.

The luxury hotel located at Istanbul’s tourist attraction spot Ortaköy is planned to serve VIP customers when it is completed next year.

Do&Co, a catering company, 50 percent of which is owned by THY, rented Fehime Sultan Yalısı and
Hatice Sultan Yalısı – two waterfront houses, called “yalı” in Turkish – for 25 years in return for 125 million Turkish Liras....
Ugh, 7*, right
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
On hurriyetdailynews:

Ugh, 7*, right
Judging by the quality of the IST lounge, this may actually turn out to be true...

Shuly
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:32 am

And quoting from the article:
Customers who stay in the "sultan rooms," which will have all of the privileges of King Suites, will be transported to their hotels by boat from the airport.
This is something I would LOVE to experience.

Shuly
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:20 am

VIP = E+, right?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by cheesedawg
VIP = E+, right?
Of course.Who else ?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by cheesedawg
VIP = E+, right?
Would be amazing not have to wait two hours at the airport just to be send to a crappy 2-star hotel and have to wait another 2 hours for check-in. The last couple of times I have missed my onward connection at IST and have to stay until the next day, I have simply dropped the lousy TK hotel offering, taken a taxi to my favorite hotel and claimed the cost from my travel insurance.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by starflyergold

Ugh, 7*, right
I don't want to be judgmental, but Turks do not have what it takes to operate a "7 star hotel" (whatever that is). They might be able to build that hard product, but I highly doubt they are able to train the staff to the level needed for that kind of establishment.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aulrik
I don't want to be judgmental, but Turks do not have what it takes to operate a "7 star hotel" (whatever that is). They might be able to build that hard product, but I highly doubt they are able to train the staff to the level needed for that kind of establishment.
Hmm, I think that 10-15 years ago, that statement would have been more valid, but now Turkey is about to enter the world leader group both in the hard and soft hospitality product: TK itself, IST Lounge, TAV airport builders, Celebi ground handling, Do&Co catering, Club Reina, Türkbükü hotels (e.g. Macakizi), Rixos Hotels, ...

Hubris may be a problem, and difficulty to deal with mistakes / criticism.

But just the idea of such a special transit hotel via boat-shuttle on the Bosphorus is already worth much praise, IMO.

Last edited by LuxuryRogue; Jul 13, 2014 at 4:19 am Reason: added examples
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aulrik
Turks do not have what it takes to operate a "7 star hotel"

I highly doubt they are able to train the staff to the level needed for that kind of establishment.
these prove they do >
http://www.amanresorts.com/amanruya/home.aspx
http://www.fourseasons.com/bosphorus/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.