Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
Hello,

I will be a first time TK E+ this year and I have two questions regarding the TK E+ upgrade vouchers:

1) Does anyone have any experience using their E+ upgrade voucher on a TK ticket (ie. 235-) that includes an interline connection?
Example: YOW-YUL-IST-SIN (using AC-TK-TK) or JFK-IST-JNB-DUR (using TK-TK-SA), where the ticket is issued by TK and one is trying to upgrade the TK-TK portions (only) of the trip?

2) Follow on posts by LH4116, has anyone actually successfully upgraded an economy class ticket where there has been J bucket availability, but NO published J fare on the routing?
Example: Currently, using Expert Flyer, one can find J2 on ATL-IST-JNB on some days; however, there is NO current published J fare on this route. The lowest published fare is KV3BX. This means while you can find J2 on Expert Flyer, one cannot book a J fare on TK. Will the E+ upgrade work in such a situation?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
Hello,

I will be a first time TK E+ this year and I have two questions regarding the TK E+ upgrade vouchers:

1) Does anyone have any experience using their E+ upgrade voucher on a TK ticket (ie. 235-) that includes an interline connection?
Example: YOW-YUL-IST-SIN (using AC-TK-TK) or JFK-IST-JNB-DUR (using TK-TK-SA), where the ticket is issued by TK and one is trying to upgrade the TK-TK portions (only) of the trip?

2) Follow on posts by LH4116, has anyone actually successfully upgraded an economy class ticket where there has been J bucket availability, but NO published J fare on the routing?
Example: Currently, using Expert Flyer, one can find J2 on ATL-IST-JNB on some days; however, there is NO current published J fare on this route. The lowest published fare is KV3BX. This means while you can find J2 on Expert Flyer, one cannot book a J fare on TK. Will the E+ upgrade work in such a situation?
1 ) The free E+ upgrades are only valid on TK metal.

2 ) To be absolutely sure,make a reservation for your desired flight in Y,call the TK E+ hotline and ask. If yes ,book the flight and give them the your booking code or ETIX number.

If no,try with other dates if possible.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
There's been some misinformation here. Fares and availability are two separate things. You need J-class (or whichever it is) availability on your flights, forget if there is a fare or not in J-class - they are not upgrading your fare.

Last edited by Gnopps; Jan 14, 2018 at 1:01 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Gnopps
There's been some misinformation here. Fares and availability are two separate things. You need J-class (or whichever it is) availability on your flights, forget if there is a fare or not in J-class - they are not upgrading your fare.
Unless the folks at IST approves the overrides, I can confirm this.

I've seen the ticketing office processing upgrades by booking with both J and revenue Y fare (can be any combination), without both the upgrades can not be processed.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by vincewy
Unless the folks at IST approves the overrides, I can confirm this.

I've seen the ticketing office processing upgrades by booking with both J and revenue Y fare (can be any combination), without both the upgrades can not be processed.
These sentences I cannot translate. Could you rephrase? Thanks

And just a data point. I last week got upgraded from cheapo eco to J with vouchers (finally, after problems), while I could see no J inventory available, lowest biz available was K
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
I've booked an economy ticket from Stockholm to Singapore and back from Hong Kong and was able to upgrade using the voucher. The agent was very strict with the name as I did not include my middle name on my booking (third party site) and was told it should be exactly the same as my name on my account. I was able to sort it out by requesting that they change my name on my TK account (removing the middle name as per my passport). Thanks for all the tips
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
For the 2nd time in as many years, I was able to use 2 eVouchers painlessly via the contact center to upgrade a round trip with 2 segments per direction. It almost feels like a "normal" process these days.

The successful approach seems to be picking Y class flights on THY.com, putting them on "pay later and fly", then calling to confirm upgrade space, pay for the ticket online while the agent holds, and have the same agent process the upgrade.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by airoli
The successful approach seems to be picking Y class flights on THY.com, putting them on "pay later and fly", then calling to confirm upgrade space, pay for the ticket online while the agent holds, and have the same agent process the upgrade.
You mean... like... how I outlined it in the wiki.

But, indeed, you can't really go wrong if you have the same agent that confirms upgrade space actually follow through with the upgrade.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Gnopps
It is often possible to obtain upgrades without there being J class availability. The conditions are: (1) you need to do the transaction at your local TK airport office; (2) there needs to be a TK member of staff (not agency) present with reasonable authority (preferably the duty manager); (3) you need to have a personal relationship with the TK staff (which comes from frequent contact through flying regularly with the airline). Normally, it takes only a short e-mail to be sent or a telephone call to Istanbul and a seat will be released after a short wait (provided that there is still reasonable availability in other business booking classes). If TK staff believe that you are a good customer, they will ofter go the extra mile to help you out.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by johnirvine
It is often possible to obtain upgrades without there being J class availability.
The same principles apply to X and I award tickets. I was able to get an I ticket while there was no availability.
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by flyerby

The same principles apply to X and I award tickets. I was able to get an I ticket while there was no availability.
Thanks for sharing this. So they open up award space case by case e.g. if you are Elite+ then you might have luck?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash
Thanks for sharing this. So they open up award space case by case e.g. if you are Elite+ then you might have luck?
In my case, it was more about the fact that I wanted to buy a J ticket and also get a companion award I ticket (which didn’t have availability).
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:46 pm

I want to upgrade using an E+ voucher but I’m not going to have one only in a couple of months.
Can I upgrade now with miles and when I get a voucher switch to the voucher and redeposit the miles back in to my account?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I want to upgrade using an E+ voucher but I’m not going to have one only in a couple of months.
Can I upgrade now with miles and when I get a voucher switch to the voucher and redeposit the miles back in to my account?
I know it’s relatively painless and not very expensive to cancel an award ticket and get miles redeposited, but I don’t know if an un-upgrade option even exists.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:27 am

I advice not to try that, you might regret.
I am currently fighting with the fact that I upgraded flights with vouchers, someone errouneously drew miles upgrade but then corrected to vouchers, but they have not redeposited the miles back and I must fight for that. TK customer service at best

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.