Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

How easy is it to use miles for Domestic USA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Hello, I'm flying just over 40,000 miles with Turkeish airlines in the next 8 months, 10,000 this year and the rest between feb & june next year. This is my first time flying with them. I live in the states & normally fly united, but they changed their policy and now it takes 4 United flight to get premier status for 2012, so I won't qualify as I only use them for free reward flights.

if I choose to get Turkish miles so I can get turkish "elite" status. From my undrestanding you only need 40,000 miles within the last 12 months, not calender year, how difficult will it be to use those miles to book domestic flights in the states?

Also, would Turkish elite status allow me to get free bags when flying on a United flight either domestic or international?

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:53 pm

So Classic Plus level (25k miles) earns you Star Silver Level. 40k miles (Elite) gets you Star Gold. Look up the Star Silver & Star Gold benefits on the Star Airline you'd like to travel on (United) to see your applicable free baggage allowance, etc.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hellyea
So Classic Plus level (25k miles) earns you Star Silver Level. 40k miles (Elite) gets you Star Gold. Look up the Star Silver & Star Gold benefits on the Star Airline you'd like to travel on (United) to see your applicable free baggage allowance, etc.
So if I get Elite status on Turkish Airlines, I would have Star Gold any time I fly domestically on United Airlines or a partner in the states and would have access to free luggage and use of international lounges, etc?

I ask this because it seems Turkish Airlines is much easier to earn Elite status than Star Gold because you can do it within 12 months rather than within the calendar year.

Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:17 am

Yes. In fact, 40k miles is nothing to get Star Gold!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: milesandsmiles elite+
with TK elite you should qualify for the increased baggage allowance and basic upgrades to E+ on UA...at least whenever I fly UA I get the added benefits.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Any ideas how difficult it is to book United flights on domestic flights within the United States with Miles on Turkish Air? From what I read it seems you have to actually go in to the airport to do it. Is that true? Is their availability of 25,000 mile flights the same that you would get with United Miles? Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by accrapolo
with TK elite you should qualify for the increased baggage allowance and basic upgrades to E+ on UA...at least whenever I fly UA I get the added benefits.
no you do not get upgrades to E+ on UA with gold status.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by why fly
no you do not get upgrades to E+ on UA with gold status.
I'm Sorry, can you clarify? If I get Elite plus status with Turkish Airlines, when I fly on a United Airlines flight domestically in the United States, would I qualify for the star Gold benifits of extra luggage & lounge access, etc?

Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by 77ja77
I'm Sorry, can you clarify? If I get Elite plus status with Turkish Airlines, when I fly on a United Airlines flight domestically in the United States, would I qualify for the star Gold benifits of extra luggage & lounge access, etc?

Thanks.
yes you get more baggage lounge etc, but not E+ seats.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: milesandsmiles elite+
Every time I fly UA, they recognize my TK status and assign me E+...even if I book discount fares...always E+ when flying economy...maybe just my luck.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by accrapolo
Every time I fly UA, they recognize my TK status and assign me E+...even if I book discount fares...always E+ when flying economy...maybe just my luck.
Thanks, Would it work the same with just Elite status rather than elite plus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.