Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) Immigration Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) Immigration Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I had no trouble entering Vietnam from Singapore on an APEC card in 2017.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK APEC means that you can enter Vietnam for a business trip without getting a visa. There's no restriction that you must travel directly to Vietnam from Australia and, in fact, many business travelers would frequently combine several countries on one trip without returning home in between.

I don't know how strict they would be about using APEC to enter on what is obviously a trip for tourism.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I've never had anyone question whether I'm traveling for business or leisure when using my APEC card. And I usually check the appropriate box (business or holiday) on the landing card.

In fact, when using my APEC card, I hardly ever get asked any questions at all.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] There is a dedicated forum for these types of questions here on FT so I am moving this thread there. [/mod hat]
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As was said above, it doesn't matter where you're flying in from.

The official answer on using it for personal travel is "maybe". It's in the FAQ at https://www.apec.org/Groups/Committe...Group/ABTC/FAQ with the answer

The ABTC is not designed for tourism purposes, but some economies may facilitate entry for cardholders depending on their circumstances. Please refer to the relevant economy for individual entry arrangements for cardholders and tourist visits.

Simply using it to get access to the faster line at immigration will not be a problem (worst case they punt you back to the normal line, but I can't see that happening). The issue would be countries where you need a visa - which includes Vietnam. If they decided to enforce the "business travel only" use, then at best you're going to have a potentially difficult time getting through immigration. I have seen at least one report of someone being refused entry as they were on non-business travel, but I don't recall where that was mentioned (might have been FT) or what country - and of course you'd likely never know the full story/reason...

Other than countries where there's a option on the immigration form (eg, Thailand) I don't actually recall ever being asked if I was there for business or pleasure when using my ABTC.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:07 pm
Suspended

As an APEC card passport holder, you can stay in Vietnam for at maximum 60 days without applying for visa.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 10:41 pm

ABTC/APEC immigration experiences

Is there any master threads that show experience by airport? Official policy is only apec card holder can use the lines, but i've found it's different depending on airport (and potentially agent).

SGN 2/23- single traveller- only issue is they didn't know their policy (I have a US passport/HK issued APEC card), and agent asked me for a visa. Told him i didn't need one, he sent me to the visa line, and after 5 other agents and 5 mins of discussion, I was sent back and through without issues. Exiting the country, they have fastpass for immigration, but unless travelling business, security is normal line
BKK 12/23- travelling with significant other- at first, they tried to tell me she couldn't use it- I asked nicely if he could just make an exception- they allowed it. Exit- they allow fastpass immigration/security
HKT 1/23- They have a sign that actually says ABTC + 1 is allowed- had no issues.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 5:09 pm

Yes. There's a thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...riences-q.html
jacklee likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
I considered merging this thread with the linked thread; however, I am not sure whether jacklee has a US or Canadian issued card.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

ETA: I should have read the original post in this thread more carefully. The OP has a Hong Kong issued card which replaces or waives the visa requirements for most APEC member countries.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 15, 2023 at 5:58 pm Reason: See ETA note
Old Mar 15, 2023, 5:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
OP is using a HKG issued card which would have some pre-cleared APEC members.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
HK is the only jurisdiction that will issue APEC card to foreign passport holders who are residents there.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by williamluk; Mar 17, 2023 at 11:14 am
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:38 am

ABTC/APEC accompanying person allowed?

I have had APEC card for many years (but a gap during Covid). I travel mainly for work but my wife/daughter come along sometimes. When I first started it stated clearly you can have one accompanying person. Certainly in the past SIN is very strict and say choose to take your wife OR daughter, the other has to go to general line. This happened only once or twice in other countries - elsewhere they usually let three of us through,

Since Covid, the 'rules' (which I can't find anything written on their web) seem to have changed. Last week in KL, the officer insisted APEC is only for one person travelling though he let us all through. Same happened when arriving in AUS last night (when using the fast track luggage declaration line).

I know it has always been variable how these situations are handled (country and officer of the day dependent), but wonder if anyone can refer me to any specific written regulations? Or share recent experiences?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YNWA2024
I have had APEC card for many years (but a gap during Covid). I travel mainly for work but my wife/daughter come along sometimes. When I first started it stated clearly you can have one accompanying person. Certainly in the past SIN is very strict and say choose to take your wife OR daughter, the other has to go to general line. This happened only once or twice in other countries - elsewhere they usually let three of us through,

Since Covid, the 'rules' (which I can't find anything written on their web) seem to have changed. Last week in KL, the officer insisted APEC is only for one person travelling though he let us all through. Same happened when arriving in AUS last night (when using the fast track luggage declaration line).

I know it has always been variable how these situations are handled (country and officer of the day dependent), but wonder if anyone can refer me to any specific written regulations? Or share recent experiences?
It's always meant for the card holder only as ABTC is normally tied to a visa waiver. Actual enforcement is YMMV.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:51 am

Programs: AY+ (Emerald), OZ (*G), IHG (Diamond)
Hi All,

I have slight different question, I hope this is the right place to post it. Is there an APEC designated lane for all airports even if not labelled?

I'm travelling to ORD next month, have a US Visa and ABTC travel card. I have entered the US before so no issue with immigration, my question is, in JFK I saw an APEC lane for immigration so happily used it, in DFW I did not see an APEC designated lane but the queues when I landed were short so no major difference, what is the situation for ORD? Is there an APEC designated lane? or is there another priority lane designated for ABTC holders which is not labelled as such? thanks in advance
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:47 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TravelExperience
Hi All,

I have slight different question, I hope this is the right place to post it. Is there an APEC designated lane for all airports even if not labelled?

I'm travelling to ORD next month, have a US Visa and ABTC travel card. I have entered the US before so no issue with immigration, my question is, in JFK I saw an APEC lane for immigration so happily used it, in DFW I did not see an APEC designated lane but the queues when I landed were short so no major difference, what is the situation for ORD? Is there an APEC designated lane? or is there another priority lane designated for ABTC holders which is not labelled as such? thanks in advance
ABTC travel card holders can generally use lanes designated for diplomats and crew members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.