Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Citizens of India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
This thread in the India forum contains useful information on completing the requisite portion of the application process in India:

India joins US Global Entry programme

The following was copied verbatim from the DHS website:

Global Entry for Indian Citizens

How to Apply for Global Entry:

Citizens of India are eligible for Global Entry. Applications must be submitted through CBPs Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) website. The non-refundable application fee for a five-year Global Entry membership is $100 and applications must be made online. Once the application is approved, a CBP officer will conduct a scheduled interview with the applicant and then make a final eligibility determination.

Application Process:
  1. Apply Online with CBP: Complete a TTP online application and pay the $100 non-refundable application fee.
  2. After completion of step 1 applicants need to submit the requisite information, along with the applicable fee of ₹500, in the Passport Seva Portal, www.passportindia.gov.in for their background check in India. In addition to this, all Indian applicants must schedule an in-person interview at the respective Passport Seva Kendra/Passport Seva Laghu Kendra (PSK/PSLK) office as per their residential jurisdiction in India (as per the address furnished online). During the interview, Indian citizens will have their fingerprints and photo captured and complete other formalities. A visit to the PSK/PSLK is based on prior appointment only.
  3. If the applicant is not presently living in India, it is recommended that they apply for Global Entry prior to their next trip to India so that the appointment at the PSK/PSLK office can be completed during their visit.
  4. Schedule an Interview in the U.S.: Once your application is reviewed, you will receive a message in your TTP account instructing you to schedule an interview at one of the Global Entry Enrollment Centers. Global Entry Enrollment Centers are primarily located within the United States at ports of entry and designated CBP facilities.
  5. Interview Determines Your Eligibility: A U.S. Customs Border Protection officer will ask you questions, take your photo, and collect your fingerprints.
  6. Provide Identification: Bring your valid passport(s) and one other form of identification, such as a driver's license or ID card to the interview. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must present your permanent resident card.

Other Benefits:

Once a citizen of India is enrolled in Global Entry, he/she will also be eligible to participate in TSA Precheck. Visit the TSA Precheck program website for more information.

Travel Requirements:

All Indian Global Entry members must have a valid passport and a valid visa. Global Entry members who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents must maintain updated visa information with CBP. If a Global Entry member obtains a new visa, or obtains a new petition for a work visa, the member must notify CBP in-person at a Global Entry enrollment center. A member must visit an enrollment center to have CBP add visa and/or update visa information. If the visa information is incomplete or not properly updated with CBP, the Global Entry kiosk may incorrectly calculate the members class of admission and admission date. A member must visit an enrollment center in-person to add or update visa information.

Last modified: May 17, 2018
Print Wikipost

Global Entry for Citizens of India

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by exorcist777777
You guys might have already seen this update on the CBP website.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ndian-citizens
  1. If the applicant is not presently living in India, it is recommended that they apply for Global Entry prior to their next trip to India so that the appointment at the PSK/PSLK office can be completed during their visit.

But obviously we were all faster than the system!!
It just goes to show they were in such a rush to launch that they didn't get all their ducks in a row to properly inform the relevant parties before diving into this, and this is the "recovery".
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:52 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

I've added a wikipost with the US CBP recommended procedure for Indian citizens to apply for Global Entry.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:27 am

So questions that need answers/clarifications:

1) Is there an expiration date for the Global entry- GOES application? As many of us will not be able to go back to India anytime soon & complete the background check in India.
2) Are the two interviews (India & US) done independently of each other? Or do we have to complete the interview in India first to be able to schedule an interview in US?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: Star Alliance (Gold), HHonors (Diamond), Emerald Club (Exec Elite), SPG Plat, Clubcarlson Gold
This is such a silly mess. I agree with the poster somewhere above that we should tweet to sushma swaraj to look into this, it's ridiculous, but she's known to be a proactive/competent minister, so maybe she can wring the ears of some lazy bureaucrat to fix this.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:45 am

Smile GOES Application Refund

1) Is there an expiration date for the Global entry- GOES application? As many of us will not be able to go back to India anytime soon & complete the background check in India.
2) Are the two interviews (India & US) done independently of each other? Or do we have to complete the interview in India first to be able to schedule an interview in US?
Guys,

I have a good news for all those who applied for GEP before July 6th, 2017.
I have reached out to the Customs and Border Protection Office via email asking for the expiry date for the global entry application and also checked with them on chances of a refund as the new rules of having the applicant physically present in India for the background check were published on July 6th on the CBP website.
I got a response from them stating that this background check at the passport office was the requirement of Government of India and not US government. The GOI recently informed the US government of their new requirement to have Indian nationals applying to Global entry to come to India for an interview. As this was not previously disclosed to the CBP or the applicants, CBP is now offering full refunds for anyone that applied before July 6, 2017.

