Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:17 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by mattm00se
Note that this one is fingerprint based, so no chance it will ever be interoperable/merged with nexus...good planning.
umm.. I was fingerprinted when I got my Nexus card, so couldn't they use those prints?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Everyone was supposed to have fingerprints lifted who applied for Nexus Air (or upgraded to Nexus Air).

From what I've heard when talking to DHS supervisor (JFK last week) was that Nexus users with a US passport or Resident Card will have some form of accelerated membership for Global Entry with Canadian residents following right behind. We would NOT need to have the full background check and he advised NOT to apply until this is fact as your application if applied now will NOT be accelerated and will go in the regular queue even if an accelerated join up comes later.

Regarding the difference on Canadian Citizens/Residents - Might have something to do with the agreement you sign when joining, I don't have it in front of me but doesn't the Canadian agreement state something about information sharing is for Nexus crossing use only?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:30 pm
Suspended

So I go to DVD release parties and other fun promotional stuff in Toronto (I could go to NY, but the site I write for is based out of Ontario). I applied for Nexus, but at these promo parties I'm usually given free stuff (was just there for a 10,000 BC blu-ray release party, got a copy of the Blu-Ray and some other nick-nacks). Would I have to declare these as purchased goods? Since I don't pay anything for them do I still have to pay tax? I'm usually given a press release with the stuff, so that might help my case, I just want to avoid as much trouble as possible. I decided to sign up for the program after sitting at the Sarnia/Port Huron border for 80min. That pretty much sealed the deal! I guess I could ask these questions in the interview if nobody here knows the answer.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:03 pm

Post deleted.

Last edited by todd-r; Jun 13, 2008 at 10:33 pm Reason: Originally written from a Canadian Resident perspective.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:04 pm
ALW

You're supposed to declare the goods at their fair value, irrespective of whether you paid for them or were given them. I can't say for certain what happens if you're over the duty-free limit and cross with Nexus (well, at a land crossing you'd put the special declaration card in the box and they'd automatically charge your credit card). I know there's a similar box at the airport but don't know if saying you went over means talking to an agent. The benefit of not using Nexus is an agent might wave you through but with Nexus you'll always pay (without stopping hopefully).

I actually wanted to ask, myself, what happens if you say you answered "yes" to any of the questions. Do they send you to the special lane, or give you a card that sends you to secondary, or does the machine refuse to process you and send you to a regular line?

=aw
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I actually wanted to ask, myself, what happens if you say you answered "yes" to any of the questions. Do they send you to the special lane, or give you a card that sends you to secondary, or does the machine refuse to process you and send you to a regular line?
This is my experience, on entering Canada at an airport with Nexus:

YES to Question A: the code printed on the kiosk receipt will tell the officer at the exit to direct you into secondary.

YES to Question B: If you answer yes (you're over your duty free exemption limit, or have stuff you need to declare), there'll be a $ printed on the kiosk receipt. You can then either head to the cashier to pay the duty/taxes owed, or if the cashier is closed, then head towards the exit. You will either be waved on by that officer, or be directed to secondary.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

YES to Question A: the code printed on the kiosk receipt will tell the officer at the exit to direct you into secondary.

YES to Question B: If you answer yes (you're over your duty free exemption limit, or have stuff you need to declare), there'll be a $ printed on the kiosk receipt. You can then either head to the cashier to pay the duty/taxes owed, or if the cashier is closed, then head towards the exit. You will either be waved on by that officer, or be directed to secondary.
I only have experience with question A, and this was my experience too.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:33 am
ALW

Thanks.

=aw
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:54 am

And if you stay off your Blackberry while exiting the baggage hall as the sign suggests, the officer at the exit may just ask you a couple clarifying questions and save you a trip to Secondary.

Also, remember there are random referrals as well. Despite what a select few (who have apparently never read the members' guide) seem to believe, a Nexus card does not preclude one from examination.

Last edited by CBSAguy; Jun 14, 2008 at 11:03 am
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:24 am
ALW

There's a box next to the machines, I assumed for the TDC. Can you save a trip to the cashier by using that, and if so how would they know?

=aw
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by CBSAguy
And if you stay off your Blackberry while exiting the baggage hall as the sign suggests, the officer at the exit may just ask you a couple clarifying questions and save you a trip to Secondary.

Also, remember there are random referrals as well. Despite what a select few (who have apparently never read the members' guide) seem to believe, a Nexus card does not preclude one from examination.
I always keep my phone off until I've exited the customs hall. The extra questions asked by the officer at the exit have definitely saved me several trips to secondary.

And yes, I understand there are random referrals as well. My post above only deals with my experience when I've answered YES to the 2 questions asked by the kiosk.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;

Sorry, I am new to this and reading as much as I can. What are Questions A & B?

Also, what is the average processing time from receipt of the GOES application and being able to book the interview?

Thanks

Steve
Old Jun 14, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
1. They say that the random searches are 1 in 100... I've used it about 60 times (I think), and no hits yet.

2. My fiancee's GOES application took 3 weeks about 6 weeks ago...
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;
Application asking for Conveyance. Is this for comercial vehicles, or do I enter personal vehicles, leased vehicles? Help!

Last edited by OnMedic; Jun 14, 2008 at 7:49 pm
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by YYCOllie
1. They say that the random searches are 1 in 100... I've used it about 60 times (I think), and no hits yet.
I've heard 1/100. I've heard 3/100. Sometimes the random referrals are released at the exit, so you may have been coded in as a random referral by the system and not even know it. At the same time, random referrals may also be made by the point officer at the exit regardless of the system coding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.