Wiki Posts
Search

Turkish Canceled My Flight, Now What?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Turkish Canceled My Flight, Now What?

Was checking my itinerary for this Friday today for tickets purchased on Expedia.com (I know, I know). Anyway, it appears that as of yesterday Turkish airlines cancelled our flight from SIN to CGK. It APPEARS from the itinerary both on Expedia and Turkish's sites that we were protected on Singapore. However, they have listed TWO flights in each direction. Singapore's site will not pull the confirmations for us.

I have been on the phone with Expedia, then Turkish, now Expedia again for hours trying to figure this out. Turkish is saying that they cannot "protect" us on the Singapore flight (not sure which one) and want us to take a flight the day before. They also generously offered to refund our flight (so I can rebook for like 3 times as much as was originally paid, as it would be a last minute booking). Now talking with a "supervisor" who says, the Turkish flight has not been cancelled??

I checked Expert Flyer and the Singapore flights are wide open. What sort of redress do I have here?

Thanks

Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

According to TK airlines contract of carriage they can:

10. 2. 1 carry the passenger on another of its scheduled passenger services on which space is available; or

10. 2. 2 reroute the passenger to the destination indicated on the ticket or aplicable portion thereof by its own scheduled services of another carrier, or by means of surface transportation. If the sum of the fare, excess baggage charge and any applicable service charge for the revised routing is higher than the refund value of the ticket or applicable portion thereof, Carrier shall require no additional fare or charge from the passenger, and shall refund the difference if the fares and charges for the revised routing are lower; or

10. 2. 3 make a refund accordance with the provisions of Article 11;

and shall be under no further liability to the passenger.

I am not being told by Expedia that Turkish is refusing to protect us on another carrier. Wouldn't condition 10.2.2 apply?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

After close to 4 hours on the phone with Expedia, finally confirmed on SQ.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Couple of learnings from this experience:
  1. With Expedia, you can keep escalating to a Supervisor until you get an American (it took me 4 escalations and several hours).
  2. Turkish Airlines ended up rebooking us in FULL Y on Singapore for a total cost of over $3000. I found that strange since I could book a ticket on SQ using a dummy booking for under $450 per person a.i.
  3. Over to SQ site to see if I can upgrade
  4. Too bad I am a skyteam flyer and don't have Star Alliance miles
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
All *A airlines give each other reduced rates on full Y, so it was probably relatively cheap for TK, if they did buy the ticket.

That said, it is the responsibility to your agent (in this case Expedia) to deal with rebooking you before you check in. So calling TK would be utterly useless - you need to call expedia.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Cellisttoo
After close to 4 hours on the phone with Expedia, finally confirmed on SQ.
I'm sure SQ boys and girls will make you feel a lot better on the flight.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
I'm sure SQ boys and girls will make you feel a lot better on the flight.
Right indeed, we had great flights. Topped off with Toddler Cellisttoo receiving her own set of REAL SQ wings when her log book was returned from the cockpit.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
TK for some reason gave up the 5th freedom rights for SIN-CGK-SIN recently, or so I was told by the station manager.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
That said, it is the responsibility to your agent (in this case Expedia) to deal with rebooking you before you check in. So calling TK would be utterly useless - you need to call expedia.
You can try expedia if you like. If status with TK, escalate up to somebody on the Elite/ELPL line and it will be much less painful. Try a few times if it doesn't work as usual.

I have given up on these agencies for any help. One even suggested me "try to get some helpful CX agent as we charge 60euros extra on top of the change fee"... No go with CX LHR/FRA, 2 minutes with CX MNL (where the tkt originated) and the agency fee saved. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.