I hope this will help most of us who applied in the first couple of days !!

Cheers!!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:58 am

This is great news!! Thanks for the update @shashankpati08
Originally Posted by shashankpati08
Guys,

I have reached out to the Customs and Border Protection Office via email asking for the expiry date for the global entry application and also checked with them on chances of a refund as the new rules of having the applicant physically present in India for the background check were published on July 6th on the CBP website.
I got a response from them stating that this background check at the passport office was the requirement of Government of India and not US government. The GOI recently informed the US government of their new requirement to have Indian nationals applying to Global entry to come to India for an interview. As this was not previously disclosed to the CBP or the applicants, CBP is now offering full refunds for anyone that applied before July 6, 2017.

Cheers!!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:54 am

For the first question:
Yes, I got a reply from CBP which said the application will remain active for a year.

For the second question:
I guess so, the Indian Govt schedules its own interview and if everything is okay, they will let CBP know and they will then update your application and then call you for their own/separate interview.
This process is pretty similar to what the government of the United Kingdom, where UK citizens have to apply for the Brit govt's own background check and then CBP's.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by shashankpati08
Guys,

Cheers!!
This is good news from fees point of view but a poor system overall from our govt
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:18 pm

Are you guys calling them up and asking for refund? Or can one just send an email
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance (Gold), HHonors (Diamond), Emerald Club (Exec Elite), SPG Plat, Clubcarlson Gold
@shashankpatil08 thanks for checking up. But I'm glad to know the application stays active for a year. I'm more interested in getting it done.
@spetrovov3 but can UK citizens in US do interviews with their consulate or do they have to do it in UK soil? that's the issue...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by f.cerberus
@shashankpatil08 thanks for checking up. But I'm glad to know the application stays active for a year. I'm more interested in getting it done.
@spetrovov3 but can UK citizens in US do interviews with their consulate or do they have to do it in UK soil? that's the issue...
That's a good question. Honestly, I am not sure.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:37 pm

What am I doing wrong

I applied for the Global entry program on July 6th. However, I have not gotten any email from the passport seva kendra service. I also tried applying directly on Passport Kendra website and it is not recognizing my Global enrollment id.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong? Any suggestions? I put the current address as my US address and am wondering if that is what made it wrong.

Cheers,
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beerball
I applied for the Global entry program on July 6th. However, I have not gotten any email from the passport seva kendra service. I also tried applying directly on Passport Kendra website and it is not recognizing my Global enrollment id.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong? Any suggestions? I put the current address as my US address and am wondering if that is what made it wrong.

Cheers,
Are you a US permanent resident?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by f.cerberus
lol

how do these idiots even get hired for their positions?

I think more pressure/push from multiple people, or one of the Indian industry bodies is required.
Agrees- they are such idiots. I called to Chicago Consulate. They said they have no information regarding global entry or background verification from India. When I asked to talk to Consulate General, they said she is on vacation!

By the way, which ID should we use while filling form on www.passport.gov.in? The one which we receive in email from passport India (GES ID) or the one which is generated on CBP website (GOES ID) after paying $100? Because they both are 8 digits, but different.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
they started taking applications from indian citizens on the 28th of june & i submitted mine on the same day....on the 1st of july i got an email from the indian passport office asking me to schedule an appointment at the regional passport office (rpo) for my background verification (all indian citizens have to go through this)....my appointment was scheduled for the 3rd of july & my police verification was also completed on the same day....the information was uploaded & sent by the rpo on the 7th of july....

i'm still waiting for an update....i am hoping to get conditional approval in the month of july since my next trip to the us is scheduled for the end of this month....this way i should hopefully be able to schedule my interview while i am there....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.