Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:19 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by drewguy
It does make sense - I suppose the question is still out there, however, which is may the parent heavily assist the child at the GE kiosk (including inserting the passport, helping the child place the hand in the correct place, checking the questions, etc.), so long as (of course) the child's passport is inserted and hand used.
infants can get GE... yes the parents assist. Both my children have it now and we always do it for them.

From the program's inception the policy was no piggybacks. Until they allowed under 14 to get their own GE, there were stories of agents letting a GE parent with a young child through at kiosk. Others not (stated policy was not to). OFten they would still give us front of the line if asked. It never hurts to ask.

But from the program's start it was one person, one dec, one kiosk. It is really not that difficult a concept I presume.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by TexasTea
GE card finally came yesterday, along with a convenient foil sleeve to stow it in when travelling. Apparently it's chipped, I was unaware of this initially.
When you use it at the Canada/US border, at properly equipped lanes at certain crossings there is an RFID reader that will read the card. The border agent will have your information on his screen when you pull up to him.

I understand these readers will be installed in non-NEXUS lanes too, although it won't be compulsory to use them - but you can wave your card at these as well to save a little time.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
When you use it at the Canada/US border, at properly equipped lanes at certain crossings there is an RFID reader that will read the card. The border agent will have your information on his screen when you pull up to him.
One can read about the RFID-equipped lanes in more detail here:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/rfid/rfid_how_to.html
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:09 am

Saw some people asking about time frame. I applied for GE on 8/17 and just saw in my GOES account that I can schedule an interview.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
I understand these readers will be installed in non-NEXUS lanes too, although it won't be compulsory to use them - but you can wave your card at these as well to save a little time.
I can speak for the Blaine Peace Arch crossing in Washington state....the RFID readers are at all lanes. I don't know that it makes much difference though in time savings if not everyone in the car is in a trusted traveler program.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:20 am

Programs: AA,UA SLV, SPG GLD,Hyatt GP Plat.,National Exec., Hertz Platinum
My Global Entry Experience

Let’s start off by answering what Global Entry is:

It expedites the process of standing in line for immigration when you enter the United States.
It expedites the process of security screening at domestic airports with the inclusion of TSA Pre Check.
It gives you a “Redress Number” that supposedly gives you better treatment at the airport.
How does Global Entry work?

Basically, when you land from an international flight, you proceed directly to the kiosks labeled “Global Entry” and swipe your passport. After swiping it, you answer a few questions on the screen, run your fingerprints, and take a picture. After that, you’re all set to go to baggage claim and proceed onwards. This program should save you about 15-20 at most airports and 30-1 hour at others!

How to apply?

You can apply for Global Entry on the Global Entry Site.

When you’re there, you have to create a “GOES” account and use that info to help apply for Global Entry

While applying, you will be asked a series of questions that pretty much ask about your travels.

After you go through the form, you’ll be prompted to pay and you can either choose A Credit or Bank Account

How much is it?

Global Entry costs $100 to apply for. The “trick” is to use a Platinum Card from American Express. If you sign up for the Platinum Card that has a $0 Annual Fee for the first year from Ameriprise, this will help you a lot! American Express offers to reimburse your application fee for Global Entry as long as you pay with the Card. Also, I confirmed with American Express that every “Authorized User” on your account will be reimbursed as well.

The Wait

I was kind of impatient and just paid the $100 fee on August 19th. Stupidly, I applied for the Platinum Amex on August 21st. Anyways, the application is supposed to be reviewed and they should get back to you with 2 weeks, but they got back to me by August 21st. It took them two days to conditionally approve me. They conditionally approve you, but that doesn’t mean you’re totally approved. (hence the conditionally)

The Interview

After approving you, an interview must be scheduled. Weirdly, there was only ONE day available for the next 2 months in Los Angeles and it happened to be August 22nd. For Los Angeles, the only interviewing location is at LAX in the Tom Bradley International terminal. I brought my passports and drivers license to the interview and was greeted by some friendly agents. Before taking the interview, they took my prints and picture. They then started to ask a barrage of questions. Be prepared to answer any questions about your business, where you work, where you live etc.. Don’t be alarmed if they ask you why you go to the same country all the time or why you went to a certain country. The best way to respond to these is with the truth. In my case, I was asked why I go to India and Bangladesh so much. I was a bit nervous because I didn’t want to be denied, but when he started laughing with me, I was fine. He then proceeded to approve me! After the interview, I noticed that the “Demo” machine wasn’t working and so he handed me a few cards explaining how to use the machine. I personally wont try this out till December unless I decide to go out of the country in the next few months. The machine is pretty straight forward and all it does is take pictures, scans your passport and prints, and asks you the questions you fill out on those dreadful blue customs forms. The CBP officer put a sticker on my passport explaining that if the machine was ever down, that I immediately CUT everyone in the line and go to a CBP officer. He was adamant about saying I had “Priority”.

Overall Thoughts

I applied for Global Entry because I wanted to get through security and immigration faster. I’m glad I did because even if I dont fly a lot, it’s nice to just have it. It’s even more lucrative when you dont have to pay for it like my dad whom I just applied for. When I use it, i’ll write another blog post on that!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:39 am

Very timely. I have my appointment in two weeks and you answered some of my questions. Surprised about the two day wait for conditional approval. I think mine came back in less than 10 minutes.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:05 am

there is a large thread in ts/s for global entry
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:04 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
And for more discussion, this thread will now move to the appropriate travel security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Nexus & GE & "companion application"

Just remember if you live in a US city that borders Canada you should apply for Nexus for only $50 & it includes GE as a bonus, instead of paying $100 for GE alone (makes no sense, but the government runs the programs).

On the AMEX Platinum reimbursement - they will reimburse any GE or Nexus application charge on your card (up to $200) AND the "other person(s)" do not have to be authorized users (this has been reported by me and others from personal experience).
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by tahsir21
Let’s start off by answering what Global Entry is:

It expedites the process of security screening at domestic airports with the inclusion of TSA Pre Check.
The link between GE and PreCheck is softer than your message implies. Under PreCheck, a risk score is calculated at the time of check in for each trip you take on a participating airline and through a participating airport. You won't know if you're eligible for PreCheck (ie, expedited screening) until your boarding pass is scanned at the airport. You also have to set up a PreCheck profile with each airline that is participating. Entering your GE number (instead of your airline loyalty number) in your profile will likely significantly improve your odds of getting PreCheck for any trip, but it won't guarantee it. You can have GE and never experience PreCheck if you fly from small (non-participating) airports or if you travel internationally (since international itineraries are generally* not eligible for PreCheck).

*some exceptions have been reported. YMMV.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by rubesl
Just remember if you live in a US city that borders Canada you should apply for Nexus for only $50 & it includes GE as a bonus, instead of paying $100 for GE alone (makes no sense, but the government runs the programs).

On the AMEX Platinum reimbursement - they will reimburse any GE or Nexus application charge on your card (up to $200) AND the "other person(s)" do not have to be authorized users (this has been reported by me and others from personal experience).
I thought it was 1 $100 reimbursement per card
Old Aug 23, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by thelark
I thought it was 1 $100 reimbursement per card
Yeah, I called and they said that all 3 authorized users under my account are eligible. I think they changed the rules or something because I just asked..
Old Aug 23, 2012, 2:46 pm

it would have been great because I'm about to sign my wife up (under her supplementary card) but will have to pay for my daughter.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 2:55 pm

Call up Amex and see what they can do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.