Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Why TK fares found on ITA Matrix are often unbookable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why TK fares found on ITA Matrix are often unbookable?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:19 pm

Sounds like I should not even bother to look at ITA...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by G_G
+1

I don't know where ITA is looking for booking classes availability but most of the time it's wrong
Originally Posted by flieder
Sounds like I should not even bother to look at ITA...
I'm not sure "most of the time" is quite fair. ITA doesn't load availability in real time but I've often found the pricing/availability to be spot on.

The problem I have most often occurs when I'm shopping several places to find the best fare. In some cases you need to go all the way through to pricing to see the final cost, and by that time seats can be pulled out of inventory. Do this enough times and you've gobbled up all the seats. Happened to me recently looking for a UA fare for a far out flight that disappeared halfway through my search process. I know the odds of a whole bunch of seats being purchased in a short amount of time for flights months away I was mystified. I took a deep breath, logged out of everything, cleared my cache, waited a few minutes and the seats were again available when I went back in.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:03 pm

ITA Matrix is awful for TK. I was trying to book a TK flight earlier this year and was searching availability via ITA. At best, it would be $100 lower and at worst it would be several hundred lower on ITA.

When I asked my TA (Amex) about it, she said that this is a problem on certain airlines, usually smaller ones that don't update their availability as frequently. Apparently, she's seen it before on TK.

I know I've always gotten the exact same pricing on AA, DL, UA, BA, AF, etc and ITA Matrix, so I tend to wonder if she's right. Or maybe just TK's computer system is less advanced?

Unrelated, but flying TK for the first time in 14 years next month. Very much hoping that the supposedly excellent onboard product makes up for the terrible IT and strange/extremely restrictive change policies.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:58 am

[QUOTE=Unrelated, but flying TK for the first time in 14 years next month. Very much hoping that the supposedly excellent onboard product makes up for the terrible IT and strange/extremely restrictive change policies.[/QUOTE]

It's one of best airlines you can fly in my opinion. The service, the aircraft, the food... I prefer TK over all airlines that operates from the US. Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:37 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by aa4ever
ITA Matrix is awful for TK. I was trying to book a TK flight earlier this year and was searching availability via ITA. At best, it would be $100 lower and at worst it would be several hundred lower on ITA.

When I asked my TA (Amex) about it, she said that this is a problem on certain airlines, usually smaller ones that don't update their availability as frequently. Apparently, she's seen it before on TK.

I know I've always gotten the exact same pricing on AA, DL, UA, BA, AF, etc and ITA Matrix, so I tend to wonder if she's right. Or maybe just TK's computer system is less advanced?

Unrelated, but flying TK for the first time in 14 years next month. Very much hoping that the supposedly excellent onboard product makes up for the terrible IT and strange/extremely restrictive change policies.
IMO it's a ITA software issue because TK's availability is the same as KVS tool's
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by flieder
I found a cheap fare on Turkish Airlines on ITA software. But it's not on the Turkish Airlines website, for the exact day and time. Orbitz also shows it available until I click, then it says the fare is no longer available. I keep trying but both ITA and TK/Orbitz websites are giving me the same results. Does that mean ITA software is showing a fare that is not really available? The fare classes are Q and M. Can anyone help me understand this please?

Note that this is a direct flight from LAX to IST.
I found ITA to consistently show J class availability on TK flights that didn't have such seats available. This is also a problem with Orbitz, whose engine uses ITA technology: you see a great fare, go on to book it and find out it's suddenly unavailable. Only it wasn't there in the first place.

Shuly
Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:55 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by shuly
I found ITA to consistently show J class availability on TK flights that didn't have such seats available.
Originally Posted by G_G
IMO it's a ITA software issue because TK's availability is the same as KVS tool's
Indeed, ITA has known issues with TK Availability.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:15 am

any ota that sells tk at ita prices

I was wondering if anyone knows of an OTA that actually prices out tickets to match what ITA matrix finds.

Generally when I actually go to book the ticket, it tends to be $2-300 more than what ITA finds.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by skhoslaTO
I was wondering if anyone knows of an OTA that actually prices out tickets to match what ITA matrix finds.

Generally when I actually go to book the ticket, it tends to be $2-300 more than what ITA finds.
ITA does not have its own fares; it pulls TKs fares. But for some reason it has problems verifying the availability of certain booking classes on TK. In other words, ITA thinks that certain fares are available when in fact they aren't. No other entity will be able to sell those tickets to you, because they do not exist. This has been discussed here in the past, try the search facility.

