Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Application- Customs Infraction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I live in Canada, and I am considering applying for a NEXUS card since I've recently started travelling more frequently to the U.S.

In March of last year, I was returning to Canada, and declared the value of goods that I'd purchased there. I was flagged, and sent to secondary inspection. In addition to what I had purchased and declared, I had received a gift of some expensive perfume, which the inspector deduced would put me over the allotted $800 limit. I had neglected to declare the value of the gift- primarily because I didn't know how much it cost, but I should have known to claim at least something for it. I was sent away without paying any duty or taxes, but told there "would be a note on my file." I never received any report, nothing in the mail, and paid nothing.

Since then, I have scrupulously declared everything. In the two times I returned to Canada since then, I was sent to secondary inspection once, I believe because I declared over my $800 limit. I was waived through quickly without any actual inspection- we had a brief friendly chat, and nothing was mentioned about any "note on my file."

I know that in applying to NEXUS, you need to declare violations of customs law. I also have read that "notes on your file" remain for two years after the incident. Is this considered a violation of customs law that would prevent me from getting a NEXUS card? If "notes" go away after two years, should I simply wait another year or so before applying? Or should I not worry at all about this situation, and apply anyway?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by TOTraveller77
Hello,

I live in Canada, and I am considering applying for a NEXUS card since I've recently started travelling more frequently to the U.S.

In March of last year, I was returning to Canada, and declared the value of goods that I'd purchased there. I was flagged, and sent to secondary inspection. In addition to what I had purchased and declared, I had received a gift of some expensive perfume, which the inspector deduced would put me over the allotted $800 limit. I had neglected to declare the value of the gift- primarily because I didn't know how much it cost, but I should have known to claim at least something for it. I was sent away without paying any duty or taxes, but told there "would be a note on my file." I never received any report, nothing in the mail, and paid nothing.

Since then, I have scrupulously declared everything. In the two times I returned to Canada since then, I was sent to secondary inspection once, I believe because I declared over my $800 limit. I was waived through quickly without any actual inspection- we had a brief friendly chat, and nothing was mentioned about any "note on my file."

I know that in applying to NEXUS, you need to declare violations of customs law. I also have read that "notes on your file" remain for two years after the incident. Is this considered a violation of customs law that would prevent me from getting a NEXUS card? If "notes" go away after two years, should I simply wait another year or so before applying? Or should I not worry at all about this situation, and apply anyway?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Once in a LEO database, ALWAYS in a LEO database.

The test for these programs is your honesty and trustworthiness therefore you should be forthcoming. If notes about you are in the DB and you don't say something then they know there is an issue regarding your honesty and trustworthiness to be considered in adjudicating your application. If you say something then whether you are or are not in the DB you will have provided some assurance about your honesty and trustworthiness. You might state on your application something to the effect of, "in March 2015 I forgot to list a gift of a bottle of perfume for which I did not know the value."

You would then have the opportunity at your interview to provide more details of your "nefarious" behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.