Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Citizens of India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
This thread in the India forum contains useful information on completing the requisite portion of the application process in India:

India joins US Global Entry programme

The following was copied verbatim from the DHS website:

Global Entry for Indian Citizens

How to Apply for Global Entry:

Citizens of India are eligible for Global Entry. Applications must be submitted through CBP’s Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) website. The non-refundable application fee for a five-year Global Entry membership is $100 and applications must be made online. Once the application is approved, a CBP officer will conduct a scheduled interview with the applicant and then make a final eligibility determination.

Application Process:
  1. Apply Online with CBP: Complete a TTP online application and pay the $100 non-refundable application fee.
  2. After completion of step ‘1’ applicants need to submit the requisite information, along with the applicable fee of ₹500, in the Passport Seva Portal, www.passportindia.gov.in for their background check in India. In addition to this, all Indian applicants must schedule an in-person interview at the respective Passport Seva Kendra/Passport Seva Laghu Kendra (PSK/PSLK) office as per their residential jurisdiction in India (as per the address furnished online). During the interview, Indian citizens will have their fingerprints and photo captured and complete other formalities. A visit to the PSK/PSLK is based on prior appointment only.
  3. If the applicant is not presently living in India, it is recommended that they apply for Global Entry prior to their next trip to India so that the appointment at the PSK/PSLK office can be completed during their visit.
  4. Schedule an Interview in the U.S.: Once your application is reviewed, you will receive a message in your TTP account instructing you to schedule an interview at one of the Global Entry Enrollment Centers. Global Entry Enrollment Centers are primarily located within the United States at ports of entry and designated CBP facilities.
  5. Interview Determines Your Eligibility: A U.S. Customs Border Protection officer will ask you questions, take your photo, and collect your fingerprints.
  6. Provide Identification: Bring your valid passport(s) and one other form of identification, such as a driver's license or ID card to the interview. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must present your permanent resident card.

Other Benefits:

Once a citizen of India is enrolled in Global Entry, he/she will also be eligible to participate in TSA Precheck. Visit the TSA Precheck program website for more information.

Travel Requirements:

All Indian Global Entry members must have a valid passport and a valid visa. Global Entry members who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents must maintain updated visa information with CBP. If a Global Entry member obtains a new visa, or obtains a new petition for a work visa, the member must notify CBP in-person at a Global Entry enrollment center. A member must visit an enrollment center to have CBP add visa and/or update visa information. If the visa information is incomplete or not properly updated with CBP, the Global Entry kiosk may incorrectly calculate the member’s class of admission and admission date. A member must visit an enrollment center in-person to add or update visa information.

Last modified: May 17, 2018
Print Wikipost

Global Entry for Citizens of India

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:28 am

GEP Application: Nov 2017
PSK visit and Police Verification: Early Jan 2018
Via Twitter, my local RPO finally confirmed that my application has been cleared;
but no status update on Indian passport seva site or US CBP page
Anyone here know how long would it take for the next step - for US conditional approval?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:12 pm

Had a crazy, but rewarding day!
After 7 months of waiting, Indian RPO via Twitter confirmed that my case is cleared from Indian side yesterday.
Today at 2 PM, got conditional approval email from US CBP.
Used Twitter @GOESbot to book a last minute 7:45 PM appointment in SFO enrollment center at 6 PM.
Rushed to airport via car + train + Uber, reached at 7:44. Called in at 7:51, out by 8:05 PM.
Just need your passport and driver's license (with current home address). NOTE: I am on an H1B, Green card holders will need their PR.
I was asked to list countries I had traveled to in the past 5 years, then a photo and fingerprint was taken.
I was told my PASS ID (membership #) can immediately be used for TSA pre-checks, Global entry card will be mailed in 7-10 business days.

Very smooth experience on the US side, all within 24 hours after Indian side gave the green light!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:15 am

My experience from Hyderabad:

So my case is I lived in NYC for 6 years on L1 Visa, got my passport renewal done at Indian Consulate in NYC (with my address in India), left NYC in Nov. 2017 and since I maintained the same residence even while living in US I was able to use my Indian address without any issues. However, when the Police verification happened the cop did tell me that since I was living (physical presence) in this residence for less than 2 months I need to sign some form with two people vouching that this is my actual residence. I applied on the basis of B1/B2 Visa since my L1 had expired and I need to wait for a year to reapply H1/L1 Visa after I exhaust the max term of 5 years.

