Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Does this mean that TK is opening IST-MNL ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

There have been buzzz before that TK would open MNL to their expanding route-list, this seems one step closer now:

Turkey and the Philippines signed an aviation agreement

Turkey's Directorate General of Civil Aviation said in a statement, "during the talks presided by Turkish Deputy Director General for Civil Aviation Bahri Kesici and Philippines Ministry of Transportation & Communication Undersecretary Doroteo Reyes, the parties agreed to increase number of airline companies flying between the two countries and number of destinations. Accordingly, scheduled flights will be held from Turkey to Manila, Clark and another city to be chosen later in the Philippines. Also, scheduled flights will be held from the Philippines to Istanbul, Ankara and to a third Turkish city to be made public soon. Under the agreement, Turkey and the Philippines will hold three cargo flights from Istanbul to Manila and from Manila to Istanbul for threes times in a week, the statement added. Earlier this year, Turkey signed a similar agreement with Australia. Turkey have signed aviation agreements with 107 countries on the bilateral level so far.

Source: http://www.worldbulletin.net/index.p...rticleID=54891

Any comments/ideas? What would the AC be? Direct or indirect? Maybe via HKG making it 2xdaily and opening a new *A direct route between HKG-MNL?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
My money is on a nonstop 77W.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Yes - i think also that is non-stop but wonder if it's a340 or 77W.. Hopefully 77W. They are close receiving TC-JJM which is their newest addition to their own 77W fleet. Hopefully more news soon!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:56 am
soy

Programs: various
Just speculation, but perhaps they would make MNL a tag to the SIN flight. Then use a 77W for IST-CGK-SYD
Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:26 pm

That's old news already Anyway they are problems in the implementation of it.
E. g. Turkish was thinking of the Istanbul - Bangkok - Manila route. But because they don't have (cant get?) the rights to carry passengers on the Bangkok - Manila leg too they skipped the route plan altogether. Turkish was not able to get the 5th freedom right traffic between Bangkok and Manila last year.
Hope Turkish will find another solution because Manila is "in" their plans.

Maybe (given the permit) something like Istanbul - Taipei - Manila - Istanbul can work...

Last edited by Topolino; Mar 20, 2011 at 5:41 pm
Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:41 pm

E. g. Turkish was thinking of the Istanbul - Bangkok - Manila route. But because they don't have (cant get?) the rights to carry passengers on the Bangkok - Manila leg too they skipped all the route plan.
Hope thay find another solution.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Maybe it's because Thai already flies BKK-MNL route. I strongly believe that it's going to be nonstop and in my opinion if it's not - the best option would be IST-HKG-MNL. There is no *A carrier at the moment which flies directly between HKG and MNL. Maybe making the IST-HKG 2x daily(or 3-5x weekly like SGN now).
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:45 am
tcm

Originally Posted by Topolino
E. g. Turkish was thinking of the Istanbul - Bangkok - Manila route. But because they don't have (cant get?) the rights to carry passengers on the Bangkok - Manila leg too they skipped the route plan altogether. Turkish was not able to get the 5th freedom right traffic between Bangkok and Manila last year.
Hope Turkish will find another solution because Manila is "in" their plans.

Maybe (given the permit) something like Istanbul - Taipei - Manila - Istanbul can work...
MNL has been a target destination for quite a while. It was mentioned by TK management for over a year. The key here is the 5th freedom traffic rights as you point out. There is talk that TK will add KUL to it's SIN flights and maybe extend CGK to SYD. It looks like MNL will get a non-stop schedule. I haven't heard TPE mentioned yet. TK is seriously eyeing the lucrative Kangaroo route. Let's see what happens. By the way EZE is also the most likely S.American destination, TK is all over the place. Globally yours
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by tcm
MNL has been a target destination for quite a while. It was mentioned by TK management for over a year. The key here is the 5th freedom traffic rights as you point out. There is talk that TK will add KUL to it's SIN flights and maybe extend CGK to SYD. It looks like MNL will get a non-stop schedule. I haven't heard TPE mentioned yet. TK is seriously eyeing the lucrative Kangaroo route. Let's see what happens. By the way EZE is also the most likely S.American destination, TK is all over the place. Globally yours
As far as SIN-SYD, I think they would possibly look towards IST-(not SIN)-SYD as there's already extensive *A presence by SQ in addition to QF and BA. I think TK would look towards another Southeast Asian city to capture 2 new markets at once.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:12 am
tcm

Originally Posted by ande777emt
As far as SIN-SYD, I think they would possibly look towards IST-(not SIN)-SYD as there's already extensive *A presence by SQ in addition to QF and BA. I think TK would look towards another Southeast Asian city to capture 2 new markets at once.
add KUL to it's SIN flights and maybe extend CGK to SYD.
@:-)
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:20 am
Original Poster

KL is stopping their direct AMS-MNL flights!

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/i...11/november/11

TK should have opened this route already!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
Not happy with this news. Its TK's chance now
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I have 3 upcoming J flights to MNL, would love it if TK steps in before April 2012. I know though that this has very little chances, they don't even have a code-share from HKG at the moment...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.