Shuly
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Wirelessly posted (Galaxy S3: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; Nexus 5 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/32.0.1700.99 Mobile Safari/537.36)

ITASoftware shows this itinerary but I've not found this bookable anywhere. Could any one please help? Thanks in advance for trying!

Tue, Dec 16
Chicago (ORD) to Mumbai (BOM)

Chicago (ORD) to Istanbul (IST)
10:00p - 4:45p (Dec 17) 10h 45m
Turkish Airlines Inc. flight 6 Airbus A330
Economy Meal

Layover in Istanbul 2h 50m

Istanbul (IST) to Mumbai (BOM)
7:35p - 5:10a (Dec 18) 6h 5m
Turkish Airlines Inc. flight 720 Airbus A330
Economy Meal

-------
Mon, Jan 19
Mumbai (BOM) to Chicago (ORD)

Mumbai (BOM) to Istanbul (IST)
6:40a - 10:40a 7h 30m
Turkish Airlines Inc. flight 721 Airbus A330
Economy Meal

Layover in Istanbul 3h 0m

Istanbul (IST) to Chicago (ORD)
1:40p - 5:50p 12h 10m
Turkish Airlines Inc. flight 5 Airbus A330
Economy Meal

-------
Passengers
one adult

-------
Pricing Summary

Cost per passenger: $895.07
for one adult

Total airfare and taxes: $895.07

-------
Pricing Details

Fare 1: $199.50
Carrier TK VLV3XPC CHI→BOM
Passenger type ADT
ROUND-TRIP fare
Booking code V covers:
ORD-IST
IST-BOM

Fare 2: $149.50
Carrier TK PLV3XPC CHI←BOM
Passenger type ADT
ROUND-TRIP fare
Booking code P covers:
BOM-IST
IST-ORD

Indian Development Fee (YM): $10.70
Indian Passenger Service Fee (WO): $3.65
Indian User Development Fee (IN): $11.42
TK YR surcharge (YR): $266.00
TK YR surcharge (YR): $181.20
Turkish Int'l Airport Service Charge (TR): $13.60
US Customs Fee (YC): $5.50
US Immigration Fee (XY): $7.00
US International Arrival Tax (US): $17.50
US International Departure Tax (US): $17.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF): $4.50
US September 11th Security Fee (AY): $2.50
USDA APHIS Fee (XA): $5.00

Total: $895.07

This ticket is non-refundable.
Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.

Fare construction (can be useful to travel agents)
CHI TK X/IST TK BOM 199.50VLV3XPC TK X/IST TK CHI 149.50PLV3XPC NUC 349.00 END ROE 1.00 XT 5.50YC 7.00XY 5.00XA 35.00US 2.50AY 13.60TR 11.42IN 3.65WO 10.70YM 447.20YR 4.50XF ORD4.50
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
It is well known and has been posted many many times over here that ITA Matrix is not in sync regarding inventory for TK. You can try with a travel agent, but most likely it will fail. The inventory ITA Matrix uses is not real-time data.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:27 pm
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
Your dates are way too far out but amextravel.com will mirror the TK fares you see on ITA.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by johhenrik
It is well known and has been posted many many times over here that ITA Matrix is not in sync regarding inventory for TK. You can try with a travel agent, but most likely it will fail. The inventory ITA Matrix uses is not real-time data.
TK DO NOT UPDATE THEIR FARES,THAT IS WHY. BCS TK DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR COSTOMERS. That is why they do not update.
And,I am not saying that TK is so horible,TK is cheap,only today I have booked OSL-EZE for almost half of what Wold have had to With anybody else,I am a sort of old guy,20 years ago Aeroflot was cheap,now TK is cheap. Same thing,capis.

Last edited by geirfugl; Feb 11, 2014 at 9:27 pm
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by geirfugl
TK DO NOT UPDATE THEIR FARES,THAT IS WHY. BCS TK DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR COSTOMERS. That is why they do not update.
And,I am not saying that TK is so horible,TK is cheap,only today I have booked OSL-EZE for almost half of what Wold have had to With anybody else,I am a sort of old guy,20 years ago Aeroflot was cheap,now TK is cheap. Same thing,capis.
Aeroflot is still cheap.

Regarding TK: As long as they continue using their old Troya system, it will be like this. The booking engine is bit jurassic... But hey, their new hardware is good, so long haul on these are very nice I think.
Old May 7, 2014, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Where to buy TK tickets found on ITA Matrix

I saw some good deal for TK fares on ITA Matrix, but somehow they are not on Expedia/Thy.com - is there a chance that I can contact TK ticket office to buy them?

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.