"CLEAR" ly this is a problem

Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
"CLEAR" ly this is a problem

I applied for my clear card about a month ago (yes, I know what some on this board says about the Clear Card but for me, for Orlando, it's worth it) while in a wheelchair. I was able to do everything and was approved/received my card.

I went to go through the clear lane yesterday at MCO and was told that because I have a new card as opposed to the old card, I could not use the lane unless I could walk up a fairly slanted ramp (I can't). She told me if I had my old card I could use the old kiosk, but since I didn't, I couldn't.

She then said she'd call a supervisor and see what she could do (by this time, my time savings is going away). She ended up having someone take me through security in the wheelchair line (which I could have done on my own, but her help was appreciated). They ended up giving a solution, which I liked but I didnt' feel it was the optimal solution.

I asked the Clear woman what they were going to do with disabled people in the future and she said they were trying to work something out. Again, I think they should have worked this out before changing kiosks. Also, if the old kiosk works for someone who is disabled, why not let them use it?

I am writing to CLEAR about this because I signed up in a wheelchair and was able to do everything then, it shouldn't be an issue when I go to actually use it.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in disability but felt this was the better forum.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I reading this right? The Clear folks aren't complying with the ADA?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The company and airport authority's way out of this is the provision for "reasonable accomodation". From the OP's description, it appears that CLEA passed the reasonable accomodation test. Still worth a challenge, though.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My biggest issue is that I signed up AT MCO using the kiosks that they have set up there. They knew I was in a wheelchair, and they knew I would be for sometime. They happily took my money to get me CLEARed and should have advised me "oh, if you get the card, you still can't use the clear lane" because the kiosk is different than this. VERY disappointing.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:13 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
They happily refunded my money after enough badgering
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkt
They happily refunded my money after enough badgering
Good to know - thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.