Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by YOW-DCA
I'm a Canadian citizen at an American university. Every year i'm at school I get issued a new I-20. Wish I'd gotten Nexus before I became a U.S. non-resident alien, because I guess then my Nexus would have just been good for 5 years. But instead now I have to go back to the Nexus office each year to give them my latest I-20 (no appointment needed at least). BUT, for the third year in a row, after submitting my new I-20 the Nexus kiosk promptly sent me to secondary inspection as I was trying to catch my U.S. bound flight!

I really can't emphasize how terrible it is being at secondary inspection at an airport, with a flight taking off in 20mins. You have no idea how long you'll be there. Thank god I haven't missed a flight yet, but 2x were close and by the time I got to the gate everyone had boarded.
Note that getting your Nexus before or after you started school would have made absolutely no difference. You have to update all of your documentation including visa's every time they change and they track this stuff, so if you cross the day after your last visa document, passport, etc. expires, you are automatically flagged.

Before you show up to get your student visa (which is done at the airport while clearing for Canadians), they know about you, since the school you are attending has to notify them beforehand. They even have to submit when you start your classes. So, had you had the Nexus before you were a student, and tried to clear using Nexus without providing your visa documentation, not only would you have been sent to secondary, but you were also at high risk for losing your Nexus priviliges altogether, for not updating your documentation beforehand.

I would suggest that if you notice a pattern of this happening, you should make sure you get to the airport a little bit earlier than you have been. If it were me, I would rather sit in the boarding area for an extra 20 minutes, then getting to the gate moments after the flight has closed, or having to worry about whether you would make it.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by B1
The machines were operating - just not for me. Would that count?
Yes. I used the crew line once when the machine ran out of paper to print the nexus receipt. I also use it when traveling with the kids who have nexus but are too young to use the machine.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by B1
The machines were operating - just not for me. Would that count?
Some people's irises cannot be scanned for whatever reason. These people get a special sticker placed on the backs of their Nexus cards and can use the crew counter or special services counter. Presumably yours were scanned successfully upon enrolment. If I were you I'd drop into the Nexus office and see how they can help you.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
I got picked for a secondary inspection in Toronto on August 22nd. Scary stuff! Took 45 minutes before everything was said and done.
picked by Canada or US for secondary?
I was informed when doing NEXUS to fill out a form each incase one gets called and the other doesn't. This is exactly opposite as to what was told to me when I got NEXUS.
If it was secondary by US customs, then you aren't married to them and need separate forms. Yes it sucks, but its how it is for now.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:02 am

I got picked for a secondary inspection in Toronto on August 22nd. Scary stuff! Took 45 minutes before everything was said and done.

Me and my Partner filled out one declation card since we're married. He did not get picked for secondary but I did. Well, when I got to secondary I got chewed out for filling out one form. I was informed when doing NEXUS to fill out a form each incase one gets called and the other doesn't. This is exactly opposite as to what was told to me when I got NEXUS.
Sorry to hear of your treatment @ US Pre-Clearance @ YYZ.
These folks are nasty and to be honest, we have experienced the same 'stern talkings to' at that location as well. In our case, we were sperated, despite the fact we had completed two cards (this was pre Nexus).

Herein lies the problem/comfusion:

When you enter the US, you fill out a card. The US card is one per FAMILY. Unfortunately, the US does not recognize your family status.

When you enter Canada, you fill out a card. The CAN card is one per ADDRESS. So, it doesn't matter what the relationship is.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:11 am

I had assumed this was on the way into Canada. Ignore my previous reply if it was, in fact, US preclearance.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
I had assumed this was on the way into Canada. Ignore my previous reply if it was, in fact, US preclearance.
It was US Pre-clearence. Sorry I should of mentioned that, kind of important I know.

I was told by a guard (Us pre-clearence) in Calgary to do two forms and me and my husband got chewed out BIG time for doing one form. He actually ripped up the form and sent us to the back of the line to do it all over again. (Pre NEXUS)
4 months later, going through YUL (US pre-clearence) we filled out two separate forms and got chewed out by a female guard informing us only one form per family and she questioned the fact we could read since we didn't follow simple instructions on the form ( As she put it)
Halifax Pre-Clearence we did one form as previously instructred, got chewed out again and told to do seperate forms.

Got the NEXUS cards and was told, clear as day, to do ONE FORM ONLY because we are family. I explained the problems we have received and they assured me one form only, not to do two. Then two weeks ago I got chewed out for doing only one form at Toronto pre clearence.

So, is it any wonder I get all worked up when going through Us preclearence? not knowing what I should do and if I'll get shouted out, returned to the back of the line or make me feel like a complete idiot? I'm really getting sick of this back and forth. There must be something I can do to solve this.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC SE
...There must be something I can do to solve this.
3 forms? 1 joint and have 2 separate on stand-by.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:36 pm

There must be something I can do to solve this.
Whether entering a country via pre-clearance, on arrival or at a land border, you are subject to the laws of that country.

You each need to complete a form when entering the USA. If questioned, simply but confidently reply that one form each was used as their country (and this is at a Fed level) does not recognize your family status.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
When my dh and I got our NEXUS (in YOW) we were told to each do a form. When the flight attendant questions this ("one per family") we explain we are on NEXUS and each require a form and she doesn't question that.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone tried to do a name change on thier Nexus, when there name has been legally changed? My sister got married, and was having a bit of trouble with her name change.

She got her Canadian passport changed to her new name (she is dual US citizen as well, and is working on that one). She wanted to update her Canadian passport with the Nexus office and have her name changed on that. She called to find out the process, and was told to just go to the office (at YYZ, where she lives) and they would handle there, no appointment needed, with documentation of the name change (marriage cert). Upon arrival at the YYZ office, she was told she needs to make an appointmnet, but didn't need to go through a renewal or fill out any forms. It was clear the name change was the issue, not the document update.

So I'd love to hear from anyone who has legally changed their name, and how they were abe to change the name with Nexus.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
When my dh and I got our NEXUS (in YOW) we were told to each do a form. When the flight attendant questions this ("one per family") we explain we are on NEXUS and each require a form and she doesn't question that.
She didn't care, the one extra piece of paper isn't going to affect her. In my experience (random chit-chat with a handful of FAs), they have no idea what NEXUS is.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
She got her Canadian passport changed to her new name (she is dual US citizen as well, and is working on that one). She wanted to update her Canadian passport with the Nexus office and have her name changed on that.
Are both passports registered on her nexus? All I can think of is if both have to be the same name before they can be updated. nexus may not be able to handle 2 different names on the passports.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goaliemn
Are both passports registered on her nexus? All I can think of is if both have to be the same name before they can be updated. nexus may not be able to handle 2 different names on the passports.
I wasn't with her, but I got the impression that the agent didn't even go into her account, that when she mentioned that her name had legally changed, and he saw the Nexus card with the old name, which she wanted to change to the new, and her Cdn. passport with the new name (and she had her marriage cert. too), he just told her she needed an appt.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
She didn't care, the one extra piece of paper isn't going to affect her. In my experience (random chit-chat with a handful of FAs), they have no idea what NEXUS is.
Many FAs and pilots have Nexus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.