Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by txviking
Thanks. In the US, I use my green card to enter; they were very explicit to use that and NOT my NEXUS card. Of course, the green card means diddly to Canadian authorities. So to confirm:

In the United States: Enter using the green card and finger prints in a GE machine
In Canada: Enter using the NEXUS card and iris scan in a NEXUS machine
Generally yes, the exception is if you are using the GE machine in US precleararance in a Canadian airport. You can use your NEXUS card in the GE machine in that case.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...al-information
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by txviking
In the United States: Enter using the green card and finger prints in a GE machine
In Canada: Enter using the NEXUS card and iris scan in a NEXUS machine
I am Canadian. I have Nexus and Global Entry.

I have a Nexus card.

When I enter the United States at YVR, I put my Canadian passport and fingerprints into the GE machine. I then hand my passport, boarding pass and GE receipt to the officer for the questioning. Should I be using my Nexus card instead of my passport?

Nexus machine entering Canada is my Nexus card, as you say.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by gglave

I have a Nexus card.

When I enter the United States at YVR, I put my Canadian passport and fingerprints into the GE machine. I then hand my passport, boarding pass and GE receipt to the officer for the questioning. Should I be using my Nexus card instead of my passport?

If your Canadian passport works, I wouldn't be concerned. I use my USA passport (my only citizenship is USA) at Canadian airport Preclearance location GE kiosks. The only times I pull my NEXUS card out is entering Canada, entering USA via vehicle, and accessing the NEXUS security lines. You can use the NEXUS card to enter USA at Canadian airport Preclearance, but I'd say stick with what works, especially as you'd have to use the passport to use Global Entry kiosks at air points of entry that aren't Canadian airport Preclearance.
txviking likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM

I have a Nexus card.

NEXUS card only works at pre clearance Canadian airports to the U.S. Most likely immigration officer demands to see your passport.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star

I have a Nexus card.

There's no requirement to use the NEXUS card at US CBP Canadian Preclearance or explicit benefit to doing so. It's just an option.
The machine readable zone (bottom of passport book bio page) was beat to hell and unreadable, so using the NEXUS card was quicker than hitting the button to type my document number. (It also is generally quicker for the GE Kiosk to recognize than the bottom of a passport with a good MRZ and easier to feed into the scanner quickly).

My advice to anyone is to carry the NEXUS card and enrolled NEXUS document (USA/CAN passport or LPR card from either country) even when going through airports. I've been asked to see it to get access to GE kiosks both at preclearance and the US (with the airport employees refusing access without) and asked to see both documents by a customs official a number of times (regardless of the document I picked at check-in - NEXUS card is technically valid for US <---> Canadian international flights without passport, but practically very hard to achieve due to lack of knowledge on part of airline employees/security screening staff/airport employees/US & Canadian customs).
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by phltraveler
You should carry both your green card and NEXUS card at all times (in my opinion). It ensures you will not be denied benefits or given undue trouble.
Absolutely agree. I also carry my passport at all times for international travel. Since I'm not a US or Canadian citizen, the NEXUS card is not an approved WHTI document in my case (although the green card is.) And I require my passport to enter Canada. So I carry all three documents whenever I cross a border.

My confusion wasn't regarding what to carry, but which document to actually scan in the kiosks when entering Canada by air, which I haven't attempted before. Your summary was very helpful in clearing that up; thanks for the writeup!

Last edited by txviking; Apr 24, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: Broke the quote markup
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:43 pm

When I enter the United States at YVR, I put my Canadian passport and fingerprints into the GE machine. I then hand my passport, boarding pass and GE receipt to the officer for the questioning. Should I be using my Nexus card instead of my passport?.
You can use either. The NEXUS card gets me through security, US Immigration at YVR transborder, and onto the plane. Passport is zipped up in my carryon. I don't see the point of having to dig it out and use it at the GE kiosk when I can just leave it in my carryon and use the NEXUS card that is already in my pocket.

