Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Sure, TSA hates the program, just like any good bureaucrat hates to have to compete with the private sector.

Luckily TSA is not (yet) above the law and Congress will have the ultimate say regarding the future of the registered traveler program.
TSA will simply say that it is a "security issue." They are already taking the ID requirement to a level of granular stupidity. My bet is that they will say since the laptop has been compromised, they cannot guarantee that the identity process of R/T is still valid, and since, to TSA, ID=Security, they will require all R/T lanes be shut down until the program can be re-evaluated.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:59 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Is that true? I always thought someone should get him for selling something that was available for free.
It's true.
And I thought that someone should get him too, because he flaunted his personal info so proudly (fools rush in where angels fear to tread).

But I don't think there was anything wrong with him "selling something that was available for free." I can do my own taxes, by hand, for free too, but I'll gladly pay $50 for TurboTax to save myself 10 hours of slaving over a calculator and researching tax exemption laws. Or I'd fork over $200 to have H&R Block take care of the entire thing for me.

I can wash and iron my own shirts for free too, but I'm delighted to pay the cleaners $2 per shirt to do it for me.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:02 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Superguy
Congress has a record of talking tough to TSA and DHS but never actually does anything to them.
Congress ordered DHS/TSA to implement a RT program. You see what we got.

Congress isn't really running the country, bureaucrats are.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
This is VERY cool. I got in just in time, and now there will not be new enrollees clogging up my short lines for the time being! ^^

As for the stolen laptop, I am every bit as comfortable with CLEAR having that 411 as I am the DMV. Heck, at least with CLEAR if they are actually negligent with the 411 (ie, they DIDNT have it double-password protected as they apparently do) they are liable to civil actions without having to leap through a sovereign immunity hoop. That's actually BETTER accountability for protecting my privacy, imho.
The TSA loves to hold everyone else accountable (except for themsevles). The TSA isn't very thrilled about Clear in the first place. Don't think for a second that this breach will be just brushed aside.

With the time you've saved without the newbies, you might want to consider the fact that the TSA could very well tell Steven Brill to pound sand because they can't be trusted.

Seems like a stretch, but the TSA are artists at making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, DEN kiosk is shut down. Only there is a supervisor explaining what's going on. They're taking names and phone numbers to call back to let people know when they're signing up again.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:03 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, the enrollment/renewal fee for Clear has been raised to $128/yr from $100.

Still one year free (once enrollment begins again) for Hyatt elites, and a renewal year is currently being given for free to Hyatt elites as well.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:26 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in COPENHAGEN, DENMARK
Originally Posted by LessO2
The TSA loves to hold everyone else accountable (except for themsevles). The TSA isn't very thrilled about Clear in the first place. Don't think for a second that this breach will be just brushed aside.

With the time you've saved without the newbies, you might want to consider the fact that the TSA could very well tell Steven Brill to pound sand because they can't be trusted.

Seems like a stretch, but the TSA are artists at making a mountain out of a mole hill.
True, but about a year ago it was Congress and Brill against TSA. Hawley got a right pillorying from the House Homeland Security Committee for dragging his feet and obstructing the Congressionally-mandated registered traveler program.

I find myself in the corner with the corporate business travel world against TSA on this. I think Congress will too.

It's one thing to screw around with ma and pa kettle. It's quite another to mess with corporate travel departments of the Fortune 200, all of whom have vested business interests in efficient air travel (and the lobbying departments to back that up). And besides, would you be surprised to learn that nearly every member of Congress is a participant in Clear, with the amount of flying back and forth to DC they do? I certainly wouldn't. @:-)
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
From the Clear web site

Important Notice
We are currently updating our software and are unable to process enrollments at this time. Click here to enter your email address so we can notify you once enrollment is available.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold 1MM, United Gold
"Clear" travel customers -- your information at risk -- lost laptop (since found)

KCBS in San Francisco is reporting that 33,000 customers have had their personal information compromised when "an unencrypted computer storing the personal information on the cards went missing from SFO on July 26th".

Slashdot observes that the contractor running the Clear program is "in the process of notifying customers that all of their personal data, including name, address, SSi number, passport number, date of birth, etc. has been compromised."

Just a heads-up. If you are in the Clear program, you might want to put a fraud alert on your credit reports.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by garycal
KCBS in San Francisco is reporting that 33,000 customers have had their personal information compromised when "an unencrypted computer storing the personal information on the cards went missing from SFO on July 26th".

Slashdot observes that the contractor running the Clear program is "in the process of notifying customers that all of their personal data, including name, address, SSi number, passport number, date of birth, etc. has been compromised."

Just a heads-up. If you are in the Clear program, you might want to put a fraud alert on your credit reports.
over here as well :http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852303

perhaps merge and then move to travel safety & security?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:11 pm

Laptop containing unencrypted personal info of 33,000 Clear applicants stolen

The Transportation Security Administration says a laptop containing the sensitive personal information of 33,000 applicants to an airport security prescreening program has gone missing.

T.S.A. spokesperson Ann Davis told CBS an unencrypted computer storing the personal information on the cards went missing from SFO on July 26th, but the agency was not notified until Sunday.
http://cbs5.com/local/tsa.security.clear.2.788083.html
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
An agency spokesman says the company must notify all affected applicants and show it has installed encryption on all its computers before it can restart enrollments.
Huh ? How exactly does that help the 33,000 who have effectively just had their IDs stolen ?

You can trust us, we're The Government. Umm.. okay
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No surprise that sooner or later such a thing would happen.
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
FYI, the enrollment/renewal fee for Clear has been raised to $128/yr from $100.

Still one year free (once enrollment begins again) for Hyatt elites, and a renewal year is currently being given for free to Hyatt elites as well.
I got the free year as a Hyatt Platinum, but now I'm only a Hyatt Gold. Can I still get the free renewal?

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Already discussed in the clear thread.

What's kind of funny is they just sent out information on how they passed their security audit last week!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.