Search

through checking from lgw on separate tix

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2014, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS, CO, BA
through checking from lgw on separate tix

Hello!

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - i did a search but didnt come up with an answer.

I have read that in the past that if you ask TK to through check your baggage on 2 separate tickets from the UK they will charge you APD. Is this still the case?

I have a forthcoming trip LGW - IST and then IST - KUL on 2 separate tickets in business class and just want to be prepared for the response at the airport when I ask them to check my baggage all the way through!

Thanks
Old May 11, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Yes. That was certainly my experience in the past but admittedly it was some years ago now.

I would suggest asking for your luggage to be through checked but then obviously cancel the request if they start murmuring about additional APD to be paid.. (my hunch is that individual staff have a lot of leeway when it comes to this and particularly at LGW with much less scheduled traffic they might not even be aware of this issue..)

Not sure of your connection time in IST but If you cant through check at LGW then on arrival at IST present yourself at the transit counter (ie, before passing through security and going upstairs to departures) and just ask to have your bag retrieved and forwarded to the next flight. I didnt need to pass through arrivals, collect myself and re-check..
Old May 12, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Thats great advice, thanks for the tip.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Please let us know how it goes. I'll be in a similar situation (YYZ-IST and then IST-ZRH on separate TK tickets) in a few weeks. And I'll have a bag.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by barnstaple
Hello!

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - i did a search but didnt come up with an answer.

I have read that in the past that if you ask TK to through check your baggage on 2 separate tickets from the UK they will charge you APD. Is this still the case?

I have a forthcoming trip LGW - IST and then IST - KUL on 2 separate tickets in business class and just want to be prepared for the response at the airport when I ask them to check my baggage all the way through!

Thanks

In my experience with TK at LGW, they will DEF ask you for the additional tax.
Old May 16, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Is turkish airlines the only airline that does this? Never come across it before...
Old May 16, 2014, 9:49 pm

Is turkish airlines the only airline that does this? Never come across it before...
It was the first time it had happened to me and I was a bit surprised. Apparently TK are quite hot on this one out of the UK - think it's something to do with ADP. They certainly haven't done this to me out of any other airport. It seems to me that they're either following the UK ADP rules to the letter of the law or they want to dissuade passengers travelling on separate tix (which can be quite a saving to the pax but a loss of revenue to TK). Whichever it is, it's v annoying and inconvenient.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Poo! Meanies!

Am I right in my calculations that they will charge 194 which should be applied to LON to KUL in business less the 26 I have actually paid for LON to IST so I should have 168 per person at the ready?
Old May 17, 2014, 9:48 am

Poo! Meanies!

Am I right in my calculations that they will charge 194 which should be applied to LON to KUL in business less the 26 I have actually paid for LON to IST so I should have 168 per person at the ready?
They'll calculate what the tax should have been if you had bought LON/IST/KUL in Business class on one ticket and then take off what you've already paid. Haven't done the actual sums though so I'll take your calcs. If you have time in IST, why don't you pick up your bags and re-check. It will save you quite a bit of cash. You'll prob need a visa for IST though which you can do in 2 minutes online for $20. It's what I did. I wasn't prepared to line the UK government's pockets any more than I had to.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmdsea

Not sure of your connection time in IST but If you cant through check at LGW then on arrival at IST present yourself at the transit counter (ie, before passing through security and going upstairs to departures) and just ask to have your bag retrieved and forwarded to the next flight. I didnt need to pass through arrivals, collect myself and re-check..
Would you say 2 1/4 hours would be sufficient to do this?
Old May 17, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
They'll calculate what the tax should have been if you had bought LON/IST/KUL in Business class on one ticket and then take off what you've already paid. Haven't done the actual sums though so I'll take your calcs. If you have time in IST, why don't you pick up your bags and re-check. It will save you quite a bit of cash. You'll prob need a visa for IST though which you can do in 2 minutes online for $20. It's what I did. I wasn't prepared to line the UK government's pockets any more than I had to.
I'm tempted - just a bit unsure if the 2 hrs 15 minutes I have is enough time to re-check.

I suppose as there are four of us I could just try and pool the baggage under one or two of us so it goes all the way through and then just collect boarding passes for the onward flight for the couple of people we have saved money on!
Old May 17, 2014, 10:03 am

Would you say 2 1/4 hours would be sufficient to do this?
Yes I would IF your bags don't take an age to come off the Gatwick flight. As a Business class passenger, you can use fastrak immigration at IST. Just exit into the arrivals hall, and either take the glass lift up to departures or the escalator. It's well signposted. You'll be in the check in area. TK have a dedicated check in area for J class but basically you can bag drop at any TK bag drop desk. Whatever you do, don't exit the terminal into the 'street' as it's a pain to get back in (x-rays, searches etc). AYOR though
Old May 17, 2014, 10:06 am

I'm tempted - just a bit unsure if the 2 hrs 15 minutes I have is enough time to re-check.

I suppose as there are four of us I could just try and pool the baggage under one or two of us so it goes all the way through and then just collect boarding passes for the onward flight for the couple of people we have saved money on!
That's not a bad idea. ^
Old May 17, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by airoli
Please let us know how it goes. I'll be in a similar situation (YYZ-IST and then IST-ZRH on separate TK tickets) in a few weeks. And I'll have a bag.
I think this is mainly a UK problem due to the APD being calculated by actual origin and destination of the bags and dependent on class of travel and distance. It's a pain in the a@@ and can work out VERY expensive for UK originating flights. As long as your bag(s) are not over the ISTZRH allowance (which is 'weight'), you should be ok. TK don't restrict you to 1 bag.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea
Yes. That was certainly my experience in the past but admittedly it was some years ago now.

I would suggest asking for your luggage to be through checked but then obviously cancel the request if they start murmuring about additional APD to be paid.. (my hunch is that individual staff have a lot of leeway when it comes to this and particularly at LGW with much less scheduled traffic they might not even be aware of this issue..)

I did this in the past. My bag arrived 6 days later!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.