Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
None.
If I'm flying Turkish Airlines on a mileage ticket with United Airlines (using United Miles) would I be able to use any of these benefits?

I'm not sure how you can put in a frequent flyer number of another airline (i.e. Turkish Air) when you're using miles from United.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by kayexalate
If I'm flying Turkish Airlines on a mileage ticket with United Airlines (using United Miles) would I be able to use any of these benefits?

I'm not sure how you can put in a frequent flyer number of another airline (i.e. Turkish Air) when you're using miles from United.
I'm not sure which benefits you are referring to but you can use lounges by showing an elite or elite plus card. You won't get miles on a reward ticket.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:27 am

Hi,
Tried using the search to find this. I have a return ticket RIX-KUL with a layover in IST. The return date is in about 6 weeks but due to unexpected accident at home I would really need to go back sooner. Is it possible to go to the airport with the ticket and get a standby weeks in advance ? Any advice on how to work this ? Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by bbnorellen
Hi,
Tried using the search to find this. I have a return ticket RIX-KUL with a layover in IST. The return date is in about 6 weeks but due to unexpected accident at home I would really need to go back sooner. Is it possible to go to the airport with the ticket and get a standby weeks in advance ? Any advice on how to work this ? Thanks!
Welcome to FT!

Here's how I would do if I'm in your situation:

Do you have travel insurance? Talk to them if you have one.

If not, contact TK (call centre and the local office) and explain your situation. Sometimes they let you change for free if you are in emergency situation.

If it doesn't work, and the airport is within reasonable reach. I'd talk to the check-in agent there if they can help.

If nothing works, the best is either:

1. You buy a return flight ex RIX/KUL so you can go again - use it as mileage run

2. Buy a single ticket to go back and forget about the return journey and try to get tax refunded from TK.

I hope you can have the ticket changed. Please report back with your results!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:19 am

TK airline Extending stay, no seats available except First class.

Hi, new to the forum and first flight to Europe.

I booked a flight in Sept through Orbitz for a multi city flight. The airline is Turkish air and the flight Departs from JFK to Munich and Zurich to JFK. Unfortunately I need to extend my stay and nothing become available at this moment except for business class which is not in the budget.

Is there anything I can do, Orbitz will give me a refund but tack on another $1000 in fees and fare differences.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should have researched more before buying the cheapest ticket on Orbitz, really kicking myself right now.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alfa72
Hi, new to the forum and first flight to Europe.

I booked a flight in Sept through Orbitz for a multi city flight. The airline is Turkish air and the flight Departs from JFK to Munich and Zurich to JFK. Unfortunately I need to extend my stay and nothing become available at this moment except for business class which is not in the budget.

Is there anything I can do, Orbitz will give me a refund but tack on another $1000 in fees and fare differences.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should have researched more before buying the cheapest ticket on Orbitz, really kicking myself right now.

Have you tried contacting TK? I don't know about the rule when you buy tickets from Orbitz but each ticket does have it's own rule. You might want to have a look and see if it's possible to change date.

A lot of TK flights are changeable with a EUR 50 fee plus whatever you need to get to the other booking class. Since you are not leaving yet you might have a chance of finding a fare that is similar to yours.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold
I'm not sure which benefits you are referring to but you can use lounges by showing an elite or elite plus card. You won't get miles on a reward ticket.
I'm talking about economy plus seating. And other perks like extra baggage, earlier boarding (printed on your ticket) etc. even when I enter my TK elite number on my travel profile on a UA award ticket it doesn't give me any better choice of seats. Again I'm using UA miles not TK miles
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
I'm talking about economy plus seating. And other perks like extra baggage, earlier boarding (printed on your ticket) etc. even when I enter my TK elite number on my travel profile on a UA award ticket it doesn't give me any better choice of seats. Again I'm using UA miles not TK miles
Unless you have UA status, you cannot get Economy Plus seating on UA flights. Some gate agents may be generous, but do not count on it. You will not get any better choice of seats either.

You will have nothing more than lounge access and excess luggage and priority boarding/check-in with TK Gold on a UA flight with UA miles. If you want UA perks, then you need UA Gold status (not TK Gold status)
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by iamaho
Unless you have UA status, you cannot get Economy Plus seating on UA flights. Some gate agents may be generous, but do not count on it. You will not get any better choice of seats either.

You will have nothing more than lounge access and excess luggage and priority boarding/check-in with TK Gold on a UA flight with UA miles. If you want UA perks, then you need UA Gold status (not TK Gold status)
Is that the same for US Air status? Someone else on another thread said they used the US Air status on a UA ticket issued with UA miles and was able to get Economy plus seating based upon their US AIr status.

Why wouldn't it be the same for TK?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Is that the same for US Air status? Someone else on another thread said they used the US Air status on a UA ticket issued with UA miles and was able to get Economy plus seating based upon their US AIr status.

Why wouldn't it be the same for TK?
They are incorrect. Other than UA Mileage Plus Elite status, their perks are not available to you as a Star Alliance Gold member. Only Star Alliance Gold benefits apply.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/
Old Jun 28, 2013, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Grateful if everyone could ask questions and receive answers in the helpful manner this thread requires.

starflyergold
Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles forum moderator
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Have you tried contacting TK? I don't know about the rule when you buy tickets from Orbitz but each ticket does have it's own rule. You might want to have a look and see if it's possible to change date.

A lot of TK flights are changeable with a EUR 50 fee plus whatever you need to get to the other booking class. Since you are not leaving yet you might have a chance of finding a fare that is similar to yours.
I had no luck calling in, so I personally went into the TK sales branch. The price to change was roughly $500(2 ppl) to change a flight within the same class, this included all fee's and taxes. Prices seems very high.

Last edited by Alfa72; Jul 1, 2013 at 11:02 am
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alfa72
I had no luck calling in, so I personally went into the TK sales branch. The price to change was roughly $500(2 ppl) to change a flight within the same class, this included all fee's and taxes. Prices seems very high.
If it's EUR 50/leg then 4 legs is roughly EUR 200, which is definitely less than $500. There shouldn't be taxes for those fees, plus you have already paid all the taxes.

However if it's the only choice, then it might be cheaper if you don't want to take an extra trip. Of course another possibility is that a cheaper booking class appears at some time then you might even be able change it for free.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:43 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
LH/UA P fares

P is a relatively new discount business class fare offered by LH and UA (and other Star carriers like OS).

The Miles&Smiles site shows a P fare on a LH flight as earning zero miles, while a P fare on a UA flight as 150% miles -- in fact, it's grouped with F/A first-class fares.

Can this be right? Is the web site wrong? P fares seem interchangeable on many LH/UA itineraries. I bought a P ticket from UA IST-SFO saw a mix of UA- and LH-operated segments. I ended up getting an itinerary with both trans-Atlantic segments operated by LH. I would prefer to credit these to TK than to UA if I got 150% miles, but of course won't do that based on what the web site says now. Unfortunately my traveling companion only has a TK card.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by mecabq
P is a relatively new discount business class fare offered by LH and UA (and other Star carriers like OS).

The Miles&Smiles site shows a P fare on a LH flight as earning zero miles, while a P fare on a UA flight as 150% miles -- in fact, it's grouped with F/A first-class fares.
what the web site says now. Unfortunately my traveling companion only has a TK card.
P fare on LX will earn you 150% as well.I don't get it why the LH P isn't
eligible any more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.