I don't like to take my passport out any more than I need to. If it gets lost or damaged it's quite a hassle and expense to get it replaced, especially while traveling. A lost NEXUS card is not a big deal, it's easily replaced.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiraly
You can use either. The NEXUS card gets me through security, US Immigration at YVR transborder, and onto the plane. Passport is zipped up in my carryon. I don't see the point of having to dig it out and use it at the GE kiosk when I can just leave it in my carryon and use the NEXUS card that is already in my pocket.

I don't like to take my passport out any more than I need to. If it gets lost or damaged it's quite a hassle and expense to get it replaced, especially while traveling. A lost NEXUS card is not a big deal, it's easily replaced.
The CBP GE/NEXUS kiosks at YUL can operated with no documents. It allows for name and DOB lookup followed by the the usual GE kiosk fingerprint/photo/questions process.

But then again all passengers are interviewed by CBP shortly thereafter so I'm not sure what happens if you show up with only a GE kiosk receipt and no documents.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by seawolf
The CBP GE/NEXUS kiosks at YUL can operated with no documents. It allows for name and DOB lookup followed by the the usual GE kiosk fingerprint/photo/questions process.

But then again all passengers are interviewed by CBP shortly thereafter so I'm not sure what happens if you show up with only a GE kiosk receipt and no documents.
GE in general (not just at YUL) allows you to use name/date of birth or document number (passport, green card, etc.) lookup. I used the latter extensively at airports in the past couple years because the machine readable zone at the bottom of my passport bio page was so beat up the scanner didn't read it easily.

At YUL in particular you wouldn't get through customs (at least not easily) without a document because they always interview at YUL CBP Preclearance and they want to see the passport + NEXUS + GE slip and sometimes the boarding pass as well (if they don't ask for it initially, they will if you respond to having checked baggage).

At YYZ you could theoretically clear GE without a document because they almost never stop GE members. The general behavior is if GE slip is normal (no X or O) and you don't have any checked baggage, that you walk straight through the booth without talking to a primary CBP officer and hand the one near the end of the customs hall your receipt without stopping. If you have checked baggage, then you just see a primary officer to scan your boarding pass to make sure the baggage system took pictures of all your checked bags (if not, you get sent back to an international connections baggage area to wait until your bag is found and imaged, then you reenter CBP without going through security screening again). However, there are exceptions - I did get questioned and asked for documents a couple times with normal GE Kiosk receipts at YYZ T1.

This is all kind of "in theory" though. In practice, you'd find it hard to board an international flight to or from the US without a passport or NEXUS card (with many gate agents not recognizing that the latter is valid for US <---> Canada transborder travel in lieu of a passport), and with no documentation you would find it difficult to get through security screening at the US Transborder gates in Canada to even reach the CBP Preclearance hall.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:22 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I just got my NEXUS card. I had the misfortune of having to go to an interview. I went to Montréal, where I was grilled for over an hour not about my trip to Cuba, but about my run for public office, and about some of my family members. The agent was feverishly taking notes. Despite this, I was approved within minutes from the conclusion of my interview, and I received my card five days later.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
The Canadians definitely don't care about your trip to Cuba. Heck, people were checking in for the Cubana nonstop YUL-HAV after I finished with my NEXUS interview at YUL .
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
CBP doesn’t care about travel to Cuba unless person is US citizen or US LPR.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:09 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
The Canadians definitely don't care about your trip to Cuba. Heck, people were checking in for the Cubana nonstop YUL-HAV after I finished with my NEXUS interview at YUL .
The Canadians didn't even interview me. Just the Americans.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:10 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by seawolf
CBP doesn’t care about travel to Cuba unless person is US citizen or US LPR.
I am a US citizen, and I've read about some of the nightmarish stories on here. I didn't get any of that.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:03 am

NEXUS daily commuters secondary inspection

Does anyone have experience crossing Canada USA border everyday for work using NEXUS pass? Like residing in Canada and working in USA
Is it a feasible option to choose? Are US officers okay with daily commuting using NEXUS?
How frequent does Nexus commuters get to go through secondary inspection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.