Applied at TTP website on Jan. 18, 2018
GEP Interview at Passport Office on Jan. 19, 2018
Police Verification on Jan. 22, 2018
Conditional Approval on Aug. 28, 2018

Awaiting Interview Schedule which can be done on my next visit to US but should be within a year from getting conditionally approved or it expires automatically.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: DNA
bro, can you share the details for RPO so i can tag mine.. my police verification completed in Aug 2017 but till now no approval.. i see people are getting approvals that are from sept, nov, dec, jan etc... i am curious what might had happened...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Srihari Murali
NOTE: I am on an H1B, Green card holders will need their PR.
<snip>
...Global entry card will be mailed in 7-10 business days.
Two comments, both issues have been discussed up thread.

Global Entry applications by Indian citizens who are Green Card holders are processed in the exact same way as applications by US citizens; there is no need for a background check in India or an interview at a PSK/PSLK office.

Global Entry cards are issued only to members who are U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents or Mexican nationals.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: EY
RPO told me via WhatsApp that GEP requires approval from 13(!) agencies in the Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of Finance. I assume that is the 8 agencies in MHA and the five departments in the Ministry of Finance. Frankly I think it's overkill, especially since everyone applying would have already been approved for a passport in far less time. Centralization of clearances would help. I doubt the Indo Tibetan Border Force, or example, has the resources, or need, to conduct a duplicative background check on their own.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
Two comments, both issues have been discussed up thread.

Global Entry applications by Indian citizens who are Green Card holders are processed in the exact same way as applications by US citizens; there is no need for a background check in India or an interview at a PSK/PSLK office.
Hi, Is this stated on any CBP website? I want to be sure green card holders can go thru the normal process as US citizens before I pay 100 bucks. Its not practical for us to go India for a background check there.

Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by arunhn
Hi, Is this stated on any CBP website? I want to be sure green card holders can go thru the normal process as US citizens before I pay 100 bucks. Its not practical for us to go India for a background check there.

Thanks
There are numerous data points in the following thread:
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I applied for the GEP last week (Trusted Traveler Program), I was told I will receive an email from Passport Seva to schedule a background verification process. I haven't received it. Does that not happen? Any help will be appreciated.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:48 am

Question: I only have 9 working days during my visit to India on first week of Nov 2018. On day 1, I am dropping off my passport for H1b stamping which usually takes about 5-7 days to get the passport back. Now I want to take care of the global entry process in india when I am there, during the remaining days.

So,

1) Can I make a PSK appointment the next day (after I get the stamped passport from the US embassy). Are the slots are available for last minute appointments ?
2) Global entry appln was submitted on 09/15/18 and I am not sure whether I should wait for any responses to proceed to the next step of making the appointment with PSK
3) How long does usually the police verification to take place after visting the PSK office ?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Srihari Murali
GEP Application: Nov 2017
PSK visit and Police Verification: Early Jan 2018
Via Twitter, my local RPO finally confirmed that my application has been cleared;
but no status update on Indian passport seva site or US CBP page
Anyone here know how long would it take for the next step - for US conditional approval?
I applied in Nov 2017 and had police verification in Dec 2017. No update till now
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:04 pm

Hi,

I am yet another wannabe GE traveler . Thanks all for the information contribution. I have a few questions regarding my situation.
My passport was issued in NYC with NYC address. My current H1B Visa stamp expired in Mar 2018 and new H1B is approved till Mar 2021. I co-own my parents' apartment in Gujarat where they have been residing since last 5 years. I have Aadhaar card but the address is not the same. However, I do have PAN card with the same address. I will be visiting India in Jan 2019.
1. I should be using my parents' current address since my passport address won't work. Correct?
2. Will Aadhar having a different address be a problem? Should I try getting it changed before my visit?
3. When should I start the application given that it automatically assigns you an interview date at the PSK?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
finally managed to use global entry (since getting approved in july) when i flew into dtw last week....the whole thing was a breeze....took me less than 2 minutes to use the ge machines, show the officer my printed slip & make it to the baggage area....
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by americanentry
Hi,

I am yet another wannabe GE traveler . Thanks all for the information contribution. I have a few questions regarding my situation.
My passport was issued in NYC with NYC address. My current H1B Visa stamp expired in Mar 2018 and new H1B is approved till Mar 2021. I co-own my parents' apartment in Gujarat where they have been residing since last 5 years. I have Aadhaar card but the address is not the same. However, I do have PAN card with the same address. I will be visiting India in Jan 2019.
1. I should be using my parents' current address since my passport address won't work. Correct?
2. Will Aadhar having a different address be a problem? Should I try getting it changed before my visit?
3. When should I start the application given that it automatically assigns you an interview date at the PSK?

Thanks in advance!
^ Bumping this, if anyone can answer these questions
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
pan cards cannot be used as address proof....

yes, you can use that address....

not necessarily but if you can get it changed then i would suggest doing so....

have you started your ge application????if not then do that right away....apply for the interview at the passport office a few days before you get to india....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.