Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Citizens of India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
This thread in the India forum contains useful information on completing the requisite portion of the application process in India:

India joins US Global Entry programme

The following was copied verbatim from the DHS website:

Global Entry for Indian Citizens

How to Apply for Global Entry:

Citizens of India are eligible for Global Entry. Applications must be submitted through CBP’s Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) website. The non-refundable application fee for a five-year Global Entry membership is $100 and applications must be made online. Once the application is approved, a CBP officer will conduct a scheduled interview with the applicant and then make a final eligibility determination.

Application Process:
  1. Apply Online with CBP: Complete a TTP online application and pay the $100 non-refundable application fee.
  2. After completion of step ‘1’ applicants need to submit the requisite information, along with the applicable fee of ₹500, in the Passport Seva Portal, www.passportindia.gov.in for their background check in India. In addition to this, all Indian applicants must schedule an in-person interview at the respective Passport Seva Kendra/Passport Seva Laghu Kendra (PSK/PSLK) office as per their residential jurisdiction in India (as per the address furnished online). During the interview, Indian citizens will have their fingerprints and photo captured and complete other formalities. A visit to the PSK/PSLK is based on prior appointment only.
  3. If the applicant is not presently living in India, it is recommended that they apply for Global Entry prior to their next trip to India so that the appointment at the PSK/PSLK office can be completed during their visit.
  4. Schedule an Interview in the U.S.: Once your application is reviewed, you will receive a message in your TTP account instructing you to schedule an interview at one of the Global Entry Enrollment Centers. Global Entry Enrollment Centers are primarily located within the United States at ports of entry and designated CBP facilities.
  5. Interview Determines Your Eligibility: A U.S. Customs Border Protection officer will ask you questions, take your photo, and collect your fingerprints.
  6. Provide Identification: Bring your valid passport(s) and one other form of identification, such as a driver's license or ID card to the interview. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must present your permanent resident card.

Other Benefits:

Once a citizen of India is enrolled in Global Entry, he/she will also be eligible to participate in TSA Precheck. Visit the TSA Precheck program website for more information.

Travel Requirements:

All Indian Global Entry members must have a valid passport and a valid visa. Global Entry members who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents must maintain updated visa information with CBP. If a Global Entry member obtains a new visa, or obtains a new petition for a work visa, the member must notify CBP in-person at a Global Entry enrollment center. A member must visit an enrollment center to have CBP add visa and/or update visa information. If the visa information is incomplete or not properly updated with CBP, the Global Entry kiosk may incorrectly calculate the member’s class of admission and admission date. A member must visit an enrollment center in-person to add or update visa information.

Last modified: May 17, 2018
Print Wikipost

Global Entry for Citizens of India

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Ettihad Guest
Hi All,
Same as everyone, got my Conditional Approval yesterday. Received an email from CBP to that effect. I am Indian citizen living in India. Applied on Oct 30th and finished police verification by mid November. Have scheduled interview at JFK on June 27th.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by vedanta_visharad
Hi All,
Same as everyone, got my Conditional Approval yesterday. Received an email from CBP to that effect. I am Indian citizen living in India. Applied on Oct 30th and finished police verification by mid November. Have scheduled interview at JFK on June 27th.
which city in India?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Originally Posted by siddhuv89
I'm not sure. I have the same question too. If I'm right, I think you'll need some valid USA visa with you. If you have a B1/B2 visa that hasn't expired, maybe you can submit that during your interview. I think it should be accepted as this program is open to all Indians, even those on B1/B2 visa.
The CBP website has this information - All Indian Global Entry members must have a valid passport and a valid visa. Global Entry members who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents must maintain updated visa information with CBP. If a Global Entry member obtains a new visa, or obtains a new petition for a work visa, the member must notify CBP in-person at a Global Entry enrollment center. A member must visit an enrollment center to have CBP add visa and/or update visa information. If the visa information is incomplete or not properly updated with CBP, the Global Entry kiosk may incorrectly calculate the member’s class of admission and admission date . A member must visit an enrollment center in-person to add or update visa information.

This leads me to believe that you need a valid visa and must be the visa under which you are allowed to enter the US. So if you're working on an H1-B visa, you will not be able to use your B1/B2 visa. I suggest that you take an interview date after you have a new H1-B visa to avoid any complications.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Srinivas_Kabbi

my visa got expired April 12. Would that cause a non approval in the interview? Of course i94 is still valid due to extension
You absolutely need a valid visa stamp prior to heading to your visa interview. If your visa stamp has expired, and you are conditionally approved, you should set an interview date a few months into the future, and get your visa stamped in the meantime.

