Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Would you pay $100 to upgrade 1h45m TGD-IST flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold

Hi

I've never flown TK before, but have an upcoming booking TGD-IST-JFK, with TGD-IST in Y and IST-JFK in Comfort. I'm looking forward to the experience, especially the catering (I do love my food, Turkish food especially).

Upgrade availability has now opened up for TGD-IST. Now I know it's a short flight in Euro style business class (A319), and Star Alliance upgrade awards are generally very poor value, however we happen to be in full fare Y, and I have just enough expired Aeroplan miles to cover it, which would otherwise probably go to waste. It will cost me $100 per person to reinstate the miles.

My question is: what would the meal service be like on that flight in J vs Y? The flight leaves at 2.25pm, so would there be a reasonable meal served or would it just be a snack? And is it meaningfully better than what would be served in Y?

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: TK Elite+
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Hi

I've never flown TK before, but have an upcoming booking TGD-IST-JFK, with TGD-IST in Y and IST-JFK in Comfort. I'm looking forward to the experience, especially the catering (I do love my food, Turkish food especially).

Upgrade availability has now opened up for TGD-IST. Now I know it's a short flight in Euro style business class (A319), and Star Alliance upgrade awards are generally very poor value, however we happen to be in full fare Y, and I have just enough expired Aeroplan miles to cover it, which would otherwise probably go to waste. It will cost me $100 per person to reinstate the miles.

My question is: what would the meal service be like on that flight in J vs Y? The flight leaves at 2.25pm, so would there be a reasonable meal served or would it just be a snack? And is it meaningfully better than what would be served in Y?

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions
Value is determined by your wallet and who you are, so its tough to say. I would definitely upgrade, 1h 45 min is not too short and TK will have a complete meal service there (starter -> main -> dessert) with drinks service too.

If you're lucky, you'll get nice business class seats and not intra-european ones.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Lounge access?

Yes if you get lounge access.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I am leaning toward opting to upgrade, as I hate the idea of my miles entirely going to waste... and I'm always a sucker for an upgrade.

I can't imagine the lounges in Podgorica are up to much, however, or whether TK shells out for a contract lounge for J or just *G pax in Y.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:27 am
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
I think 100$ is not bad offer, if you want to try TK business service. It is not very good that your flight is operated by A319 not A321.TK new A321 business class is pretty nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.