Once you are conditionally approved you must get CBP interview done within one year, otherwise your conditional approval expires.

Last edited by anirudh666; Jun 8, 2018 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:32 am

I'm not sure. I have the same question too. If I'm right, I think you'll need some valid USA visa with you. If you have a B1/B2 visa that hasn't expired, maybe you can submit that during your interview. I think it should be accepted as this program is open to all Indians, even those on B1/B2 visa.
Yes, you can use B1\B2 visa for Global Entry, and update it later when you get your H1B renewed.

However, it can sometimes be difficult sometimes to keep track of all this, and one can end up making a mistakes (I am very forgetful sometimes)

If you use Global Entry with the incorrect visa (B1\B2 instead of H1B or O1 or whatever you have), your entry will be recorded incorrectly.

Each time you get your visa stamped, it must be updated with CBP before using it for Global Entry, otherwise your entry into US will be recorded incorrectly.
siddhuv89 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by anirudh666
You absolutely need a valid visa stamp prior to heading to your visa interview. If your visa stamp has expired, and you are conditionally approved, you should set an interview date a few months into the future, and get your visa stamped in the meantime.

Once you are conditionally approved you must get CBP interview done within one year, otherwise your conditional approval expires.
is there a link which tells you that you need a valid visa stamped for interview? While filling out the online form I did not have my visa valid. Also the conditional approval does not ask for a valid stamp just for passport and address proof like license , bills etc
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:22 am

I would say, call the CBP before heading to your Global Entry interview, and let me know if the reply you get contradicts what I heard. Their phones are +1-202-325-8000 or +1-877-227-5511 (open Monday-Friday 9AM - 4PM EST).
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:22 am

is there a link which tells you that you need a valid visa stamped for interview? While filling out the online form I did not have my visa valid. Also the conditional approval does not ask for a valid stamp just for passport and address proof like license , bills etc
I spoke to US CBP over the phone several times, and one of them yelled at me repeatedly that I needed a valid visa stamp prior to an interview.

When I got hold of a more calm CBP officer, he explained that they need a visa to "attach" to your Global Entry account.

When you filled out the CBP application, remember that it asked for your visa number (written in red letters at the bottom right of your US Visa stamp). It may well have expired at the time, but you had to enter it anyway.

I would say, call the CBP before heading to your Global Entry interview (open 9AM - 4PM EST), and let me know if the reply you get contradicts what I heard. Their phones are +1-202-325-8000 or +1-877-227-5511
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by anirudh666
Yes, you can use B1\B2 visa for Global Entry, and update it later when you get your H1B renewed.

However, it can sometimes be difficult sometimes to keep track of all this, and one can end up making a mistakes (I am very forgetful sometimes)

If you use Global Entry with the incorrect visa (B1\B2 instead of H1B or O1 or whatever you have), your entry will be recorded incorrectly.

Each time you get your visa stamped, it must be updated with CBP before using it for Global Entry, otherwise your entry into US will be recorded incorrectly.
Thanks. That's what I thought too. My current visa is still valid till June 21 and my interview is on June 12. Hopefully it should get accepted!
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:41 am

You definitely need a valid visa (Either H1B or B1/B2). My interview appointment letter says that I need to bring passport, visa and driver's license. I have attached the last page of my interview letter here.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:59 am

You definitely need a valid visa (Either H1B or B1/B2). My interview appointment letter says that I need to bring passport, visa and driver's license. I have attached the last page of my interview letter here.
will try calling them and ask about it.

my interview mentions passport for proof of citizenship and entry into US

Please bring to your interview:
Passport - INDIA (For proof of citizenship and entry into the United States)
Driver's license
Your Membership Number/PASSID (Recommended, not required)
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:36 am

I guess they are processing the applications in reverse order of application date as we can see that people applied in November got approved first and then people in October are getting approved now.
Hopefully, they will reach July in a month.

When we go to the interview, how long will we get TSA/GEP membership? Is it 5 years or is it tied to our Visa stamping date, I987 validity period or Passport expiry date?
siddhuv89 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:10 am

Checked with the CBP on call and they did say that they need a valid visa stamp. I have to cancel my appointment until after my visa stamp.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:12 am

Checked with the CBP on call and they did say that they need a valid visa stamp. I have to cancel my appointment until after my visa stamp.
Do you have a valid B1/B2 visa? Maybe you can use that instead
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:20 am

Don't cancel it - postpone it to, say, December 1. When you get a visa stamp, reschedule per your convenience, but you only have an year to get visa stamp, after that you have start enrollment from scratch.

Make sure to keep postponing appointment until visa is stamped

Last edited by anirudh666; Jun 8, 2018 at 1:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.